Author Topic: RELEASE: Dawn of Sol  (Read 55755 times)

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:12:05 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Gamepads don't deserve to be used on FreeSpace.
As I've said in the past, you can come up with a fairly reasonable configuration for a PS1/2/3 controller; I knew someone back in college who played that way.  You'll have to remove your hands from the controller for certain commands, but you can at least get all the motion/weapon controls and a few of the more common targeting functions on there.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:13:44 pm by High Max »

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
a gamepad for a First Person Shooter?
 :eek:
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

The only problem I've had is destroying the Windforce, is there anyway to skip the mission? I had time compression at max, got it down to 1 hull% and waited for the recovery carrier to kill it with tiny laser turrets, my laptop ran out of power before the Windforce blew up :/

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Just cheat. The mission is broken.

Type www.freespace2.com, select the Windforce at mission start, hit shift-tilde-I to make it non-invulnerable, then hit tilde-K until it dies.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:17:40 pm by High Max »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The weapon is broken somehow. I went over this in testing but the error wouldn't duplicate for Droid so fixing it was by guess and by god.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Alternatively, try this: http://www.mediafire.com/?kzwzazkzjy4
It's a beta version of the mission that I tested, which worked for me just perfectly.
I was playing it on medium, so it should work on this diffculty.

Mark down another that had trouble completing mission 3.  I wasn't able to disable the destroyer, even with a wing and a half of buddies left shooting at the engines with me.  Too much depends on your wingmen AI being smart enough to fly around and start shooting almost immediately after the engines kick in.

Still playing through the rest of the campaign, but I have to say the visuals for this campaign are top notch.  As someone else mentioned, the new aspect lock indicator is nice, and I thought it served as a reminder that Sol moved along a different line of tech development than the rest of humanity.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
In fact I disabled the destroyer in m03 literally as it was warping out - the warp vortex was just about to open when the engines went to 0%. Needs a bit of tweak, I think.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
In fact I disabled the destroyer in m03 literally as it was warping out - the warp vortex was just about to open when the engines went to 0%. Needs a bit of tweak, I think.
Yeah same here and it was mostly because all my wingmen had been firing on it for a while since I joined in late (was too busy shooting turrets :P )
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
 :headz:

Offline Nehemiah

• I prefer exploding spaceships to blood and gore.
Whenever this kind of "I can't kill this ship and the other ships involved are behaving stupidly", I just hack the tables and set all my weapons to "huge" and "supercap".  I kinda wish that conventional FS2 weaponry could destroy capital ships like they can in The Babylon Project, so that you can always kill something if you shoot at it enough.
The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace.  It failed...

No no!  I love the mod!  That's just what Commander Ivanova says at the beginning of B5 season 3.

Offline Nehemiah

Great campaign though, especially the fighter mounted beam cannons.  I wish there were more of those in other campaigns, as I derive great satisfaction from blowing up destroyers and other capital ships.

On a side note, why do almost all campaigns involving the FS2 era Sol system (with the exception of Inferno) go the route of "now that we've taken out the trash in our government, we have been able to form a utopian society?"

No no!  I love the mod!  That's just what Commander Ivanova says at the beginning of B5 season 3.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
They don't. I believe only two campaigns, including Dawn of Sol, have done so. And Blue Planet's 'utopia' was significantly more complicated, since it was neither utopian nor universal, merely a sort of fledgling stab at it.

Most campaigns take the Inferno route: Inferno, BWO, Machina Terra, Olympus Burning, so on.

I've also got to dispute that this campaign was 'great'. Very promising, perhaps, but I think it needs to be taken back for a long round of polish. It's not up to snuff.

Offline Nehemiah

What do you have against this campaign that is not polished enough to your liking?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I have nothing against it. Read back through the thread and check out my posts and you'll see how my initial enthusiasm waned.

You can start here.

I just think it's a shame that so much effort was put into it, but not quite enough. The biggest issue is a lack of playtesting and FRED polish; the last run of missions is so aggravating it's basically worth cheating through. A consummate lesson in Battle of Endor syndrome.

All that said I rather liked the opening missions of the campaign.

Offline -Norbert-

Whenever this kind of "I can't kill this ship and the other ships involved are behaving stupidly", I just hack the tables and set all my weapons to "huge" and "supercap".  I kinda wish that conventional FS2 weaponry could destroy capital ships like they can in The Babylon Project, so that you can always kill something if you shoot at it enough

Ah... that comment brings back memories of me sitting in a Valkyrie in FS1 after the Bastion warped out and nibbling a Demon destroyer to death with my tiny little lasers...

I wish there were more of those in other campaigns, as I derive great satisfaction from blowing up destroyers and other capital ships.
As Nehemian mentioned you can do just that in The Babylon Project and there you don't even need fighterbeams for it (nontheless there are fighters who have them).