Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670965 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.4 beta [Updated 2013/06/09]
If you look in the log above, all the instances of "BP,Complete" are supposed to be "BP Complete". The mod.ini is parsed correctly on 5.5g.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This does mean that my initial worries about the mod.ini refreshing are gone, since it seems to have updated properly.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I will try to take a look into this during the day.

To make sure I understand the problem (again, reading is slow), the argument to FSO's -mod flag (aka the mod line) is incorrect? There are commas in cases where there should be spaces? Any other issues?

Can you post a copy of the mod.ini you're using, or if you prefer, could you PM a copy to me and Iss Mneur? EDIT 2: Well, not sure if there's a point in PMing, since the processed contents are already in the log, so might as well just post it.

EDIT: Other questions offhand:

- Which mod did you have activated in the mod list?

- Did the incorrect -mod string that's in the FSO log also appear in the launcher's "current command line" box (advanced settings tab)?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:38:44 am by jg18 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This was the original -mod argument that caused this:
Code: [Select]
-mod blueplanetSVN,blueplanetSVN\advtest_bp2,blueplanetSVN\adv_bp2-r2,blueplanetSVN\test_bp2,blueplanetSVN\bp2-r2,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-advanced,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-core,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-visuals3,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-visuals2,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-visuals1,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-audio1,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-audio2,mediavps_3612;>>>>>>>,.r6252
My initial thought was that there was some merging conflicts still remaining in svn, this was apparently resolved normally. However, as Matt pointed out, the greater issue is that spaces in the commandline as written in the mod.ini were converted to commas, causing wrongness everywhere.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
The strange thing with the commas is that mangled string was read from the profile (called "Diaspora"), but we read it correctly from the mod.ini because we recorded the change to the correct string to that profile.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Keeping in mind that working on this is deeply frustrating no matter what, given that I can't read even large text from more than about 8 inches (20 cm) from the screen and am working on a laptop hunched over with full-screen magnification that limits me to seeing only part of the screen at a time...

How should the mod line read? The same except that "BP,Complete" should be "BP Complete"?

Reading the logs is extremely slow. I can only see a handful of lines at a time, and wxL logs are pretty verbose. Anything you can do to point out relevant lines would be appreciated.

Please answer my questions from before.

Does the issue still occur if you create a new profile?

Please provide me with the data/steps needed to reproduce this, including a complete copy of the mod.ini and preferably also a copy of your wxL profile folder (PM a link of a .zip or whatever if you prefer). I think that any relevant mod.ini files and your wxL profile data (%appdata%\wxLauncher IIRC) should be enough.

Guys, as much as I love speculating and asking random questions, it's likely to lead to my patience falling rapidly, especially with increasing eyestrain (should I even be doing this in the first place?). Working on a bug I can repro locally is much more likely to lead to it getting fixed. This holds true to some extent in all circumstances but now more than ever.

Thanks.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I will try to take a look into this during the day.

To make sure I understand the problem (again, reading is slow), the argument to FSO's -mod flag (aka the mod line) is incorrect? There are commas in cases where there should be spaces? Any other issues?

Correct, I believe that's the only current issue. We had another problem with a bit of junk getting appended to the mod.ini but it seems to have gone and I can't repro.

Can you post a copy of the mod.ini you're using, or if you prefer, could you PM a copy to me and Iss Mneur? EDIT 2: Well, not sure if there's a point in PMing, since the processed contents are already in the log, so might as well just post it.[/quote]

Here's the mod.ini:

[quote]# PLEASE NOTE ALL INI SETTINGS ARE *OPTIONAL*

# modname:       Display name only, so you can have spaces instead of underscores for multi word MOD's
# image255x112:  Location of a 255x112 bmp you wish to display in the launcher
# infotext:      Text that will appear in the launcher
# website:       Link to your website
# forum:         Link to your forum
[launcher]
modname      = Blue Planet SVN;
infotext     = Blue Planet SVN folder.;
website      = http://blueplanet.hard-light.net;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,169.0.html;
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondarylist = blueplanetSVN\advtest_bp2,blueplanetSVN\adv_bp2-r2,blueplanetSVN\test_bp2,blueplanetSVN\bp2-r2,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-advanced,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-core,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-visuals3,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-visuals2,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-visuals1,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-audio1,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-audio2,mediavps_3612;

EDIT: Other questions offhand:

- Which mod did you have activated in the mod list?

The targeted mod was -blueplanetsvn.

- Did the incorrect -mod string that's in the FSO log also appear in the launcher's "current command line" box (advanced settings tab)?

Yes, it does.

How should the mod line read? The same except that "BP,Complete" should be "BP Complete"?

