Author Topic: fighter beams  (Read 35337 times)

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

A little teenie, tiny question that I have (and a point that's probably too little-needed and difficult to implement to be worth it, but I have to ask anyway)....is there any way to affect dynamically the focus of the beams?

For example, in X-Wing Alliance (the previous three didn't do this), certain ships (dependant upon the technology level of the ship) had the ability to set in-flight focusing points for the lasers.

While flying an X-Wing, I can set the lasers to converge at 150, 100, 50, "automatic" meters from my ship.  (It's also possible to set "no convergence")  At "automatic" the lasers simply converge at the same distance as my current target.

Anyway, I'm wondering if that's possible or not, seeing as Freespace has a system of firing along the normals of the weapons...one could calibrate a POF to converge its weapons at a specific distance, but that convergence cannot be changed within the game, right?

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Originally posted by Bobboau

and this is the executable, I was playing

FS3? :D
One is never alone with a rubberduck - Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

The Apocalypse Project

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
stoopid question number 5464346:
would  it be possible to give charge up glows ( of, dunno, 1/8 second) to regular lasers thnks to the source?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
posable... ya
do I know how to do it...

I'm more concerned with getting the AI to use this at the moment
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
posable... ya
do I know how to do it...

I'm more concerned with getting the AI to use this at the moment

this is a good concern :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by _argv[-1]

shaking a type 0 beam is pretty impossible -- once it's got you, you're going to take all of its damage unless you move out of range or duck behind something to avoid it.

Which is why the beam should follow you for 3 seconds, and then, say do 5 damage per second. It wouldn't kill you, but if you were critical, or a slow bomber, and 3 of these turrets find you... Buh-bye.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Originally posted by Pera

FS3? :D

I assume its called this so it can coexist in the same directory with the original executable.
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
i, erm,... uhg... yes  :nervous: :nod:
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
Hmmm...  Is there a way for the fs3 to actually run?  We might need that test mission.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the test mission is simply a player ship (Alpha 1), and three "bad" ships
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Info on making beams not pierce shields.
I did a little digging around in the code, looking for a way to cause beams to not pierce shields. I've found something interesting.

In code/Model/ModelCollide.cpp line 291 is some code for checking if a pulse weapon hit a shield, and doing things appropriately. Much of this stuff can be used with beams as well, with some modifications.

In code/Weapon/Beam.cpp line 2315 is some code for checking if a beam weapon hit an object. Notice that test_collide.flags has MC_CHECK_MODEL. To make it check shields, change MC_CHECK_MODEL to MC_CHECK_SHIELD. You need to MC_CHECK_MODEL afterwards, if the target has no shields or if its shields in that quadrant are down. You also need to do shield damage and make shield effects, which go in some functions below there, probably near line 2787.

Anyone who is interested in doing this stuff will hopefully find this information useful. Good luck, guys.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
Could be useful for any Star trek mods. Particle Weapons vs Shields. But not for FS2-modextended campaigns because if even the shivans could not build a shield to protect against beam fire, then the Terrans  & vasudans certainly can' t, And i think we have to keep some kind of consistency with the FS universe.

But ofcourse for MODS not having anything to do with the FS universe this is useful.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think it would be usefull for making a flag that sets a beam as non shield piercing, such as the anti fighter beams
and I have seen that code, I didn't do anything becase it looked like it would be a bit of a restructuring of the beam coliding code, and it would have to pas quadrants and such
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Originally posted by DTP
Could be useful for any Star trek mods. Particle Weapons vs Shields. But not for FS2-modextended campaigns because if even the shivans could not build a shield to protect against beam fire, then the Terrans  & vasudans certainly can' t, And i think we have to keep some kind of consistency with the FS universe.

But ofcourse for MODS not having anything to do with the FS universe this is useful.

Actually, I was hoping to change the FS universe, such that all shields (Shivan, Terran, and Vasudan) protect against beams. It's more realistic that way, I think.

I think it would be usefull for making a flag that sets a beam as non shield piercing, such as the anti fighter beams
and I have seen that code, I didn't do anything becase it looked like it would be a bit of a restructuring of the beam coliding code, and it would have to pas quadrants and such

Near the location I gave in ModelCollide.cpp, there is a call to a function which figures out which quadrant was hit. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

Actually, I was hoping to change the FS universe, such that all shields (Shivan, Terran, and Vasudan) protect against beams. It's more realistic that way, I think.

Except that GTVA designed beams to penetrate Lucifer's shields.
Yes, they managed to destroy the Lucy, but cost was high.

They designed the Colossus class and anti-cap beams to be Lucy-killers.

But that doesn't matter much since cap ships does not have shields anyway...

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti

How would that be more realistic?  I thought shields would only protect against matter-based weapons(or whatever, just not purely energy based).

Originally posted by YodaSean

How would that be more realistic?  I thought shields would only protect against matter-based weapons(or whatever, just not purely energy based).

Last time I checked, lasers (ML-16, Prometheus, Disruptor, Disruptor Advanced, Akheton SDG, Flail, Morning Star, etc), xasers (Subach/Mekhu HL-7), and fluctuating EM emissions (Banshee, Shield Breaker, Circe) were purely energy based.

The best example here is the ML-16. Despite it being purely energy based (it's a laser), shields are effectively impervious to it (since they regenerate faster than the ML-16 can damage them).

Also, the Lucifer's shields are impervious to everything, including the pure-energy weapons listed above. The way it was done in FS1 (ship-invulnerable), not even beams could puncture it.