Inferno
9 (15%)
Stiletto
4 (6.7%)
Other
5 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: March 13, 2002, 11:20:06 am

Author Topic: Weapons that shouldn't have made it to combat  (Read 10501 times)

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Weapons that shouldn't have made it to combat
Who needs an anti-cruiser weapon? I've taken down cruisers with Subaches!

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I've taken down cruisers with Subaches!

In about 3 hours.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
In about 5 seconds. Most capships aren't all that tough, dude. The only ones with even reasonable armor to protect against fighters are the Sath and Colossus.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
I'm referring to the really tough ones like the Lilith.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Stryke 9
The Ares is half bomber.

Agreed. The Ares is a bomber that can't carry bombs. :rolleyes:

Just a comment for the Lamprey-bashers: Has anyone tried using it in multiplayer?? Aha, now you know why it's in there.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
I've never used the Lamprey much, so is the damage to shields, and afterburners permanent?
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I personally think the Ares is awesome; next to the Tauret, it is definitely my favorite fighter.

The Lamprey basically drains your afterburner/weapon/shield energy reserves, but they recharge over time as long as you have some energy allocated to them.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
For those of you slandering the Maxim cannon, i would like to point out that it has the highest range of ALL primary weapons, it kills cruisers extremely fast, 5 seconds of continuous fire 4 way linked for a Fenris, which would take closer to 20 or 30 seconds with a Subach.  Also, i have killed many players online with it simply because of the hull damage it does.

The morning star is very useful, especially in multiplayer.  Virtually all experienced players use them in TVTs.

The Inferno is useful in its own ways, they are very versatile for a missile and can be used as a simple dumbfire, fighter suppression, and even disarming/disabling.  While there are better weapons for each of these jobs, this is one that fullfills each of those fields and im sure many others.

The Lamprey on the other hand, is in my opinion rather useless as the Circe does the same thing only better.  The Cirice looks cooler too. :rolleyes:

(500 posts! woohoo)

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Boo Lamprey! I have nothing better to say... :p
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The Maxim is simply fantastic; one of the coolest weapons I have seen in any game. ;):D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2002, 12:31:06 am by 296 »

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
The Lamprey might actually be cool if it sapped about the triple the power. Then it could be cool in conjunction with something like the Prometheus S. Would be useful for taking down those annoying interceptors that burner away from you when you pursue them, especially since Shivan ships are outrageously fast. It would be even more useful when flying heavy assault (since your speed will be limited).
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, that's what I did in my campaign; the Lamprey does twice the damage (or energy draining) and the projectiles move a lot faster. I have put the normal Lamprey on some of the enemy fighters though; it can be extremely annoying to suddenly have your gun and shield energy drop to zero. It seems to be very effective when used by the enemy but player's usually cannot do much with it. (except in multiplayer)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Hmh. No prometheus R. IMHO, that piece of cows buttocks isn't worth a 1/4 of a dime. Well, Infyrno finishes close second. As and fighter supression weapon, Piranha does a clean sweep, and welll the Infyrno aint useful for anything else as well

:headz:  Man, I love this smiley
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline diamondgeezer

Most pathetic weapon of all time, any game, ever: Klobb

And you lot stop your Ares bashing, I knows where th'lives :mad2:

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Stunaep
Hmh. No prometheus R. IMHO, that piece of cows buttocks isn't worth a 1/4 of a dime.

Oh, the Prom R...

Yeah, that's pretty pants as well...
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, I would say the Prometheus R is even worse than the Lamprey. At least the Lamprey has some usefulness in multiplayer dogfights; the Prometheus R is complete crap against anything.

Infyrno is very good actually in my opinion; it takes some experience to use it correctly, but it pays off. With some practice, you can usually take down entire wings of enemy bombers with one missile. In multiplayer TvT/dogfight games, most people do not allow its usage because they think it is unbalanced.

BTW has anyone noticed that the Prometheus S is just the Prometheus R turned on its side? (in the weapon selection menu animations)

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
BTW has anyone noticed that the Prometheus S is just the Prometheus R turned on its side? (in the weapon selection menu animations)

Amazing how turning it on its side could make it so much better.
-John Maynard Keynes

Lamprey = big grey pants but i also hate the akethon, ok so sometimes you have to use it if your disabling a weak hulled ship but i spent 5 minutes trying to cripple a couple maras with it, i could have taken out half a dozen wings with a pair of kaysers.

Infyrno pirhana emp never use any of them, i usually damage myself with the infyrno and the emp? well i don't actually see what it does apert from look pretty.

Maxim, Kayser, Prom S + Harpoon, Tornado, Treb, Tempest and Rockeye. Never use anything else.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Ahketons are there for a reason my friend, they're designed to disable and disarm capital ships, especially the smaller ones.  They were not meant to be anti-fighter weapons like the Kayser.  In my opinion, every weapon was designed for a specific scenario, and therefore they all are very useful for certain missions.  I find the Lamprey to be not so hot because it does the same thing as the Circe, but the Circe does more, and therefore makes the Lamprey obsilete (sp).

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Bah! I use the Ahketon to knock out fighters shields, it does it pretty damn fast...