Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 671063 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.4 beta [Updated 2013/06/09]
Both the correct spelling of secondarylist and the incorrect spelling of secondrylist are parsed identically.
Indeed.  But that doesn't change that secondrylist is depreciated and that new mods and TC should not be using it.

Huh...so I built a debug version and ran it...and it uses the correct image now!  Went back and built the standard version again from scratch and it works fine there too now.  Don't know what happened to my last build, since it was from the same source, but it looks fine now.  Thanks for the help.
Interesting.  Not sure what would cause that other than the launcher not getting restarted between tests (all of that data is read on start up).
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline eisberg

I have the latest version of Linux Mint.  I compiled wxlauncher, and when I ran the compiled executable I got this message:

Fatal Error: SDL_InitSubSystem failed
Aborted

Have no idea what to do from here.  Would love some help.
I am a Linux noob.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Did wxLauncher generate a log?  Check the OP for where to find it if it did.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline eisberg

Yeah it created a log:

14132040457:INFO :wxLauncher Version 0.9.4
14132040457:INFO :Build "123456789abc+ unknown custom tip" committed on (Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 -0000)
14132040457:INFO :Sun 11 May 2014 10:04:57 PM MDT
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:13:43 pm by eisberg »

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Okay. Interesting.  Was that from a Debug build or a release build.  Check the OP if you need the instructions on how to create a debug build.

Otherwise I will try and make Linux Mint VM to test it in.  Exactly which version did you use?  If you know, is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

Offline eisberg

Okay. Interesting.  Was that from a Debug build or a release build.  Check the OP if you need the instructions on how to create a debug build.

Otherwise I will try and make Linux Mint VM to test it in.  Exactly which version did you use?  If you know, is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

It was release build

Linux Mint Petra 64 Bit version

Offline Kolgena

Sigh. I've figured out why wxLauncher had OpenAL problems... it hates being in the Program Files directory, because windows 8.

Edit: Nevermind. Still no sound here, and still can't figure out why.

Edit2: The launcher only likes working with Creative's openal, and not oal soft. I give up, I'll just use the old version.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:11:24 pm by Kolgena »

Offline eisberg

OK, I have it working now.

What I did different is that I started with this web page to get everything installed:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Guide_to_FS_Open_on_Linux

And I got the FSO compiled, and did a test run of the game without using any launcher and it worked.

Then I followed your instructions, like I did before, and got your launcher compiled and I was able to run it without any errors.

I am guessing that the instructions here
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Fs2_open_on_Linux/Installing_Subversion

and

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Fs2_open_on_Linux/Installing_the_Development_Libraries

had me download and install development libraries that may be needed to compile your launcher that your instructions do not show?  Perhaps libraries that are not a part of Linux Mint by default but may be for the Linux OS you did test for?

Anyways, thank you for your time.

Love your launcher.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I seek knowledge from wxLauncher guru's

There's been a few posts in support recently about the "default" FS2/FSO registry entries being missing (i.e. hkey_local_machine\software\volition\freespace2).  So the question is, how wxLauncher interact with the registry? Does it create the entire tree from volition up if it doesn't exist? Does it write the resolution (and/or any other entries) to that location when a resolution is selected in the Basic tab and then play is pressed?

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I seek knowledge from wxLauncher guru's

There's been a few posts in support recently about the "default" FS2/FSO registry entries being missing (i.e. hkey_local_machine\software\volition\freespace2).  So the question is, how wxLauncher interact with the registry?
wxLauncher uses the Win32 api registry functions, including RegCreateKeyExW and RegSetValueExW.

Does it create the entire tree from volition up if it doesn't exist?
According to msdn, RegCreateKeyExW creates all of the intermediate subkeys if they are missing.

Does it write the resolution (and/or any other entries) to that location when a resolution is selected in the Basic tab and then play is pressed?
wxLauncher only writes to the FSO locations (registry and cmdline_fso.cfg) when play (or FRED) is pressed.  The settings are persisted into the profile, after each change if auto-save is on (which it is by default), or when told to save with the save button or the save settings prompt on profile switch or launcher shutdown.

I am curious how they installed FSO without writing to the registry. I would also be interested in the wxLauncher log from those people because it should be working.

NP.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
wxLauncher only writes to the FSO locations (registry and cmdline_fso.cfg) when play (or FRED) is pressed.

