Author Topic: The official Diaspora eyecandy thread  (Read 390187 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: The official Diaspora eyecandy thread
To be honest I think with BTRL we were concerned about it turning into a set of missile engagements as opposed to a gun fight which is BSG's bread and butter.  Even though I personally thought air defense missiles should be insta kill on solid hits and should be relatively accurate, it came down to a gameplay decision that 2ndaries take a back seat to ze gun show.  As for them being more deadly in insane I don't recall too many being fired at me but setting up a hit on a raider usually entailed launching a missile, observing which way the quarry flushed then "deflection shooting" the second missile to where I thought they would go.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
so a missile hit is not a killer? you could at least make it 90% of the times deadly right..?
el hombre vicio...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
so a missile hit is not a killer? you could at least make it 90% of the times deadly right..?

Wrong forum to ask about BTRL's missile capabilities i'm afraid
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Why would you base dogfights on missiles? They would be less a) exciting and b) close to the show.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Why would you base dogfights on missiles? They would be less a) exciting and b) close to the show.

I'm not saying making them the center of the dogfight... I'm saying give them importance as you can carry only a couple of this, they should be used carefully and as so they should make a difference... if not why bothering in loading a viper with explosive tubes on the outer hull that can explode on enemy fire impact?
el hombre vicio...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'd probably go in guns only.  Honestly, I can't see them being too effective as an anti-fighter weapon, and still not getting out of hand.  I mean if the kill count in multi is low, then it means it's probably getting boring, and if it's high, then you'll be respawning often enough that you'll keep bringing more missiles into the fight.  So if they are effective, you can bet your ass you'll be unloading them as quickly as is useful every respawn.  And like you said, if they weren't effective, I wouldn't load them out.  Ship would weigh more, explosive as you said, an overall waste of ammo when the fighter does blow up.  Don't load out with weapons you can't effectively use.  This is why XvT back in the day rarely had missiles in dogfights, most of them were primaries only.  Shame that was so difficult to do in FS.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Rainman

Great point. For me the solution would be to load out less missiles, because when there are 8 loaded on a fighter that respawns frequently it undoubtedly leads to a mostly missile fight, as explained above. I think a pair of highly effective missiles is more like it. This means most of the fighting is done with guns, and the missiles are employed strategically when they would count and not just thrown around so they don't go to waste.

And also, i think there should be a stockpile in the battlestar, and depending on the mission, that is the loadout you get. If it is a multiplayer mission based on "33" or one of those engagements, 0-2 missiles should be used per fighter. If it is the ground attack mission on the tylium station, a full load of 8 should be used. This is becaus of mission requirements and the number of fighters being used, so less missiles to go around per fighter in 33 while more in other missions.

The only thing i hated was when i felt like the missiles under the wings were useless and the only reason to use them is to make an enemy nervous and put him on the defensive.

And about the insane level, that is the level i was playing on. I would go for a gauntlet with a wing of ai fighters on my side, they would all die by the second round and I would be forced into a circle fight as 2 wings of raiders attack me at a time. The funny thing is all other raider wings just sat still And waited for the two wings engaging me to get destroyed before they would come in. I would be flying around them and they were just chilling.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Another thought, don't replenish secondaries when you respawn.  You have 8 missiles for the whole mission.  Period.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline aRaven

wow...another thread gone off topic

Offline Rainman

wow...another thread gone off topic

Hey there was eye candy somewhere up there a page back... we're not completely off topic. Besides, these are some good ideas being thrown around.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Because I'm mean and like to tease people.

What's this? Something I'm working with but not telling. Ha!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:43:39 pm by Lt.Cannonfodder »

Offline Narvi

It's a rock.

I feel so anticipatory. :P

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Aww, you guessed it too soon!  :(

Offline YIIMM

It's Orion too.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
How cooool!  I had this idea a while back... "why don't we have a skybox with our constelations?"  :yes:
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Unfortunately, a skybox from the perspective of Earth's surface is rather unrealistic. Of course, the closer you are to the planet, the less so this will become... The problem is that stars of course are not aligned in an ideal 2D pattern; that's obvious. A free program like Celestia might help in the process of rendering skyboxes-if you know the general location the mission will take place in within or near a given system, you can go to that location in celestia and generate a render from looking around and taking pictures, possibly...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Looks like you're creating a cutscene where we fly over the rock and zoom towards a battlestar, as a homage to the miniseries.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Yeah I've read that article...  It's still cool to see the constellations even if they are random
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Looks like you're creating a cutscene where we fly over the rock and zoom towards a battlestar, as a homage to the miniseries.
Sharp mind, this one has.