Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 671056 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.4 beta [Updated 2013/06/09]
@chief1983: wxLauncher always lists the sticks as they were identified by windows.  They are not sorted by name.

@evilc: I would post this on other forum but I am still getting "CAPTCHA is not properly configured (public key is missing). Please contact site administrator!" when ever I try to post something.  And now even from a different computer I still get the same message.

@foxfire: run Diaspora as I requested with the debug_filter.cfg and post the wxLauncher log and the fs2_open.log from both tests.  When debug_filter.cfg is installed correctly the fs2_open.log contains much more useful information about the joystick than what is presented in the default log.  Same goes for the wxLauncher.log it contains diagnostic information that will help us diagnose the issue.  You should be posting 4 logs total.

@shaul: you are correct the engine locates the sticks using the win32 multimedia api and assumes that the order as enumerated there does not change except when a brand new stick is connected that was never connected before.  My testing with 3 (physical) joysticks seems to be the case.  This code has not changed since the engine was written for Freespace 1 in 1997-98.  It will be at some point replaced with a better SDL based code but that has not happened yet.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline evilc

Are you sure the builds aren't presenting the sticks in a different order now, maybe by changing the names it also changed the sorting order.
Yes, sure. When he runs wxL with physical sticks connected, it lists the first two entries as "Saitkek X-55 Throttle".

Offline evilc

@evilc: I would post this on other forum but I am still getting "CAPTCHA is not properly configured (public key is missing). Please contact site administrator!" when ever I try to post something.  And now even from a different computer I still get the same message.
I know Shaul made some changes to the CAPTCHA setup the other day - I will let him know that there are issues.

Offline AngusT

Hello, I am having an issue with the launcher freezing as soon as I selet an FS2 executable. I put the details here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87720.0
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I found a minor bug in the Linux compilation process :) Not really worth posting a ticket for, so posting it here instead:

Error:
Compiling on Linux Mint 16 (Petra) fails on missing SDL:
Code: [Select]
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
  Could NOT find SDL (missing: SDL_LIBRARY SDL_INCLUDE_DIR)

Solution:
Fixed by installing libsdl1.2-dev

Suggested fix:
Suggest adding libsdl1.2-dev  to the dependencies in the Readme

I just did the Windows 8.1 upgrade on my gaming laptop. Now when I try and run Freespace 2 I get this error. I tried reinstalling launcher but no luck.

Any ideas?

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Suggest adding libsdl1.2-dev  to the dependencies in the Readme

It is in the wiki, FWIW.  The README could probably stand to be updated to reflect that as well.  Thought it did already though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I just did the Windows 8.1 upgrade on my gaming laptop. Now when I try and run Freespace 2 I get this error. I tried reinstalling launcher but no luck.

Any ideas?
Can you please post a log from a debug build of wxLauncher (instructions are in the first post, under troubleshooting)?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Hi there,

are there plans to add "voices" to the Linux launcher?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Hi there,

are there plans to add "voices" to the Linux launcher?
I am not sure what you are referring to?  By voices do you mean the Speech section of wxLauncher on windows?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Might be thinking of -voicer, the voice recognition flag that is only on Windows.  There is no *nix code for voice recognition yet, except a patch in Mantis for OS X that utilizes an Apple-only API, which still doesn't help Linux.  The Text to Speech flag is -speech which is also Windows-only.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Might be thinking of -voicer, the voice recognition flag that is only on Windows.  There is no *nix code for voice recognition yet, except a patch in Mantis for OS X that utilizes an Apple-only API, which still doesn't help Linux.  The Text to Speech flag is -speech which is also Windows-only.

You're right, that is what I meant. Thanks for your reply.

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
Hello world!

After many months on using launcher5.5 I wanted to give this one a try. It has a feature that can make my life very easier, I mean the profiles stuff. I thought I could set my own tweaks for each and every mods I use and just select them instead of remembering every values I put in custom flags or filing my desktop with batch scripts. Can wxlauncher do it for me? Sounds like good news. But Jeez What a hard fight I had to make it work with my joystick! At first it was detected but It could not work once in fs2. Also my sound card did not show up in launcher but I did have sound and music. This felt so insane.

