Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 40603 times)

I don't think China became much of a western threat until the Soviets collapsed. As they were technically an ally during WW2, last shown in (hahaha) Pearl Harbour where the Mitchells or whatnot bombing Tokyo tried to make it for the Chinese lines.

There was the minor matter of the Korean War.

That's debatable. The Chinese were relying on soviet air power at the time were they not? They weren't the nuclear, global threat like Russia was. From a 1950's perspective, China might be looked at as an up and comer but Russia was the primary threat I would think. And I don't know if there were any indications at the time to suggest that the future would hold something different.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think China became much of a western threat until the Soviets collapsed. As they were technically an ally during WW2, last shown in (hahaha) Pearl Harbour where the Mitchells or whatnot bombing Tokyo tried to make it for the Chinese lines.

There was the minor matter of the Korean War.
Someone misquoted, methinks. I'll let you figure out whom.

Yep, sorry, my mistake. I'll fix the original.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Yep, sorry, my mistake. I'll fix the original.
Thanks. :)

Yep, definitely don't want my fingerprints on that trainwreck of an assertion.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
ANyhoo............... :nervous:

How're people finding the GAME?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Aw crap, I lost the game!
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Pretty good game. Very much like TES4 only with guns, but that makes sense since it is on the same engine.

If I have a complaint, it's that 1: The main story quest is really short, and 2: Holy freaking bugs batman. The game is amazing, but it's quite possibly the most unstable piece of software I've installed in a very long time (14 memory leaks?? Come on...). And Bethesda definetly used more than a simple disk check for DRM (run X-Fi codecs, and play Fallout, and you'll get some unhappy).

But, despite the bugs, the game is very well done. I absolutly love the way bethesda created the atmosphere in places like Vault 106 and Vault 87. I think they toned it down a bit too much from Fallout 1 and 2, but hey it's still a fun and entertaining game.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Yeah the main quest is only five or six main "quests" but the whole atmos is amazing. I like vault 87 :nod: but stay the hell away from the south west corner........ :shaking:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
I like it a lot.....after the CTDs, the BSoDs and the freezes. It's almost the same game engine as what Oblivion uses, just a few additions to make it look better, but what ever they did badly broke it. I run Oblivion perfectly (odd once in a blue moon freeze after alt tabbing) on the same hardware as Fallout 3.

Granted, my rig is not the most powerful, but as it gets over min specs, I believe I deserve a working game.

I'll have to wait the year for a patch, because they haven't released one (don't point to the thing they have on their forums, that's a fix for a MS live problem, it is *not* a patch in my eyes.)
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Guess I'm lucky that I haven't encountered a single freeze yet and I've been playing over two weeks now. The game has crashed sometimes after fast traveling to another location, which is a known bug. But aside of that, I've encountered only a few very minor bugs. However, if memory leaks have anything to do with the amount of crashes and freezes the game has, I guess 8GB of RAM has something to do with me having none aside of the fast travel bug. :D

Guess I'm lucky that I haven't encountered a single freeze yet and I've been playing over two weeks now. The game has crashed sometimes after fast traveling to another location, which is a known bug. But aside of that, I've encountered only a few very minor bugs. However, if memory leaks have anything to do with the amount of crashes and freezes the game has, I guess 8GB of RAM has something to do with me having none aside of the fast travel bug. :D
Yea, the mem leaks are a problem. They're over 100mb/sec in some areas, though most of them are in the 10mb/s range. It has another problem with vid cards with more than 512mb of RAM -it doesn't properly dump the cash, meaning that eventually it runs out of video ram and produces either a CTD or poor performance. My buddy running a GTX 260 with 896 (or whatever) RAM was having severe FPS issues, whereas my 9800 512 was running it without issue.

It's sad that such a great game is full of so many bugs (KOTOR2 comes to mind). But, on the other hand, I suppose the mark of a good game is one that frustrates you and yet keeps getting played!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
It actually hung twixce on my 360 :eek:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

It run smoothly on my utterly crap PC: 3,2 GHz Pentium 4 Radeon X800 1Gb RAM (less that minimum requirements) with low settings. So far I've experienced only one crash while changing maps. This leads me to believe that the stability issues you are talking about can't have been hardware related.

The game itself, ultimately, is Oblivion with guns, minus most of the level scaling and minus the Elder Scrolls wonky leveling system.

It's not a bad game.  It's not a great game.  It succeeds where Oblivion succeeds and fails where Oblivion fails.  At the end of the day, it's really just a more polished Oblivion.

Hopefully they actually do come along with a construction set, and the fandom can take it from a good game to a genuinely great one.  

We'll totally ignore the V.A.T.S. combat system here, phatosealpha... :rolleyes:

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I like it. . .
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

As I have not played the origianl FO games, much to my chagrin, I cannot compare Fallout 3 to them. However, despite its flaws, Fallout 3 is a good game with a mediocre storyline and lots and lots of side-quests typical of RPGs. The main problem is the
Spoiler:
terrible Downer Ending.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I know what you  mean,
Spoiler:
  that's why i loaded my save after i escqaped Raven Rock and am now clearing the entire map of all enemies, friends and Brahmin :yes: I intend to fully max out every stat. PS I love the Tranquilty lane sequence.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

We'll totally ignore the V.A.T.S. combat system here, phatosealpha... :rolleyes:

VATS is fundamentally a fancy invincibility/bullet time special power on top of Oblivion combat, not a mechanical change.  Since you already have at least some autoaim in real time mode (I discovered this when I used laser weapons for a while), it's more a superpower then anything else.  The underlying mechanics that VATS run on.....are Oblivion's.

And the ending
Spoiler:
wasn't a downer, it was a flat out insult to the player's intelligence.  Thank you Bethesda, for giving me a radiation immune ally 5 minutes before forcing me to a radiation death.  Your plan to set out a noble sacrifice has failed, and instead you've forced me into a stupid death.  And worse, you guys realized exactly that I was going to do that, then had the gaul to have the NPC in question refuse with some dip**** quote about destiny.  Literal Translation - Sorry pal, we're going for a Jesus story here, which means you have to die, even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

But hey, you didn't notice when we started a war between two groups over who would turn on a water purifier first, or when the enemy colonel, despite being radiation dead, came back to life and rebelled against the computer, cause he certainly didn't want to kill humanity, he just wanted to turn on the water purifier, and he was willing to kill other people who wanted to turn on the water purifier to do it.........wait, what?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:22:57 pm by phatosealpha »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress

And the ending
Spoiler:
wasn't a downer, it was a flat out insult to the player's intelligence.  Thank you Bethesda, for giving me a radiation immune ally 5 minutes before forcing me to a radiation death.  Your plan to set out a noble sacrifice has failed, and instead you've forced me into a stupid death.  And worse, you guys realized exactly that I was going to do that, then had the gaul to have the NPC in question refuse with some dip**** quote about destiny.  Literal Translation - Sorry pal, we're going for a Jesus story here, which means you have to die, even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

But hey, you didn't notice when we started a war between two groups over who would turn on a water purifier first, or when the enemy colonel, despite being radiation dead, came back to life and rebelled against the computer, cause he certainly didn't want to kill humanity, he just wanted to turn on the water purifier, and he was willing to kill other people who wanted to turn on the water purifier to do it.........wait, what?

That is quite apt :lol:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
And the ending
Spoiler:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.