Maybe.....
4 (11.1%)
I don't think so, lay off on the SpaceCrack
16 (44.4%)
You're a moron, don't talk again
13 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: March 27, 2002, 07:32:56 pm

Author Topic: another crazy idea by me!  (Read 6672 times)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
another crazy idea by me!
Originally posted by Setekh
Now that's what I call a balanced poll. ;)

:lol: :lol:
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Originally posted by hotsnoj
Something thats really scary is I'm working for this guy!

You don't have to tell me that :rolleyes:

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
heh, such support im getting from the 158th staff...the idea of the ship is that it cant bring itself back, your first mission is to destroy the Arcadia and Ganymede involved in its contruction (maybe use the polaris instead).  The who thing is about a war to preserve the past against the lunatics (kinda like me) who try to change it "for the good of mankind".  If the destroyer dies (at the end it should) then its over, if not, it'll go to a cutscene of some campaign that ends in mass destruction.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by Black Wolf
What's wrong with the current thing? Who cares if Derelict and Unholy Alliance (Just random names) don't match up? We can't generate a standardized  post FS2 timeline for much the sme reason as we can't make FS3 - hell, exactly the same reason, plus more - we couldn't get universal agreement. Plus, I play campaigns and missions for the fun of a new campaign/mission, not to find out what happened after Capella. If :v: tells us, then I'll believe it.

As for a temporal ship, I've always thought FS2 was good because it refused to delve into changing the past. Changing the past is too good for any faction because it can guarantee that they will win. That's it. Hence, no story, no conflict, no campaign.

:yes: :yes: :yes:
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
well keep in mind that the results wont be so clean or predictable, they will find that they cant calculate all the effects of an incursion like they did in Voyager, and thus they wont know what a incursion would do before its done, atleast not all of its effects.  The weapon will be very unpredictable in terms of what it produces

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
What if the enemy gets the weapon and kills Alpha 1 with it? :D :ha:
Goodbye Earth, Goodbye Collussus, Goodbye Capella, etc.

Whatever floats your boat Narol!
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Why use a  weapon that can destroy the user...:confused:
Bah who needeed the Colossus when all we needed was 30 Fenrises

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by LtNarol
well keep in mind that the results wont be so clean or predictable, they will find that they cant calculate all the effects of an incursion like they did in Voyager, and thus they wont know what a incursion would do before its done, atleast not all of its effects.  The weapon will be very unpredictable in terms of what it produces

Yeah, but if this ship is sealed from changes in time, they have infinite time do make these changes which, for the outside world at least, take zero time. ie, infinite tries, no time limit. Eventually they'll get it right.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee

Yeah, but if this ship is sealed from changes in time, they have infinite time do make these changes which, for the outside world at least, take zero time. ie, infinite tries, no time limit. Eventually they'll get it right.

Its just an idea at this point, i havent figured out all the details, much less the logistics, but i'll find a way to prevent what you're saying.  I would also appreciate it if i could get the opinions of the other project leaders, let me know what you guys think.

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Originally posted by Bishop Gantry
Why use a  weapon that can destroy the user...:confused:

Well, you can kill yourself by accidentally flying in front of a friendly BFGreen from the Collussus. You could get yourself killed by accidentally flying in front of the time weapon too.

This talk about time is making my head spin. I'm getting very :confused:
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Yes  but flying into an  BFGreen is a controlled action...

messing up the time continium with a chronoweapon isnt... you accidently wipe out your chrono weapon when its built you cease to exsist... if you still manages to survive whiping out yourself from history you cant fix it because if you fix it you could never have known you whiped out yourself to begin with but still you never exsisted because you whiped out your chronoweapon the only problem is if you whiped out yourself you couldnt have know you exsisted because the chrono weapon was already destryed before  it was built thus you couldnt have know of its exsitance...

and no trekkietechni babble can  gte you out of this dilemma...

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
Yes  but flying into an  BFGreen is a controlled action...

messing up the time continium with a chronoweapon isnt... you accidently wipe out your chrono weapon when its built you cease to exsist... if you still manages to survive whiping out yourself from history you cant fix it because if you fix it you could never have known you whiped out yourself to begin with but still you never exsisted because you whiped out your chronoweapon the only problem is if you whiped out yourself you couldnt have know you exsisted because the chrono weapon was already destryed before  it was built thus you couldnt have know of its exsitance...

and no trekkietechni babble can  gte you out of this dilemma...

you're making no sense, if the chronoweapon is erased from time, then all the changes it made would never have happened.

Well wada   ya  know you got the  point...:D

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
Well wada   ya  know you got the  point...:D

???you lost me there, i hadn't reallized you had a point.  More useful comments please.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
You've been watching Voyager reruns, haven't you.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Narol................ are you taking any medicines???? :D

Really, I don't see the need to tie all the campaigns because it wouldn't be that amazing... the campaigns are made to express its creators view point o what should happen next, they are made for your own fun to have a new and different story...

If you want to implement that time device in your campaign do it so, making your campaign unique by its own way (of course it requires a lot of complexity...)

Btw, look at it by this way: if the GTVA makes that weapon they can alter EVERYTHING, and so they could prevent catastrophes like capella and even Sol Subspace node... that would make no sense... the GTVA would ALWAYS win...

There you go!! :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

Hence the "Replay Mission" button in Freespace 2. :rolleyes:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by Raven2001
Btw, look at it by this way: if the GTVA makes that weapon they can alter EVERYTHING, and so they could prevent catastrophes like capella and even Sol Subspace node... that would make no sense... the GTVA would ALWAYS win...

There you go!! :)
Yes, but getting it to work is a shot in the dark. They have no idea what the effect will be.....
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

Hence the "Replay Mission" button in Freespace 2. :rolleyes:

Ah ha! It's already been done! And all in complete secret too. :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Styxx
:lol: :lol:

Well, not anymore...

So, what have we concluded, guys? That Command has had a temporal reversal device all along, to allow the replaying of failed missions? :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.