I ended up with trying debug version of both launcher and game and guess what? it came to work! Like some kind of magic I'm afraid I'll never get to understand, which is too bad because I don't know how long it will run ok. And then I tried again with normal build of fs2 and it ran ok too, it still does as I'm writing these lines.

Everything's fine for now and I'm finally able to enjoy selecting a profile and I'm ready to blow some zods up!
So I wanted to thank you for your good work and also I have one last question:
Can I stay with debug version of wxlauncher because I don't want to screw it all up by reinstalling normal version?

Cheers!
:v-old: A+
Jack H
A+
Jack H. : "Well... There's much more to check than six..."

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Thanks
Can I stay with debug version of wxlauncher because I don't want to screw it all up by reinstalling normal version?
Yes you can. It will be more chatty than normal but that is all.

What are the recommended best eye candy settings under advanced when using MediaVPs_2014?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
What are the recommended best eye candy settings under advanced when using MediaVPs_2014?
We let you set the settings, but we can't answer what is best.  The release post for the MediaVPs has recommendations for settings.

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
Hello world,

Maybe you'd like to hear about this weird behaviour of wxlauncher I caught up lately, so I post it here. Please redirect me if necessary.
I wanted to use the  [recommendedlighting] section of mod.ini file so I put this at the end of the file:

[recommendedlighting]
name      = Jack's setup
flagset   = -ambient_factor 100 -spec_exp 0.7 -spec_tube 1.0

Then in wxlauncher interface I could see my new preset line replacing the other one (baseline recommended) and when i selected it new settings appeared in "current command line" box.

But when I ran the game after this settings I could see no change in lightings. I know it could be very subtle changes at times so I dig further in this and I found out that cmdline_fso.cfg did not reflect my changes. Instead it had:

-ambient_factor 75 -spec_exp 11 -spec_tube 0.4

which are the exact settings you get when not using that mod.ini section! (or if one checks baseline recommended preset line)
To get it to work I had to copy my settings to custom flags box after choosing it in preset list (which automatically checks "Preset off"). This obviously makes mod.ini section useless, but I did get the good options in cmdline_fso.cfg and I could see changes in game too.
Hope this does not look like too confused explanations, I wish I could fix it by myself, but I can't  :(

:v: A+
Jack H.
A+

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Hello world,

Maybe you'd like to hear about this weird behaviour of wxlauncher I caught up lately, so I post it here. Please redirect me if necessary.
I wanted to use the  [recommendedlighting] section of mod.ini file so I put this at the end of the file:

[recommendedlighting]
name      = Jack's setup
flagset   = -ambient_factor 100 -spec_exp 0.7 -spec_tube 1.0

Then in wxlauncher interface I could see my new preset line replacing the other one (baseline recommended) and when i selected it new settings appeared in "current command line" box.

But when I ran the game after this settings I could see no change in lightings. I know it could be very subtle changes at times so I dig further in this and I found out that cmdline_fso.cfg did not reflect my changes. Instead it had:

-ambient_factor 75 -spec_exp 11 -spec_tube 0.4

which are the exact settings you get when not using that mod.ini section! (or if one checks baseline recommended preset line)
To get it to work I had to copy my settings to custom flags box after choosing it in preset list (which automatically checks "Preset off"). This obviously makes mod.ini section useless, but I did get the good options in cmdline_fso.cfg and I could see changes in game too.
Hope this does not look like too confused explanations, I wish I could fix it by myself, but I can't  :(

Jack H.

Hello Jack

To clarify, after selecting the new lighting settings did you press the the "play" button  to start FSO or did you run the FSO binary directly?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also doesn't auto save need to be enabled?

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
Yes,

I clicked play after I modified the settings, indeed I always start the game this way, I mean from wxlauncher, but I only save when I'm satisfied with the settings. As a matter of fact I noticed that when play button is clicked then the cmdline_fso.cfg file is updated just before game launches. And from what I understand it contains options used also if you start the .exe directly. Is this correct?

So I wonder if it's really necessary to activate autosave, but I'll try it as soon as I get back home.
Jack H.
A+