Yes, exactly. This is what the line reads:

-mod blueplanetSVN,blueplanetSVN\advtest_bp2,blueplanetSVN\adv_bp2-r2,blueplanetSVN\test_bp2,blueplanetSVN\bp2-r2,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-advanced,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-core,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-visuals3,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-visuals2,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-visuals1,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-audio1,blueplanetSVN\BP,Complete\bpc-audio2,mediavps_3612

And it should read

-mod blueplanetSVN,blueplanetSVN\advtest_bp2,blueplanetSVN\adv_bp2-r2,blueplanetSVN\test_bp2,blueplanetSVN\bp2-r2,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-advanced,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-core,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-visuals3,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-visuals2,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-visuals1,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-audio1,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-audio2,mediavps_3612

So the error is only it interpreting 'BP Complete' as 'BP,Complete'.

The issue does recur with a new profile. I can try to get the wxL profile folder to you if you still think it's necessary.

You probably shouldn't be doing this though :(

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
A quick repro attempt on OS X didn't work. wxL correctly preserved the spaces as confirmed in an FSO debug log. :sigh:

Just to make sure there's nothing weird going on with your profiles, could you rename your wxL profile folder? Exit the launcher, then go to Start Menu >> Run... and type %appdata% then rename the wxlauncher folder to say wxlauncher_old .

Then start the launcher again and set up the default profile (select your FS2 root folder, activate the Blue Planet SVN mod, etc.) and see if the problem recurs.

Thanks.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I have gotten a build environment setup again.

@Kolgena: I think I may have fixed your issues with OpenAL and the invalid operations with this test build.

Make sure that wxLauncher is not running. Extract the build above over top of the existing install. Please let me know if it fixes your issue.

@Battua: Did jg18's suggestion of renaming your wxLauncher profile folder fix the issue? Now that I have a build environment I will be taking a look at your issue.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Kolgena

Thanks!

C:\Program Files\wxLauncher\bin\wxlauncher.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I dunno what that means, but your build breaks when simply copied over into the bin directory.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
okay.  Can you open your windows event viewer and check the Application (I think.  I may be under the system log) log under Windows Logs for an windows side by side error and paste the contents of the General tab here.

Offline Kolgena

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\wxLauncher\bin\wxlauncher.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

... i'm going to clean install the launcher, since I apparently forgot that I copied the patched build over a debug build. Edit: nope, that didn't fix it.

Google says:
It looks like you have a dependency on a debug library (Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT)

Debug libraries are not provided in any redistributable pack (because they are not redistributable).

This probably means you are trying to run a debug build on a machine that does not have Visual Studio installed. The solution to the problem is to  build and distribute a release build, not a debug build.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:39:49 pm by Kolgena »

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
@Kolgena: Okay.  Sorry it looks like I hadn't patched my compiler.  Please try this build: https://app.box.com/s/a6jaa9oeuan550wfnc33

You will need to have the debug install of wxLauncher installed first before you copy over the .exe.

@Battuta, The E: I have looked through the code and do not see how we could damage the modline like that.  At no point to we split on whitespace, so it is looking like it may have been bad data.  Either way, I cannot reproduce what you are seeing.  If I put a well formed mod.ini in place wxLauncher will clear out the damaged modline the next time you click activate on a mod. Do you have a copy of the malformed mod.ini that you were trying to use?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I can't get at it right now, but it's one of the stock mod.inis in the Blue Planet SVN, I believe, so any team member should be able to post it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
# PLEASE NOTE ALL INI SETTINGS ARE *OPTIONAL*

# modname:       Display name only, so you can have spaces instead of underscores for multi word MOD's
# image255x112:  Location of a 255x112 bmp you wish to display in the launcher
# infotext:      Text that will appear in the launcher
# website:       Link to your website
# forum:         Link to your forum
[launcher]
modname      = Blue Planet SVN;
infotext     = Blue Planet SVN folder.;
website      = http://blueplanet.hard-light.net;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,169.0.html;
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondarylist = blueplanetSVN\advtest_bp2,blueplanetSVN\adv_bp2-r2,blueplanetSVN\test_bp2,blueplanetSVN\bp2-r2,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-advanced,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-core,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-visuals3,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-visuals2,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-visuals1,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-audio1,blueplanetSVN\BP Complete\bpc-audio2,mediavps_3612;
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kolgena

I installed the debug launcher over the normal launcher, then copied over the new exec. Still getting a side-by-side.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Can you please post the same info from the event log as last time for this side-by-side error?

Offline Kolgena

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\wxLauncher\bin\wxlauncher.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Program Files (x86)\wxLauncher\bin\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT.MANIFEST. Component 2: C:\Program Files (x86)\wxLauncher\bin\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT.MANIFEST.

Compilation is erroring out for me:

/home/phantomhoover/Freespace/wxlauncher/code/controls/ModList.cpp: In constructor ‘ModInfoDialog::ModInfoDialog(ModItem*, wxWindow*)’:
/home/phantomhoover/Freespace/wxlauncher/code/controls/ModList.cpp:1355:24: error: operands to ?: have different types ‘wxCStrData’ and ‘const wxString’
    item->forum.c_str():_("http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=124.0"), _("Forum")).c_str(),
                        ^
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
PH, are there any additional errors? Does the compiler stop right after encountering the error?

Also, your distro including version number, and versions of GCC and wxWidgets you're using? Is your copy of wxWidgets from your distro's repo, or did you build it?