Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 40814 times)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Ok now I'm seriously pissed. There is no reason what-so-ever that I should have to buy add-ons for an incomplete game. I already bought the damn game for $50 on launch day and I've waited for months for compatibility to be addressed. So now why the hell should I pay again?
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Because said content was created after the game went gold and those developers need to be paid. They did not advert anywhere that future content would be free of charge.

Never had problems with F3 so I'm content. Although I didn't finish it as I lost my interest soon after I got Fawkes, and didn't bother to finish the last plot quest. I'm not going to buy this addon however, but I might buy the upcoming expansion which picks off where F3 ended.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
To me it's stupid. You can tell their assets were used in designing the world, but the storyline was bullocks. As so many people pointed out, you could fly jumbo jets through the holes in the plot. To me, that means incomplete game. Holding it off for a while would NOT have killed them, especially as they could have fixed bugs with current-generation hardware AND done the plot properly.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
They pulled the same thing with Oblivion. :/

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Just played through the Operation: Anchorage DLC. It's pretty good! Really love the look of pre-nuked tech, and it's a nice change from the regular game.

The main thing some people might have a problem with is the fact that it's no longer a free-roaming RPG-FPS. As the meat of the DLC is presented as a simulation, it essentially turns Fallout 3 into as pure an FPS as is possible. Very linear. Quite arcade-y. The use of V.A.T.S. is no longer a necessity (and I found myself using it less and less as the simulation progressed), and all bodies dissolve upon death. You're given a strict mission from the get-go, and the paths to your objectives are clear-cut and with no variation.

That's not to say it's bad. It takes a lot out, but it's still a lot of fun. While you're stuck with a limited range of military-issue weapons, the ability to requisition a team of helpers ranging from simple infantry to Sentrybots more than makes up for the lack of weapons. The presence of a lot of scripting in a lot of places also helps give the impression that you're part of the actual counterattack. When mounting the final strike on the Chinese HQ, you see Verti-birds land around you and unload squads of T-21b infantrymen, airstrikes destroying Chinese autoturrets, and so much more. Seeing this event really adds some flavor to the Fallout universe.

Ultimately, it's only a simulation and therefore has no greater bearing on the greater world of Fallout 3, but it does net you a sizable reward in military tech. Just don't be greedy.

It only costs some 800 points, which is steep but isn't too bad in my book.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:31:43 am by Mefustae »

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
my little brother picked it up[ the other day, and i think it is OKO, not great, seems to me like 'just' a mod for elder scrolls, espicially the crappy flashlight (white torch), and i have had framerate issues with it ont he 360, which makes it seem incomplete.

kind of like CoD:WaW

Look, if you're gonna get pissy about how content should've been included instead of paid downloadable, you should really be waiting for broken steel.
That's the one where they're going to sell you the ending that doesn't suck, after all.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I started playing FO3 last night and have been doing some of the Megaton area quests. The intro sequence with you growing up was quite creative and well done. The open-ended feel of the game is great, and the story and atmosphere have been quite immersive so far. On the other hand, I don't like the random, chance-based gameplay mechanics present in a lot of things. I don't know if this is common in RPGs or what, but it's annoying. The actual combat has been pretty easy, and VATS often makes things even easier.

The game is definitely full of bugs. I already had three or four crashes, one of which required a reboot since it kept stealing the focus. The NPCs behave oddly, frequently bumping into and pushing each other around, and talking over each other constantly. There was also a huge bug where you couldn't get out of the pip-boy if you remapped the key for it, although this was fixed in the most recent patch.

Also, this game has a Doom 3-esque microstuttering graphics engine that is intolerable at anything below 60fps. There is a config file option to fix it, which is pretty much essential. It messes up the lipsyncing and you have to keep the framerate above 30 or the game speed changes, but it's much better than the alternative.

Is there any place where can you sell stuff, by the way? I picked up anything that seemed to have a good value/weight ratio, so I'm carrying a fair amount of stuff now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 12:58:05 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Shade

In the Megaton area there's the Craterside Supply store (only open during the day) and the caravans that sometimes hang around out front.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline darkone

• Space Sims will NEVER DIE
    • Space Sim Central
I could pick this game up on the PC but would like to play it on my PS3. It's just a shame that the PS3 version isn't getting an love in the downloadable content area of FO3. I will buy this game once I find out that they are supplying DLC for it on the PS3. I have to give them some props they did release a trophy patch for the PS3 version.

Is that new expansion that is coming going to be available on PS3? And wonder if it would have all the fixes and DLC inbetween ?

I could pick this game up on the PC but would like to play it on my PS3. It's just a shame that the PS3 version isn't getting an love in the downloadable content area of FO3. I will buy this game once I find out that they are supplying DLC for it on the PS3. I have to give them some props they did release a trophy patch for the PS3 version.

Is that new expansion that is coming going to be available on PS3? And wonder if it would have all the fixes and DLC inbetween ?
Seriously, get it on PC. The quality is a thousand times better.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

Seriously, get it on PC. The quality is a thousand times better.

Not to mention the user-created content, which is usually (yet sadly) better than the original content.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I picked it up for the 360.  On one hand i think it's a bit more stable on the console; the one bug I have encountered involved me shooting a Deathclaw with the Blackhawk and it promptly launching heavenward; on the other hand the downloads and mods are much easier for the PC 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Ultimately, it's only a simulation and therefore has no greater bearing on the greater world of Fallout 3, but it does net you a sizable reward in military tech. Just don't be greedy.

I think I scavenged everything within the armory:  Winterized T-51b, Chinese Stealth Armor, Sword, Gauss Rifle, and ammo.  I also got 3 outcast power armor suits and a laser chaingun after the outcasts turned on me.  Took me a few trips to drop everything off back at Megaton.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
i found fallout 3 somewhat insulting, especially when your father starts calling you sweetheart if you play as a girl. i found that very weird indeed.

the game is boring, the travelling from point a to point b, hardly any action involved with the exception to the odd fight with raiders and the mutated beast. i find this game ultimatly self-defeating,
Spoiler:
whats the point in creating a game where your character is deliberatly killed by radiation
. at least system shock 2 has some meaningful action and an ending to which i am still curious about, did the hacker survive with shodan aboard the escape pod?

the main weapon i used was the chinese machine gun and the occasional chaingun later on. the armour i used was the vault 101 security armour then telsa power armour and then the best power armour from the brotherhood of steel at the end.

Some people haven't played it, remember, don't ruin the plot-line please
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:16:26 pm by Flipside »
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The hacker wasn't aboard SHODAN on that escape pod. The guy was a side character you'd been hearing from in audiologs throughout the game.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
The hacker wasn't aboard SHODAN on that escape pod. The guy was a side character you'd been hearing from in audiologs throughout the game.

That whole thing made me angry.  Lack of character interaction is storyline suicide.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!

That whole thing made me angry.  Lack of character interaction is storyline suicide.

Dude, I thought that part was awesome, the way they did that.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I got FO3 a week back, but only today had time to fire it up abit. Reached Megaton, disarmed the nuke for free, broke in and stole the Strength Bobblehead. I love hunting rifles ... too bad their manual. I don't suppose there's a rapid fire one out there ... ? Because I kinda reckon anything can happen. Especially after a pistol dropped from the sky ...
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
There are several types of assault rifles in the game.