Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3061808 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over 1000!!!!! (pages)
i had a 2x2" peice of uncut pcb lying on my desk upstairs earlyer when i was cleaning my room and all my junk boxes separating **** from good ****, and crap from junk. i kept all the junk and good ****, discarding the crap and ****. needless to say my room is theoretically cleaner now, though it doesnt seem to have changed much by its outward appearance.

anyway i decided that since i had this piece of pcb, which was trimmings from my last pcb project i decided id make me a nice little power supply for my pi. lacking the parts to do a switch mode supply, i opted for a most basic lm7805 circuit, big ass traces, and places for one regulator, four capacitors, one schottky diode (for reverse polarity protection), one led, one current limiting resistor for said led, a 3-pin input header (same pinout as my diy battery packs), a 2-pin output header, and a barrel jack for 12v input. the board is small enough to fit inside the lego case i made for my pi, so i dont have to have an externally mounted supply (except for the usb hub im using).

i designed it as a one sided board where the other side is essentially a heat sink for the regulator with big holes where the parts go so alignment wasnt critical. i actually have heatsing over about 40% of the other side where there is only a handful of traces. dispite the fact that the heat sink on the regulator is grounded internally i isolated the ground plane from the heat sink area which in hind sight was probibly a bad idea. i could have had much cleaner edcge traces by side stepping pads right into the ground plane and out of the way. i also scratched a cat head into the corner with an exacto knife, i now have a copper clad drawing of a kitty on my ground plane which is about a quarter inch whisker to whisker.

the iron on step was an epic fail. i tried it again (it always pays to print multiple copies of the same design on the sheet of transfer paper) and it was no better. so i gabe up and started filling in the holes with a sharpie. and fixing mistakes (and drawing a kitty) with an exacto knife. so it took 2 and a half batches of my etchat to cut this thing (my last board used 4). i had to make an extra half batch because the etchant stopped reacting when i was close to done. also i found that sharpie ink doesnt last long in the etchang, i had to re-touch up between some batches to prevent dissolving a couple traces. but the results werent half bad. i didnt spend as much time on the cleaning i suspect. also tape offset. seriously scotch tape is thick enough to prevent large swaths of circuit board from getting ironed. i think in the future i will only tape one edge, and leave some space between it and any traces. and then iron to the side of it so it doesnt keep the iron from applying pressure evenly to the whole board.

also it seemed my etchant put out a lot of fumes this time. idk what they were but it smelled like a swimming pool. but when faced with the choice between doing what i whant to do, and chemical poisioning, i will always choose the former. i may stop handling the stuff with my bare hands though. tomorrow i get to break in my new dremel drill press since i finally got the pcb bits i ordered for it. its 4am, and i dont want to piss of the neibors,theyve been *****y lately.

tldr: you suck and should be on fire for not reading my awesome wall of text post! :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:54:53 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
I just take the bus
**** all this driving ****

I'll walk and bus wherever I need to go
Yeah, try doing that when there aren't any buses around. :p

Then I walk!
...22km...
"No"

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I visited Wikipedia today and found out two things:

1. There was a meetup 3 days ago in Singapore; and
2. I'm marked as a Missing Wikipedian.

My job's done. :D
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
First day ever of Uni classes tomorrow.

Help. :shaking:
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
my first year and a half was far easier than high school. 

**** got REAL junior year though.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i finished building that power supply for my raspberry pi. as a bonus it fits in my lego pi case. puctures later when i feel like it.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I start Teaching Assistant duties tomorrow.

Mainly in charge of grading, but also helping any students who get over their crippling shyness enough to visit my office (I have an office now! Kickass! :cool:) with their work.

This should be interesting. And hey, having money is good too.  :)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam

Kinda late to introduce imaginary and complex numbers.  :p
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

ic wot u did thur.

you laugh, but come to think of it, i DID start using imaginary numbers in junior year.  in actual, no-**** real-life solutions to neutronics equations. 

