Author Topic: Halo: Reach  (Read 55358 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Maybe something to do with just how much fissionable material it takes to damage a covenant ship, combined with PD interceptions and the sheer number of ships they need to be distributed to?  I don't think we ever get hard numbers on how many nukes/ships the UNSC has.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Maybe something to do with just how much fissionable material it takes to damage a covenant ship, combined with PD interceptions and the sheer number of ships they need to be distributed to?  I don't think we ever get hard numbers on how many nukes/ships the UNSC has.

Another giant gaping Reach plothole.

The Covenant fleet does not arrive at Reach until after Tip of the Spear. Before that time, the only ships present are corvettes and the cloaked carrier, which does not engage.

Somehow every nuclear armed asset at Reach goes down before Tip of the Spear.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Wait, is it confirmed that the UNSC uses absolutely no nukes after the Covenant fleet arrives?

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Doesn't invalidate the concept that some hippie issued a "no nukes" policy because they thought "We can win this!".
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Doesn't invalidate the concept that some hippie issued a "no nukes" policy because they thought "We can win this!".
* Hades headdesks
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Okay, yeah, seriously Lib, it's a fictional setting, created by people specifically to tell a war story.  There isn't a "but hippies got in the way!" reason for there to be no nukes.

Offline Roanoke

The cutscene before the attack on the Carrier, where we hear the Spartan chick Has A Plantm, states they have no nukes. Presumeably they either simply had none on planet or lost the capability to lauch them when all hell broke loose. TBH, I don't understand why the Covvies where dicking about with stealth bubble things. You have a huge fleet, "space superiority", a doomsday weapon that can be fired from orbit and no terratorial desires. Why not just roll-up enforce and waste the site from orbit.....?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Lib, you cool dude, the Spartans in the campaign explicitly said that they wanted to use nukes on the Covenant, but that all their nuclear capability had been taken out. (Which is bull****, but...)

I mean seriously, who the **** would give a 'no nukes' order when the endgame if you lose the planet is the Covenant nuking it from orbit?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:45:29 pm by General Battuta »

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I cite First Strike - Vice Admiral Whitcomb had a nova bomb...
Kelly tossed a nuke into the grav lift of a hovering Covie ship...

...and the previous Noble 6 has been shown in the commercials to
perform a similar feat.

They had nukes.... someone forgot to hire the storywriters and editors.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
BTW, why make a game about an event that was fleshed out in a 400 page book years ago?  The Fall of Reach fills in the backstory of Halo fairly decently, and it explains why the Covvies weren't keen to burn the planet.  They were looking for Forerunner relics and trying to learn about why Humanity was fighting so hard. 

Also, per TFOR, the regular human ground forces came up about even and the Spartans won every engagement against the Covenant.  It's just that we had NOTHING that could stand up against their cruisers in space since their plasma weapons virtually one-shot everything they aimed at.  The only noticeable space victories came when the cruisers were infiltrated by Spartan forces several members of which suicided to make sure the ship went down.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
BTW, why make a game about an event that was fleshed out in a 400 page book years ago?  The Fall of Reach fills in the backstory of Halo fairly decently, and it explains why the Covvies weren't keen to burn the planet.  They were looking for Forerunner relics and trying to learn about why Humanity was fighting so hard. 

Reach retcons the book out of continuity fairly nicely.  :(

Reach retcons the book out of continuity fairly nicely.  :(
I loved TFoR. :(
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
For anyone else who bought the black box edition, Halseys journal clears up one or two things, namely why Cortana was present to be handed to Noble6 when at the same time she was off planet with 117 and Keyes was performing the Keyes loop aboard the Iriqois.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
For anyone else who bought the black box edition, Halseys journal clears up one or two things, namely why Cortana was present to be handed to Noble6 when at the same time she was off planet with 117 and Keyes was performing the Keyes loop aboard the Iriqois.

It patches a few things up but not nearly enough to mesh with The Fall of Reach.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
That's my feeling on the matter too. I'm still glad I bought it though. :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Since I never played Reach, let me just ask this.  Is Noble Team Spartan-II's or Spartan-III's?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Since I never played Reach, let me just ask this.  Is Noble Team Spartan-II's or Spartan-III's?

Several Threes, one Two, and no One worth caring about, if you see what I did there. (Well except Jorge!)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Jorge is a S-II.  Kat, Carter, Jun, Emile, and the player are all S-IIIs.

Which is all the more amusing when you consider that the books establish Halsey knew nothing about the Spartan III's until Ghosts of Onyx.  Also that the SIIIs were intended to be used soley as disposable super soldiers (which to be honest was fairly odd to me..but whatever), sent into situations that not even Spartan IIs would be risked on.  Good enough to get the job done, not good enough to come back (except in a few cases).  So the idea that there was a team of IIIs and IIs working together...on Reach, just baffles me.

That's why I don't have much faith in Bungie's next venture...especially considering they invalidate their own cannon.

To give you an example...Halo storywriter Joseph Staten wrote one Halo book called Contact Harvest.  In it, it establishes that Harvest, the first human colony to be wiped out by the Covenant, somehow wasn't actually wiped out.  Not only that..but Sgt. Johnson was there...and he's actually a Spartan I (Project Orion) and...yeah.  Of course, the Halo CE manual, which I assume someone at Bungie wrote, stated that Harvest was completely wiped out...and that most of the ships sent to investigate were wiped out...so how were there any survivors?

Bungie did a fine job keeping the story solid through the first three games, but as enjoyable as Reach is, it's clear Bungie just wanted out and decided keeping any kind of continuity was pointless.  That's a terrible message to their fans, but oh well.
GTI Rebellion FREDer

Dissident Theory

Permissum sacramentum non exsisto infractus , per fides exsisto led.

Let me get this straight, there's a bunch of Spartan-III's on Reach, for no good reason, considering their purpose as soldiers who could complete suicide missions by dint of sheer numbers, and there's one single S-II in Noble Team, which makes no sense considering he should be with the rest of the S-II's that are supposed to be protecting the surface power installations so the SMAC's can keep firing.