Author Topic: The Mission Objectives box  (Read 4815 times)

The Mission Objectives box
How do I get it to appear in my campaign missions?
Current Projects A New Dawn and Empires

Re: The Mission Objectives box
If you are referring to the area on the middle-left side of the screen, it's called the Directives Box.

You use it by entering "Directives Text" on certain events. The directive will appear as completed once the event is true.

Someone else can probably give a more thorough walkthrough.   :nervous:
Your ad here

well I was searching for the wrong thing then. I'll keep looking to see if I can find one. Thanks

No luck so a tutorial would be awesome.  :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Editors + Mission Objectives?

No. The box doesn't show up in game.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Mission objectives don't appear ingame.

Do you mean the 'directives' box to the left of the Main Flight Controller? Where you'd see things like 'Destroy Libra'?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You aren't using is-event-true-delay by any chance?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

No I'm not and yes this is about the Directives box. I just couldn't remember the name when I made the topic.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Post the directive event you do have then.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Nevermind I got it now. My events box wasn't recognizing the directive text for some reason. Thanks for the help.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
If you had quotation marks that's why, it tells FRED to ignore the text between the "    " AFAIK (that's a really watered down explanation).

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Well wait a second I have read this entire thread and I still don't know how to make the Directives box appear.

Take this sample objective I made in the Objectives editor.

is-destroyed-delay
   - Unknown Recon

there are 2 boxes, one to name the objective in the editor and another to name the objective in game I am guessing. in both of them I put the text "Destroy Unknown Recon" without quotes.

So Battuta said Objectives are not automaticly directives. What do I need to do to make them appear in the box? Do I need to use the enent-true-delay sexp to make it happen? I can't find any event in the change menu with the label "directive". What is a Directive event?  :hopping:
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!

Also, objectives and directives are completely different. Directives are purely aesthetic, they're there to give the player a good sense of what he's supposed to be doing. Objectives are displayed in the briefing and when you press F4 in-mission, they display on the HUD when completed or failed and are usually used in the campaign editor and debriefing to determine what text to display/whether you can progress in the campaign. (this last bit isn't mandatory, you can tie directive text/campaign progress tolely to events rather than objectives, but they are a good way to organize what happens)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:45:45 pm by Shivan Hunter »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The little blue dot should turn red when it's recognized as a Directive.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
yeah, I hadn't done anything that would redraw the events list. But that would happen.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well wait a second I have read this entire thread and I still don't know how to make the Directives box appear.

Take this sample objective I made in the Objectives editor.

is-destroyed-delay
   - Unknown Recon

there are 2 boxes, one to name the objective in the editor and another to name the objective in game I am guessing. in both of them I put the text "Destroy Unknown Recon" without quotes.

So Battuta said Objectives are not automaticly directives. What do I need to do to make them appear in the box? Do I need to use the enent-true-delay sexp to make it happen? I can't find any event in the change menu with the label "directive". What is a Directive event?  :hopping:

Directives have nothing to do with objectives.

Just highlight an event, and give it some directive text. That directive will become true once the event becomes true.

If you don't want the directive to show up until a certain point, chain it to an event that becomes true at the point in question.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Aah ok, I got it to appear. Good feeling. Directives appear at the start of the mission and turn blue when the specific directive event is triggerd. So General Battuta says you don't have to make all directives appear at the start of the mission and that you can make them appear in the middle of a mission when some new suprise comes. I still don't know what you mean by 'chain' the event. If I make a directive event that does not become true at the start of the mission the directive will appear anyways.

Is there a way to make an event non-existant until another event occours in runtime? I don't know how else you would 'chain' an event.

I also don't know how to make a directive appear as false, but i'm going to look into these later tonight.  Thanks for the help.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Take a look at the FRED tutorial. Although it was written for retail FRED2, it will answer most questions.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Aah ok, I got it to appear. Good feeling. Directives appear at the start of the mission and turn blue when the specific directive event is triggerd. So General Battuta says you don't have to make all directives appear at the start of the mission and that you can make them appear in the middle of a mission when some new suprise comes. I still don't know what you mean by 'chain' the event. If I make a directive event that does not become true at the start of the mission the directive will appear anyways.

Is there a way to make an event non-existant until another event occours in runtime? I don't know how else you would 'chain' an event.

I also don't know how to make a directive appear as false, but i'm going to look into these later tonight.  Thanks for the help.

To chain an event, position it directly under another event in the events list, and then click 'chained' with the event highlighted. (You see the little 'chained' box? How did you miss that?)

It will wait to evaluate its trigger conditions until the event it is chained to has become true.