Author Topic: Effects upgrade  (Read 7117 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
new reactor glowing effects like this (screen from X2 the threat) ??

*snip*

god no. I've seen the same thing in screens for Infinity, and that... thing... does not look good at all on an engine.

What we have currently doesn't work that well either; just hop in a Kentauroi or something, switch the camera to follow you, and do some sharp turns. The way the engine 'exhaust' effect turns around is just not natural. (We have a fix for this already, IIRC: engine particle effects. Of course, the particle system would need to be optimized for it to work smoothly with a lot of fighters on screen, but the particle system needs optimization anyway...)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The particle system is already way more efficient than it was on .10.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Well, I'll take a look at some particle effects, play with some TBLs and see what I can get. :)

Offline petar91

You mean like this Shivan Huner ? screen from Infinity :

Another idea for new effect, i think speed effect with space debris is not sufficient, i saw a video from Colony wars with a good speed effect for the age of this game. Could we have something that increase speed effect ?

Colony wars video :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9lzye_colony-wars-test-du-moggy-aspi-show_videogames

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Well, I'll take a look at some particle effects, play with some TBLs and see what I can get. :)
Thruster particle effect discussion taking place here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70899.new#new

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
If we would want realistic gas cloud, it should be rendered only to a background image as the density is just too low to be seen in small distances.
That would also look very boring and wouldn't fit the game as we already had nice and chunky nebula with storms and all.

High/low density variation would be very nice addition as one cound fly trough formations during dogfights or reveal enemy capship coming trough a denser area.
Something like artist controlled density field would be sweet especially with proper lighting. (multi scattering from sun and single scattering for local lights and glowmaps.)
I could foresee something added into FRED similar to the asteroid field system, however it would control nebular density within certain regions, and it would operate on sphere system rather than the box system.  Secondly, each region would have two circles and a minimum density setting.  The outer circle defines the point where (from the perspective of someone flying into a gap), the nebula would begin to thin, while the inner circle would define the distance at which the gap reaches minimum density.  The figure would say how thin the inner region gets.  If you want the player to pass through a dense wall into an open region, you just have to make the transition from full density to minimum density, quite abrupt by giving both inner and outer circles nearly the same size.  You could even have irregular-shaped gaps by interlocking multiple gap-spheres together.  What this doesn't cover well is full nebular exit, where you are suddenly out among stars and can see the nebular wall behind you, or simulations of a gas giant's atmosphere where you would want a lateral band free of gas.  There would also problems of shaping the interior walls of a nebular gap, giving it visual texture that will stay in place as the player approaches it... perhaps something like a miniature skybox.

Thoughts?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If we would want realistic gas cloud, it should be rendered only to a background image as the density is just too low to be seen in small distances.
That would also look very boring and wouldn't fit the game as we already had nice and chunky nebula with storms and all.

High/low density variation would be very nice addition as one cound fly trough formations during dogfights or reveal enemy capship coming trough a denser area.
Something like artist controlled density field would be sweet especially with proper lighting. (multi scattering from sun and single scattering for local lights and glowmaps.)
I could foresee something added into FRED similar to the asteroid field system, however it would control nebular density within certain regions, and it would operate on sphere system rather than the box system.  Secondly, each region would have two circles and a minimum density setting.  The outer circle defines the point where (from the perspective of someone flying into a gap), the nebula would begin to thin, while the inner circle would define the distance at which the gap reaches minimum density.  The figure would say how thin the inner region gets.  If you want the player to pass through a dense wall into an open region, you just have to make the transition from full density to minimum density, quite abrupt by giving both inner and outer circles nearly the same size.  You could even have irregular-shaped gaps by interlocking multiple gap-spheres together.  What this doesn't cover well is full nebular exit, where you are suddenly out among stars and can see the nebular wall behind you, or simulations of a gas giant's atmosphere where you would want a lateral band free of gas.  There would also problems of shaping the interior walls of a nebular gap, giving it visual texture that will stay in place as the player approaches it... perhaps something like a miniature skybox.

Thoughts?

This would be quite neat.. though I still think the style in the example shown above just doesn't look very *nebular*... However this is where the thread should split... part going onto the SCP board...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.