Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 40459 times)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Spoiler:
The ending was seriously weak. And with the doors--you're only HEAVILY irradiated for a few moments. Punch in 2-1-6 and enter and you should be able to take the whole 5 steps back into the airlock and *ta da* you're safe with Sarah "Sentinel" Lyons. Then the other thing--one time I played through, my RADIATION IMMUNE FOLLOWER stepped in there too! He was in the room with me, and he still refused to do it for me while I stay safe. And then the OTHER thing--I had Dogmeat there on one play-through, and I can say basically say "I guess this is the end. Bye bye, puppy." even though it's Lyons who's turning it on! Eee-gad!
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
About Fawkes
Spoiler:
I can see he has been mentioned several times, but yet nobody has tackled the obvious issues with him.

The damn mutie is unstoppable. He has so much hitpoints and so much firepower than he is pretty much one-man army, even beating the player himself thanks to unlimited ammo in his gatling laser and almost instant healing if he exists combat even for a moment.

Fawkes even single handedly beat a behemoth all by himself while I was standing a good distance away my jaw on ground. Then he has the nerve to shout "Next time put up a fight!" or "Too easy!" :wtf:

Normally I would be pissed off because of his tendencies to run at enemies guns blazing. But he can actually handle it. Actually I haven't been in a fight yet that Fawkes couldn't handle by himself. But I suppose he could only lose if he gets stuck somehow being unable to fire at his target. :rolleyes: (It has happened)

The "next best" companion for good aligned player is Cross, she got herself beaten to death by a giant radscorpion. :doubt: Talk about useless. Her laser pistol is way too weak and melee just tends to get you killed faster.

I'm only keeping Fawkes around because I want to explore the remaining places fast before finishing the main quest. He really does take away all challenge in the game. That and he is useful for carrying around my big guns. :p

And about weapons...
Spoiler:
Also, I love plasma rifle. To me it is utterly useless in real-time combat because of its projectile velocity (SLOW!) but in VATS it is awesome. Even without crits I can often one-shot enclavies with the rifle. Chinese Assault Rifle and Combat Shotgun are good guns, retaining their value throughout the game all the way to the end.

Has anyone actually found any reason to put skill points to big guns? Unfortunately I put "extra" skill points into big guns and got the size matters perk three times only to realize that I haven't ever needed big guns. I've tested them but they're still worthless most of the time. Plus they weight so much that it is a pain to carry them around "just in case", which is why I never had them with me. Now I have Fawkes who is like invulnerable walking laser gatling turret.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
That's the same reason i DON'T use him. To be honest i paid out hard earned cash. I want my moneys worth from this game. Besides Jericho has more entertaining comments.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Spoiler:
Fawkes is stupidly overpowered, yes, but the thing is, when I got him the first, there was nothing left but a bunch of supermutants I could two shot with ol' painless so it didn't matter much.  And the second time he joined, 95% of the fightining was done by the giant robot.  Even I had trouble finding things to actually kill with LP around, and I can stop time.  Not much use to be superpowerful when there is nothing left to kill.

Big guns are useful for 1 reason alone.  The flamer.  If you take that and the pyromaniac perk, it becomes a roomcleaner.  And really, pyro is a very nice perk.  50% extra damage is never something to sneer at, and it covers at least 3 different weapon type - melee, heavy, and energy (the special alien blaster).

Plus, splash damage doesn't tend to disrupt sneak like direct does, so you can be a rocket ninja.  Yehaw.
[/spoil]

@Fury
Spoiler:
I agree about Fawks. Ever since he joined my little ground my leveling has slowed to a crawl... he just kills guys before I can even get close to them. I've seen him take on a pair of deathclaws and win. Definitely an overpowered companion.

Dogmeat on the other hand I love having around :D

Spoiler:
Out of curiosity, anybody got to that ending sequence with Charon or the Robot as your ally?  If so, what pathetic excuse do they come up with for not saving your poor, about to be fried behind?

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Interesting. I've not had the robot, but what about Butch and some others? I'm sure they could tag along.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
LP? Or a different bot?
I killed that nutty president one who had the declaration of independence :nervous:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Liberty Prime

The badass robot at the very end of the game.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Spoiler:
Out of curiosity, anybody got to that ending sequence with Charon or the Robot as your ally?  If so, what pathetic excuse do they come up with for not saving your poor, about to be fried behind?

Interesting. I've not had the robot, but what about Butch and some others? I'm sure they could tag along.

LP? Or a different bot?

Spoiler:
I know the one, spoiler: he craps car sized nukes, i just wondered which robot you get to follow you about  :D

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

No, no, not that robot.  He can't go inside with you.  This is the companion robot, a Mr. Gutsy you can buy off a traveling junk dealer if you've got neutral karma.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Spoiler:
There are a whole load of companions. I'm tempted to just f**k around with the storyline. You know the Dec of Ind quest? Grab the girl from that as your follower. The Big Trouble in Big Town quest? Free and equip the 2 captured people. That'll give you three additional followers. Any other quest you get a (temporary) follower in would be fair game as well, of course. All them, plus whoever else you have as a normal companion and Dogmeat of course, and bring them ALL to the control room at the end of the game. That'd be an interesting scenario: and of course Bethesda would forget to program all followers (I'm guessing). Anyways--I still have to do negative-karma and neutral-karma play-throughs.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Yep i was negative from the start, from Birth in fact when i opened the gate and tried to run past dad into the big wide vault..... :lol:

Also i shot a dog :(
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Yep i was negative from the start, from Birth in fact when i opened the gate and tried to run past dad into the big wide vault..... :lol:

Also i shot a dog :(
I found the Animal Friend perk very useful: less ammo used on Yao Guai.

Offline Shade

That was actually a fairly positive review by Yahtzee standards :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I thought the same thing. I haven't played the game yet but was expecting to see a lot more bashing from him, going by what people have been saying on forums.

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
I thought the same thing. I haven't played the game yet but was expecting to see a lot more bashing from him, going by what people have been saying on forums.

He hated Oblivion. I think he'll hate Fallout 3 a lot more when he completes the main quest.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I'd like the game a teeny bit more if there were a few more randomly spawned enemies in the great big-wide wasteland...  It gets boring once you've cleared EVERYTHING...... :(

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
I'd like the game a teeny bit more if there were a few more randomly spawned enemies in the great big-wide wasteland...  It gets boring once you've cleared EVERYTHING...... :(

I agree.
Spoiler:
I cleared the mall 95% of the way, so now there's no super-mutants to kill. I've taken to wandering the wastes and killing all the Enclave and Raiders and Deathclaws I can. Other then that, check out andale... the place is class AAA+++ weird.