Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3061826 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over 1000!!!!! (pages)
Got inked on Saturday.

On Sunday my 18 month old collie won her first agility ribbons. Two of em :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
And with his post, the epic saga of Dekker's conquests comes to a close. 'tis truly a dark day for WHIYL >1000

In other news, epic potato is epic
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
She must NEVER EVER KNOW.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I have been edumacated in the ways of restricted and non-restricted firearms. Awesome
Send in the paper works, and will have my gun license within a couple of months

EDIT:
Looking for good Bolt Action Rifles. There's probably a few gun toting folks here, ideas? I'm looking for affordability first, everything else second

What's your price range?
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Where do you live that has a wait time of a couple months for permission to buy a bolt-action rifle?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
She must NEVER EVER KNOW.

Yeah, I'm not too sure if she could handle the epicness of that potato either.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
Where do you live that has a wait time of a couple months for permission to buy a bolt-action rifle?

Not permission, couple months after the paperwork is sent into the Government before they process the license request and purchase. After I get that wonderful gun license, I can purchase whatever whenever (non-restricted anyhow, restricted firearms require more paperwork). Also Canada

What's your price range?

Anything below 800$. Realistically, if I can get something with not too much difference in quality for cheaper, I'll most likely take the less expensive.
"No"

So it is a general firearms license then for all non-restricted weapons, presumably including your average handgun.  Still can't believe it takes a couple months for them to do all the paperwork, though.

What will you be doing with it?  Target shooting, hunting, mounting it on your wall (please not this one)?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline deathfun

Non-restricted and restricted license.
Non-restricted is basically anything with a barrel length of 18.5 inches that isn't covered in the prohibited list. Restricted is anything with a barrel length shorter than that
Reason for two months is general bureaucracy crap. It gets sent to the other side of the country, taken a look at, sent back to where I live, taken a look at, then sent BACK to the other side of the country. It's a Federal system though, which explains it. The other benefit to guns being everything Federal is that the regulations do NOT vary from Province to Province

As for what I intend for it, target shooting and hunting.
"No"

So damn, two months before you can buy a rifle and even more time and paperwork for a pistol?  Jesus, not even California, America's land of firearms restrictions, is that bad.  You take a 10 minute multiple choice exam about handgun safety right at the counter and then wait I think 15 days before you can pick it up, and then you just need to show the guy at the counter you know how to safely load and unload your handgun.

And now, well, what's your intended game?  Deer, elk?  Personally, I'd go for something chambered in .30-06 as that round is very effective at most ranges and hits hard enough to take down elk while not overkilling against deer.  It doesn't work so well at longer ranges as a .308 or one of the many rounds around 7mm/.280, but the increased velocity at shorter ranges will give you the extra oomph you need to help make that shot a kill shot.

Offline deathfun

No no, not two months before buying a rifle. Two months until I get my license so I can buy a rifle or thirty (dem Russian SKSs are cheap)
Once I get that, I can go gun happy on rifles. Handguns need to be registered and have an ATT (Authorization to Transport) to go with it

Intended game would most likely be deer. Not anytime soon though, later down in my life. It'd just be handy to have a rifle that can do that which will stick by me for years on end

"No"

It'd just be handy to have a rifle that can do that which will stick by me for years on end

.308 Remington 700. /topic

Seriously. It is (should be) well within your price range, does the hunting thing, does the paper thing, and pretty much everyone has one.

Oh no, I figured once you had your license you'd be able to buy however many you wanted.  Just seems crazy to me there's two months of useless bureaucracy where they mail paperwork back and forth.  Also your handgun laws are in this American's opinion ridiculous. :P

Suongadon: I too recommend the Remington 700 as that's what I have and I love it, but in .30-06 because I figure if he ever wanted to move to elk after deer he wouldn't need to buy a whole new rifle.  I just hope he doesn't buy one with a gorgeous lacquered maple stock like mine since there's no way I'd ever take this out to a muddy, dirty forest. :P

Offline deathfun

.308 Remington 700. /topic

Seriously. It is (should be) well within your price range, does the hunting thing, does the paper thing, and pretty much everyone has one.

Took a look
Apparently it isn't within price range...
Not bull****ting. I did find a SPS chambered in .270 Win for 650$ though, but most for sale in Vancouver apparently go for 900+
D:

Though did see a Mosin Nagant for a mere 150 xD
"No"

A 165 grain .308 is plenty for elk up to 100 yards IMO, and if a game shot is longer than that, it shouldn't be taken. Plus .30-06 rounds cost more, and barrel wear is about half again as much as a .308.

...I had to, sorry :p. In the end I think its basically down to personal preference. Best bet is to see if you (fundeath) can shoot some rounds through the models of whatever you are ultimately deciding between at a range or some weird redneck's back porch and buy the one you like best.

I just hope he doesn't buy one with a gorgeous lacquered maple stock like mine since there's no way I'd ever take this out to a muddy, dirty forest. :P

People go into forests? I just sit on my back porch and... :(

Took a look
Apparently it isn't within price range...
Not bull****ting. I did find a SPS chambered in .270 Win for 650$ though, but most for sale in Vancouver apparently go for 900+
D:

****. I could just about buy one at a local shop and mail it out there for 800. :(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:30:44 pm by Suongadon »

I live in the Southern California suburbs.  There are no deer around here and my back porch points directly at... other houses.  Well, once you get past the cinder block wall and the cement drainage ditch.  Fortunately there's a giant desert a few several hours away by car where you and some friends can set up camp and start shooting off your rifles you can't shoot anywhere else and there's nobody around to call the police to report gunshots, most likely because everyone who lives in the towns are already out there in the desert with you, only they're possibly drunk and definitely shooting up propane tanks because there's literally nothing else to do in the middle of the Mojave Desert besides drink beer and blow stuff up.

If you think a .308 will work fine, I'll defer to you since you clearly know more than I do.  I've never actually gone hunting so all my knowledge comes from guesswork and firearms magazines. :P  .30-06 would be my preference though since I really do like overkill as opposed to underkill, however unlikely.  The cost around here for .30-06 is only a few bucks higher compared to .30-30 (family's other .30 rifle and yes it is old), but .308 may be significantly cheaper due to higher supply since you can always fire surplus 7.62mm NATO in a .308 rifle.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Get a nugget. Also maybe should start a new topic if this is going to get involved. Maybe.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline deathfun

****. I could just about buy one at a local shop and mail it out there for 800. :(

The unfortunate part is the fact that isn't legal
Unless you go through all that paperwork involved which ends up costing me far more than 800$ to begin with D:

What's your thoughts on the WWII bolt actions? Far as I can tell, most of them are in my price range
"No"

That honestly depends on how used they are.  That Mosin-Nagant may be cheap but its probably typical shoddy Soviet manufacture and most likely heavily used.