Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 374817 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Re: Cutscene Upgrade [RELEASE: Intro (FS1)]
Carl says "farewell" in Shivan :D

Technically, Carl was saying "hasta la vista, baybee." Everyone knows that the Shivans' quantum pulse accent tends to throw certain translators for a loop.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Only Bosch knows..

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Only Bosch knows..

Ok, granted. Only Bosch knows for certain. The rest of us can only strongly suspect. :D

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Only Bosch knows..

Ok, granted. Only Bosch knows for certain. The rest of us can only strongly suspect. :D

Assuming that Bosch survived the um, "accidental marriage proposal" he made to Carl...

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Only Bosch knows..

Assuming that Bosch survived the um, "accidental marriage proposal" he made to Carl...

Is that what it was? Bosch wasn't kidding when he said his first contact with the Shivans was "rudimentary and crude...." :nervous: :eek2: :nervous:

The Order of the Stick

Only Bosch knows..

Is that what it was? Bosch wasn't kidding when he said his first contact with the Shivans was "rudimentary and crude...." :nervous: :eek2: :nervous:

Maybe what he received was "rudimentary" and maybe "very very, VERY crude" to him but it could've been just the usual Shivan courtship dance and replication ritual.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Started doing some post work while the latter half of the render completes...

Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This must have been everyone's reaction to seeing all those lens flares and thinking I was serious.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Yeah, I had a similar reaction when I first watched J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie in 2009 and saw all those goddamned indoor lens flares. :ick: :mad2: :mad: :banghead: :nono:

The Order of the Stick

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Beamz

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Androgeos Exeunt, you might lick the floor, but you can't lick beamz. It would violate all the laws of physics and man.

The Order of the Stick

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
HADOUKEN!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hall Fight is bad. I'm moving on to other projects.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Cutscene Upgrade Project
It's taken me a few days to come around, but I apologize to everyone for my tantrum (which occurred on Discord). The truth is that an individual who I used to highly respect and collaborate with on a regular basis dumped all over my work and my abilities as an artist. He suggested my latest work is actively worse than the original and that I'm so bad at what I do, I can't see how terrible it is. The unfortunate part is that his actual ideas on improving my work have merit, but he went about it in entirely the wrong way. Words matter. After explaining my position privately he still didn't seem to care how his words affected me. It's evident that I thought too highly of this person and that I don't need his approval when I have all of yours. I received more than a dozen private messages from people offering me their support. Thank you for that. This project has been a labor of love for a decade and the payoff is having my work enjoyed by others, so I'll focus on that. I'll return with completed Hall Fight soon.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
From the point of view of professional graphic designer I say: Modern recreation of work from 1998, using high-poly models, high resolution
textures, volumetric fog, detailed shadows, modern lighting engine, contributions and feedback of other experienced community members and other assets available looks better and will always look better then the original.

Whoever try to level my statement without professional qualifications comes from invalid position, because of obvious lack of education and merits.
Whoever try to question it, denies obvious need for your work to continue or even exist.

Privately speaking, the reworked cutscenes just looks damn, ****ing good :yes:
Welcome back among the living, soldier. One battle is over, thousands more to go.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Welcome back. :)  Looking forward to seeing this released.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
That gets a big <3 from me.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I'm sorry this happened and I'm glad to hear you're pushing forward regardless. You've been doing fantastic work on all these scenes and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Mjn, you've got serious artistic talent across several different disciplines.  I have greatly enjoyed everything you've shared with this community.  This isn't just a compliment for the sake of building your self esteem back up so that you "keep on trying."  Your products speak for themselves.  I've played bad mods and not enjoyed them.  Your work is fricking good.  It needs no defense, nor do you.  :)
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan