Author Topic: Greatest persons in history.  (Read 7801 times)

Solace

Greatest persons in history.
If you could take the greatest people from history (and the present) and put them all in a room together (with a common language), who would you pick as the greatest people from history? You can pick anyone from any time period, you can even pick people who aren't Americans if you wish. They could be philosophers, politicians, military leaders, celebrities, human rights leaders, or anyone. In that room together they would discuss and debate their beliefs, theologies, and other things. They could also tell you about their lives if you wanted them to. Here are the people who I'd pick:

Abraham Lincoln (American; 1809 – 1865)
Abraham Lincoln was the President of the United States during the American Civil War.

George Washington (American; 1732 – 1799)
George Washington was the first President of the United States and the Commander-in-Chief of the United States military during the American Revolutionary War.

Hayley Williams (American; 1988 – present)
Hayley Williams is the lead singer of Paramore and winner of several "most beautiful female" awards.

Socrates (Greek; 469 BC – 399 BC)
Socrates was a Classical Greek philosopher.

Benjamin Franklin (American; 1706 – 1790)
Benjamin Franklin was an American inventor and politician.

Martin Luther King, Jr. (American; 1929 – 1968)
Martin Luther King, Jr. was a non-violent human rights activist who fought for the equal rights of African Americans.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt (American; 1882 – 1945)
Franklin Roosevelt was the President of the United States during the Great Depression and most of World War II.

Mahatma Gandhi (Indian; 1869 – 1948)
Gandhi was a political and spiritual leader of India. He was a pacifist and believed that India should become independent through non-violent actions.

Julius Caesar (Roman; 100 BC – 44 BC)
Julius Caesar was a consul of the Roman Republic who was assassinated by his friends out of fear that he would become a dictator.

Karl Marx (German; 1818 – 1883)
Karl Marx (and Friedrich Engels) was the author of The Communist Manifesto and is often regarded as the father of communism.

Albert Einstein (German; 1879 – 1955)
Einstein was a German philosopher, he responsible for the Atomic Theory.

Nikola Tesla (Austrian; 1856 – 1943)
Nikola Tesla was an Austrian inventor, he was responsible for the creation of commercial electricity.

Stephenie Meyer (American; 1973 – present)
Stephanie Meyer is the author of The Twilight Saga books. She's possible the most influential person alive, so much so that not only does she have an army of teenage girls worshiping her, but her work has also led to the creation of a subculture and to real life teenagers physically biting eat each others' necks.

Nelson Mandela (South African; 1918 – present)
Nelson Mandela was the first black South African president and a member of the South African resistance. He fought against the racist pro-white Apartheid regime in South Africa. He was eventually arrested by the Apartheid regime and sentenced to (manual labor) prison for 27 years and exiled. He was later released when the apartheid regime was abolished and free elections were allowed in South Africa. He was then elected President of South Africa, and despite being beaten, tortured, imprisoned, and terrorized by the white South Africans, he instead pardoned them, let them keep their political offices, and put an end to racial segregation. I recommend this movie about him: Invictus

Winston Churchill (British; 1874 – 1965)
Winston Churchill was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom during World War II. Unfortunately, like most politicians, he made some mistakes. And by mistakes I mean he was accused of mistreating Indian and Bengali (people from Bangladesh) subjects of the British Empire.

Charles de Gaulle (French; 1890 – 1970)
Charles de Gaulle was the leader of Free France (an anti-Nazi resistance movement) during World War II. He later became the President of France and the (Co-)Prince of Andorra.

Bill Gates (American; 1955 – present)
Bill Gates is the founder of the Microsoft Corporation, inventor of Windows, and one of the world's wealthiest men. He is a prime example of how capitalism works.

Vladimir Lenin
Lenin was the leader of the Bolsheviks (communists) during the Russian Civil War. He was also the first Chairman of the Soviet Union.

Jesus Christ (Roman; 5 BC – 30 AD)
Jesus is, well, Jesus.

Gautama Buddha (Indian; 563 BC – 483 BC)
The Buddha was the creator of Buddhism.

