Author Topic: Space Sims are...hated?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Re: Space Sims are...hated?
I wonder why so many people appear to dislike the genre of Space Flight Simulators. Apparently FS is one of them, that's why few people get to play it, let alone encounter it. Maybe this is the cause for its apparent death?
Any opinions?
"early days": most of the people involved were geeks, inclined to be interested in scfi subjects
now: computer gaming is commonplace among non-geeks -> the relative importance of scifi has declined -> less attractive to developers

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
"early days": most of the people involved were geeks, inclined to be interested in scfi subjects
now: computer gaming is commonplace among non-geeks -> the relative importance of scifi has declined -> less attractive to developers

That's indeed one of the reasons.
Another one was the rise of the shooter as THE primary 3D game type, plus the emergance of MainStream, along with everything that comes with it. Very complex games are not MainStream enough  ;)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Space in general is an area that no one really gives a damn about anymore except for a select few die hards, and the fall of the space sim certainly reflects this.

That being said, I actually did try out a space sim that had realistic physics, it was a free b5 game called "i've found her". Certainly fun, but without a joystick and a lot of practice damn hard to fly well.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Space in general is an area that no one really gives a damn about anymore except for a select few die hards, and the fall of the space sim certainly reflects this.

Definitely untrue. Things set in space are pretty darn popular.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's the WW2 in space that's unpopular.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kosh

Such as?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Such as?

Star Trek just ripped open the box office last summer; Moon was a critical hit; Avatar is the highest-grossing movie in the world; District 9's aliens from space were a surprise critical and commercial hit; Alastair Reynolds just got a million-dollar contract (!); Iain Banks continues to grab critical adoration and make bestseller lists; BSG was not only critically successful, but it became the show-to-watch for showrunners...

It's not the post-Wars 80s, but times aren't too bad.

Offline Kosh

Point taken. Too bad there isn't more interest in doing stuff in space in real life, but that's for a different conversation.

Anyway if anyone is interested, here's the link to the main I've Found Her homepage.

Brain I/O error

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
When did the last good Space Game come out? I suppose the "I've Found Her" Babylon 5 project qualifies. Before that it's Freespace and Wing Commander Prophecy?

You guys should join me in playing Allegiance. It's an awesome space sim. It's fully PvP, and it's totally free since Microsoft didn't know a good thing after they had created it  :lol:

It's challenging and people are quite passionate about it (so feelings run hot sometimes). I must say the Squad League that just ended was one of the wildest rides of my ride.

Come check us out fellow space fans.
www.freeallegiance.org

As "limited" as FS2s' multi is, I .....seriously think I'll stick to that :<
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Those of you who show up to try out Allegiance, I'd love to hear from you.

Being skilled in FS2 or Wing Commander or such gives a great head start   :pimp:

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Indeed. I mean, the DualShock 3 for example has 16 buttons (including the D-Pad), 2 joysticks plus a motion tracker. You can probably get all controls you need for regular gameplay in there.

A context-menu comm system and a simplified "smart" targeting system would make FreeSpace perfectly playable on a console. Hell, Wing Commander is playable on primitive 16-bit console gamepads. You Know What would not have to sacrifice that much compared to FS2 to be a viable multi-platform game.

What I want, really, is a new military mission-based space sim. There are quite a few open-ended sandbox space sims out there, but no mission-based WC- or FS-style space sims. That, and no more Newtonian space sims. They're about as fun as filing tax returns.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:56:57 pm by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

What I want, really, is a new military mission-based space sim. There are quite a few open-ended sandbox space sims out there, but no mission-based WC- or FS-style space sims. That, and no more Newtonian space sims. They're about as fun as filing tax returns.

+1 for truth.

Although semi-newtonian stuff can be a lot of fun... it's one of the things that, IMO, the aforementioned Allegiance gets exactly right. Diaspora is going to get it pretty right too. :)

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Although semi-newtonian stuff can be a lot of fun... it's one of the things that, IMO, the aforementioned Allegiance gets exactly right. Diaspora is going to get it pretty right too. :)
I'm absolutely hooked on the semi newtonian thing.

Most important is the chance to use up-down-left-right-front-back thrusters freely. That makes for awesome dogfighting.