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i imagine lots of things that arent really there. numbers are no different. i wonder if thats why im good at learning complex math by accident.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline z64555

• Steam

ic wot u did thur.

you laugh, but come to think of it, i DID start using imaginary numbers in junior year.  in actual, no-**** real-life solutions to neutronics equations.

Nuke engineering, huh? awesome.

What did the imaginary numbers represent? Or was it just used in lieu of a bunch of sine and cosines?
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

What he said. My first sem was an absolute breeze.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

ic wot u did thur.

Nuke engineering, huh? awesome.

What did the imaginary numbers represent? Or was it just used in lieu of a bunch of sine and cosines?

honestly, i don't remember.  i am exaggerating a bit.  yes, they actually WERE there, but they weren't super-important or prevalent or anything.  it was some step along the magic path to the solution (seriously, one of my professors wrote "magic" on the board as a step in a derivation), or it was part of a solution matrix but not the one that actually applied or something like that.  in any case, it's something the computer codes do that we learned just so we aren't putting faith in a black box program.

Offline z64555

• Steam
Huh... ok. Talk about "Ok, here's an equation, but don't try to derive it! Just use a computer program or this fat book of tables we give you."

EEEN and signals analysis has one of those, for the Gaussian Bell curve integration I think. Probably not as complex as whatever you where dealing with though.
chief1983

------------

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm trying a new approach !which I believe I've finessed over the last four months.. Forming a relationship without investing ANY emotional attachment. That level 99 jo-jo that I finally cracked. .... Well, we've reached a parity, to the point where she's bunking off work in tower hill to give me lunchtime treats. I can't understand why it took me this long to understand how to get over one of the final hurdles in my female chronicle of understanding--( long term super hot female retention) ... The key, is to ensure that they know that they need you MORE than you need them. This is all down to basic marketing, in two ways you can approach this. Try to create a need for something you offer, or adapt yourself to meet an existing need. I might actually write my thoughts one day lol.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
The Dekker Chronicles
Meet the mind behind the man
And the man behind the woman
"No"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I'm trying a new approach !which I believe I've finessed over the last four months.. Forming a relationship without investing ANY emotional attachment. That level 99 jo-jo that I finally cracked. .... Well, we've reached a parity, to the point where she's bunking off work in tower hill to give me lunchtime treats. I can't understand why it took me this long to understand how to get over one of the final hurdles in my female chronicle of understanding--( long term super hot female retention) ... The key, is to ensure that they know that they need you MORE than you need them. This is all down to basic marketing, in two ways you can approach this. Try to create a need for something you offer, or adapt yourself to meet an existing need. I might actually write my thoughts one day lol.

my trick has always been to date women with severe emotional problems. they are more likely to get cock addiction than your normal gals. of course you got to keep giving them cock, otherwise they will find other cocks. but i figure what dekker says here is mostly true. as much as women rant and rave about wanting men who are emotionally open and **** like that, what they really want is to be dominated. they are highly controlled by their emotions, and yours will only get in your way. also it helps if you own a van.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
So I thought for the first time in 8 weeks I'd actually have a light-ish workload, as one of my subjects which normally releases assignments on Friday didn't upload one. Then today (Tuesday), the lecturer emails everyone basically saying "hai guys I forgot to upload the assignment last week, here it is. By the way, it's still due this Friday. Have fun!"

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline z64555

• Steam
So I thought for the first time in 8 weeks I'd actually have a light-ish workload, as one of my subjects which normally releases assignments on Friday didn't upload one. Then today (Tuesday), the lecturer emails everyone basically saying "hai guys I forgot to upload the assignment last week, here it is. By the way, it's still due this Friday. Have fun!"

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I've heard businesses like to pull that stunt, too... so consider it as practice!
chief1983

------------

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
I took my first Calc2 exam/test yesterday. I almost didn't finish, but I think I did pretty good.