Wovoka (American Indian; 1856 – 1932)
Wovoka, also known as Jack Wilson, was an American Indian (Northern Paiute to be exact) who lived on an American Indian reservation. Eventually he created his own denomination of Christianity (called Ghost Dance), in which Jesus was an American Indian. He prophesied that Jesus would return and make all of the white people go away (and bring back the buffalo). He also prophesied that if you wear a shirt advertising his religion that you would become immortal and not even bullets could kill you. Eventually several hundred of his followers (primarily women and children) were massacred (Wounded Knee Massacre) by the United States Army.

Swede Momsen (American; 1896 – 1967)
Swede Momsen was an Admiral in the United States Navy and an inventor. He is responsible for the first and most important deep sea submarine rescue in history. I highly recommend this book about him an the rescue: The Terrible Hours

Napolean Bonaparte (Corsican; 1769 – 1821)
Napolean was a French monarch and military leader during the Napoleonic Wars. He conquered most of Europe, including the Holy Roman Empire.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: Greatest persons in history.
You again?  :doubt:

I'm not sure what you get out of this drive-by forum posting business, but I'm getting annoyed at it.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I'm going to be a bit harsh here.

Offline Nuclear1

Yeah, this is getting a little annoying.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Srsly, not cool.

Besides, I'm not voting, because Teddy Roosevelt isn't on that list.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm going to be a bit harsh here.

Solace reported this post. :lol:

He's definitely not a bot, but why all these random threads?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To be precise, why all these random threads crossposted in various fora?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline watsisname

This is not as bad as hemorrhoid frogbutt, but it is much less amusing.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
This is all about a new promotion from coca cola, create 500e2000 spam threads and win a brand new car.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
When I was in high school, the teacher taught a sequence of lessons based on a most important people list he had found.  Each person had a little article on it, explaining why they were so important to world history.

Jesus was number 2.

Mohammad was number 1.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
'blah blah, greatest person, blah.'

Hayley Williams is the lead singer of Paramore and winner of several "most beautiful female" awards.

Stephanie Meyer is the author of The Twilight Saga books. She's possible the most influential person alive, so much so that not only does she have an army of teenage girls worshiping her, but her work has also led to the creation of a subculture and to real life teenagers physically biting eat each others' necks.

....  :wtf: is the matter with you?

::EDIT::

Ignoring the blatantly false information in the second choice (and the fact that this is a spam-topic), why in the Hell would either of them qualify for so-called 'greatness'?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
'blah blah, greatest person, blah.'

....  :wtf: is the matter with you?

::EDIT::

Ignoring the blatantly false information in the second choice (and the fact that this is a spam-topic), why in the Hell would either of them qualify for so-called 'greatness'?

I concur people have become somewhat distracted by the spam issue and are missing the truly important topic of what kind of mental malfunction is required to list Stephanie Meyer and the chick from Paramore in the "Greatest People of All Time."  A hundred years from now who's literature is still going to be read and analyzed across the globe?  People like Shakespeare, Dickens, Nathanial Hawthorne, John Updike,  Asimov, Tolstoy, Mark Twain, literally legions of authors who have written prose that has shaped human culture.  Not some veiled teenybopper series about remaining abstinence before marriage, I mean hell J. K. Rowling has it all over Meyer.  What music will still be cherished as some of humanity's greatest achievements?  Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninov, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, John Williams, Led Zepplin, Bach, Elvis Presley, again literally more composers and artists I can count.   Not Misery Business and not Crush Crush. 

It's like listing the spork in the top 5 most important technological developments in human history.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Nuclear1

Yeah, why the **** is the Twilight chick on there? 

That utterly invalidates this whole list.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Obviously the answer is thesizzler. Everyone else is clearly inferior.

EDIT: why the **** does Gautama Buddha have less than a half of a line but the author of Twilight have nearly three?

Offline Nuclear1

Your mom is inferior.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Your mom is inferior.

Your mom is inferior.

EDIT: (incidentally, both of these are true given that I'm the greatest)

Offline Nuclear1

Your face is inferior!

Oh snap

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Abraham Lincoln
Granted, among other things the US would never have risen to dominance in the 20th century without this man. Slavery might not have ended.

George Washington
This one too. We might have been Canada without him.

Hayley Williams
What . . . the hell?

. . .

Stephenie Meyer
:snipe:

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Granted, among other things the US would never have risen to dominance in the 20th century without this man. Slavery might not have ended.

Colonization of Africa allowed the Europeans to effectively crush the slave trade for the first time in history. By the late 19th century, slavery was quite doomed either way.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key