Author Topic: Freespace 3: The Shivans  (Read 24240 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Freespace 3: The Shivans
As usual, there's enough room for interpretation in the cutscene to support most valid theories.

Good work on V's part.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The last shockwave (indeed, both, but the first one appears to expand vertically as well) seems planar, however. I am probably wrong, but it looks like it. Which means that things that were above or below the star might just be fused and melted as opposed to disintegrated.

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
The last shockwave (indeed, both, but the first one appears to expand vertically as well) seems planar, however. I am probably wrong, but it looks like it. Which means that things that were above or below the star might just be fused and melted as opposed to disintegrated.

umm, no. The first is the heatwave and the second is shockwave IMO.
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline dANGER boy

• New and improved, v2.0
    • Vortex Research & Design
FS3 would be about a new set of aliens, the Covenant that came and started wiping out all civilization.  The GTVA would have to create super-soldiers, give them callsigns like Spartan-117, and then pit them against the enemy.

And if it didn't have the Covenant, it would be a weird authoritarian, alien race called the Combine and FS3 would be the story of a MIT-trained physicist who tore them to pieces with some hot chick and a gun that makes things float.

....... :nod:
[21:39] * Now talking in #hard-light
[21:39] <Zacam> Dear. God.
[21:39] * dANGER_boy is now known as God
[21:39] <God> Yes, I'm here
[21:39] <Zacam> I'd like to file a bug report.
[21:40] * thesizzler is now known as Jesus
[21:40] <Jesus> sup
[21:40] <God> Check with my secretary.
[21:40] <Jesus> hey dad
[21:40] <Zacam> Regarding the INANE flaws in human intelligence and the equality (or disparity) therof.
[21:40] * God points at Jesus
[21:40] * mura is now known as WhitePidgeon
[21:40] <+WhitePidgeon> kuuuuu

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay, Alyx Vance is not 'some hot chick.'

Offline dANGER boy

• New and improved, v2.0

Now why do you have to derail this thread?  :)

Maybe not hot in looks but any chick that wields a gun and does stuff like that has got to have SOME sort of hotness to her.  Dang, I'm waiting on a lot of thirds right now...FS3, HL2:Ep 3....
[21:40] <Zacam> Regarding the INANE flaws in human intelligence and the equality (or disparity) therof.

Did someone say hot chick? Now the Sathanas, that is ONE HOT CHICK. Its so hot it blew up the sun!....shameless de-derailing of thread.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Now why do you have to derail this thread?  :)

Maybe not hot in looks but any chick that wields a gun and does stuff like that has got to have SOME sort of hotness to her.  Dang, I'm waiting on a lot of thirds right now...FS3, HL2:Ep 3....

She is pretty hot. But you can't just call her 'some hot chick.' She's Alyx Vance!

Offline dANGER boy

• New and improved, v2.0
Well let's not get started on HL2 because I won't stop.  It is definately competing still for first place for the dANGER boy's All-Time Favorite Game Award.  Better hope nobody starts a HL2 thread in some off-topic place....

But seriously, FS3 probably in my opinion wouldn't have Shivans in it.  Yeah, they are terrifying enemies but IF Volition ever did another FS, I would think they would get some new race even worse than the Shivans.  What if the Shivans are running from something like the GTVA was?  :eek2:  Maybe that's why they blew up Capella's sun...a possible way to escape...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:36:18 pm by dANGER boy »

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
}
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:47:46 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline dANGER boy

• New and improved, v2.0
All very possible, yes.  I've always liked the idea that the Shivans were not genocidal, maniac aliens.  Yes, they destroyed the Ancients and tried to destroy us.  But that can't be their sole motive.  My wishlist for an FS3 would be to really delve into the Shivans.  If they appeared in FS3, perhpas the GTVA could have rebuilt ETAK and use it to communicate with them.  Hmmm....very interesting all the ideas everybody has.

But it brings up the question: why did they try to destroy Earth in the first place if all they were doing was trying to find a way home?

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
+
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:47:31 pm by High Max »

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Shivan Theory: The shivans are all in differant "tribes" and each have differant motives, technology, power and numbers. One shivan tribe may wish to annihilate all other species and have low technology, another may wish to create supernovas for gas mining in hostile worlds.

Nebula: If that nebula is remnant of a supernova, which I think it is, it must have been made before the ancients were destroyed or stopped making portals as there is a knossos portal in the nebula. It would have been destroyed in a supernova.

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Maybe the Shivans' homeworld (if the had one) was destroyed by some race and now they are just taking revenge on anyone collapsing stars so they can harvest gas and destroy even more?

On the other hand iirc somewhere in fs1 i think is said that GTA during its expansion destroyed/conquered other "minor" races, we can speculate that Vasudans did that too, and Ancients were very proud because of it. So in the eyes of Shivans we are murderers. And the best way to ensure murderer won't kill again is to kill himself.
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Where does it say the GTA did this?

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
I'm too lazy to dig though I THINK it was somewhere there. If I'm mistaken, don't feel bad to insult me somehow.

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:48:07 pm by High Max »

Offline Mikes

Supernovas themselves are practically Creation in its purest form. Only in a Supernova is it possible for the heavier elements to form. In other words: Without a Supernova there would be no Earthlike planets, no DNA, no life.
(And technically this of course also means that the atoms that constitute our bodies were sometime long long ago all part of an exploding Star, which is kinda cool :p I.e. We're made of "Star Stuff" as Carl Sagan so famously said.)

So you actually could say the Shivans not only preserve the younger (non-spacefaring races) and destroy the older (subspace using) races, but they also took part in the potential Creation of new life itself.

If that was their actual intent however, is anyones guess LOL ;)

The mere timescale involved would be practically impossible to grasp for the human intellect. (I.e. today i'm exploding this star, so a couple of billion years after i'm dead there may be new life heh.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:54:22 pm by Mikes »

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
So...they're playing a god-like role in the universe?
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline Mikes

So...they're playing a god-like role in the universe?

They are the destroyers, they are the preservers and as seen above, they might with some stretch even be called creators.

That's fact, or rather, it is a consequence of their observed behavior - or in other words: It's what their behavior makes them from our (or the GTVA's/Vasudans/Ancients) point of view.
There is however no comprehensive explanation to be found within either games storyline to explain WHY the Shivans do what they do.

So their motives are still entirely up to speculation, if "motive" s even a concept that can be applied to Shivan thinking and that is, if "thinking" as we (humans) understand it, is even a concept that can be applied to the Shivans... (you get the idea ;) ).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:11:20 pm by Mikes »