Yeah, is there any way to get it to do that without pressing play? Cause when I'm coding I usually want to change my settings from the usual ones I have to play with. Which means launching FS2 and then immediately killing it (or just changing the cfg file directly, which is what I usually do).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Yeah, is there any way to get it to do that without pressing play? Cause when I'm coding I usually want to change my settings from the usual ones I have to play with. Which means launching FS2 and then immediately killing it (or just changing the cfg file directly, which is what I usually do).
Not currently.  Truthfully it wasn't really considered because wxLauncher is not designed for the coder use case, not that we won't do what we can to help with that, it certainly will not be a default option.  There are a couple of ways we could make that accessible so, create an issue in the issue tracker so that it gets addressed at some point.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think a simply "Use Settings" button might solve the issue. But if there are better ideas I'd be interested in hearing them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline m!m

The first post mentioned that the project files for Visual Studio > 2010 were generated incorrectly. I encountered the same issue and implemented a fix for that in my CMake branch. I have adapted the changes to wxlauncher which means that it doesn't need the registry_helper anymore and it can be build with newer visual studio versions (I tested 2013).
A patch with the necessary changes is attached.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline evilc

Hi,
I am the author of a Joystick remapping / combining app called UJR that uses Shaul's vJoy.

I have recently had a user reporting issues with vJoy and Diaspora whereby the virtual stick is unusable (game binding routine does not recognize input) under win8 when the launcher is started with physical sticks plugged in as well as the virtual stick being installed.
The only known workaround is to unplug all physical sticks, launch the game, then plug the physical sticks in.

Could anyone maybe help shed any light on why this may be happening, so we can maybe fix it?
Unfortunately I cannot replicate the issue myself - apart from all sticks showing as "microsoft pc-joystick driver" everything works fine under win7.

We have a discussion going on the vJoy forum here

Part of the problem of course is that all the sticks are named the same in wxLauncher, so we do not know which one *should* be vjoy. We think it is entry #1 as when that option is selected, none of the physical sticks work.
I take it that the pertinent code is here?
It seems to me that if we could maybe improve the code in wxLauncher to actually name sticks correctly, or try to output the state a stick axis/button is in, then we could tell if the virtual stick was working according to wxLauncher. Shaul posted in our thread on how to find a stick's name correctly, so maybe that would be a good place to start.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:34:44 pm by evilc »

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
@m!m: Thank you. Can you please attach that patch to an issue in the wxLauncher issue tracker so that the forum golem doesn't eat it if I don't get a chance to get to it soon enough.

Hi,
I am the author of a Joystick remapping / combining app called UJR that uses Shaul's vJoy.
Pleased to meet you.

I have recently had a user reporting issues with vJoy and Diaspora whereby the virtual stick is unusable (game binding routine does not recognize input) under win8 when the launcher is started with physical sticks plugged in as well as the virtual stick being installed.
The only known workaround is to unplug all physical sticks, launch the game, then plug the physical sticks in.
Windows 8.1 causes various issues for fs2_open in general.

Could anyone maybe help shed any light on why this may be happening, so we can maybe fix it?
Unfortunately I cannot replicate the issue myself - apart from all sticks showing as "microsoft pc-joystick driver" everything works fine under win7.

We have a discussion going on the vJoy forum here
In response to Shaul, yes the wxLauncher handling of joysticks is quite inflexible, though that is primarily because fs2_open is worse at handling it. wxLauncher follows more or less what the engine does.

Part of the problem of course is that all the sticks are named the same in wxLauncher, so we do not know which one *should* be vjoy. We think it is entry #1 as when that option is selected, none of the physical sticks work.
I take it that the pertinent code is here?
It seems to me that if we could maybe improve the code in wxLauncher to actually name sticks correctly, or try to output the state a stick axis/button is in, then we could tell if the virtual stick was working according to wxLauncher. Shaul posted in our thread on how to find a stick's name correctly, so maybe that would be a good place to start.

Cheers.
You have found the correct location for the wxLauncher code.  The code for fs2_open and how it detects joysticks is in joy.cpp as found here.

So, after falling down that rabbit hole, here is a debug installer for wxLauncher that names the joysticks as per the riseofflight forum post.

To diagnose the issue further, the user will need to post a wxLauncher.log using the debug build of wxLauncher I linked above (details for how to find the log are in the OP) and an improved fs2_open.log from the engine using the debug_filter.cfg attached to this post (details are on how to do this are found here in the support FAQ).

Thanks,

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline m!m

@m!m: Thank you. Can you please attach that patch to an issue in the wxLauncher issue tracker so that the forum golem doesn't eat it if I don't get a chance to get to it soon enough.
Sure, here is the issue: https://code.google.com/p/wxlauncher/issues/detail?id=109

Offline evilc

Thank you ever so much for compiling a test version so quickly.
I will inform the user to give it a try, and see where that takes us.

Cheers!

Offline evilc

Well, simply seeing the names of the sticks in the list was a great help - the first item in the list was not vJoy as we suspected, but a "ghost" of one of his physical sticks.

We are currently trying to work out why this may be, but at least it has given us something to go on.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Are you sure the builds aren't presenting the sticks in a different order now, maybe by changing the names it also changed the sorting order.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays