Author Topic: fighter beams  (Read 36082 times)

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Originally posted by _argv[-1]

Also, the Lucifer's shields are impervious to everything, including the pure-energy weapons listed above. The way it was done in FS1 (ship-invulnerable), not even beams could puncture it.

Actually, they did that only because putting shields on something that big, and then hammering it with blobs all the time would slow any computer to a crawl :)
One is never alone with a rubberduck - Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

The Apocalypse Project

Don't forget, we've got much better computers than we did at the time of FS1. It would probably be a lot more feasible this time.

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Originally posted by Boct1584
Don't forget, we've got much better computers than we did at the time of FS1. It would probably be a lot more feasible this time.

I just said that's why Volition didn't put shields in Lucy in FS1.
One is never alone with a rubberduck - Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

The Apocalypse Project

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
the Lucifer's shields are impervious to everything, including the pure-energy weapons listed above. The way it was done in FS1 (ship-invulnerable), not even beams could puncture it.

except for the banshee. the tech room said they can puncture any known shielding system. they made it so you never got to use them on the Lucy while not in subspace, so you couldn't prove them wrong.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Originally posted by Carl

except for the banshee. the tech room said they can puncture any known shielding system. they made it so you never got to use them on the Lucy while not in subspace, so you couldn't prove them wrong.

But the GTA and PVN were very desperate to find a way to blow the reactors on the Lucy, so presumably someone would have tried that, even if the player couldn't...

Originally posted by Pera

Actually, they did that only because putting shields on something that big, and then hammering it with blobs all the time would slow any computer to a crawl :)

Why? The shield mesh for a ship that big would have not many more polys than the ship model. Any computer that can't render two or three Lucifers at the same time should be running Doom or something, not FreeSpace. :rolleyes:

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
Actually, on the shielded Lucy(my version), even when being attacked by 30 fighters & 3 capships and 1 juggernaut,  no more than 10-25 polies light up at the same time.on all settings HIGH i fell no slowdowns on a 800 mhz GF2 mmx 32 mb ram, 128 SDRAM.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by DTP
i fell no slowdowns on a 800 mhz GF2 mmx 32 mb ram, 128 SDRAM.

that probably because you have a 800 mhz GF2 mmx 32 mb ram, 128 SDRAM :rolleyes:
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
A test where i included to original Lucy with invulnarble tag
and same mission with the shielded version there where no time difference, hence no slowdown of the machine for the lucy to travel from 1 point to another , and i clocked this using a watch.

If there had been any slowdowns then the mission would have lasted longer in real time.

I really need to get a FPS into the screen. & maybe some FPS option like -drawfps.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no it wouldn't, fs uses a time ticker, not much is just cycled every frame, most things use the proper x + timestamp() = y
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Originally posted by Bobboau
no it wouldn't, fs uses a time ticker, not much is just cycled every frame, most things use the proper x + timestamp() = y

And it's a good thing too - if someone were running, say, a 5 GHz with a GeForce6 (512 MB RAM - the low end model), and it were designed so that framerate dictated gametime, you'd either...

a)be like most of humanity and not be able to play the game 'cause it's so freakin' fast.

b)be able to beat the game in 8 minutes flat.

Not many people would fall in category B.

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by TurboNed

And it's a good thing too - if someone were running, say, a 5 GHz with a GeForce6 (512 MB RAM - the low end model), and it were designed so that framerate dictated gametime, you'd either...

a)be like most of humanity and not be able to play the game 'cause it's so freakin' fast.

b)be able to beat the game in 8 minutes flat.

Not many people would fall in category B.

--TurboNed
mmh... some old games are actually very fun and still playable easily with the new comps. try the first Screamer some day :D.
You thought Wipe Out was fast? bwarf :D
SCREW CANON!

Actually, I was hoping to change the FS universe, such that all shields (Shivan, Terran, and Vasudan) protect against beams. It's more realistic that way, I think.

So how do they kill each other then? Flack them to death?

And i know what u mean about Wipeout, Venom.  Its the "wow, im going, like, 180mph man!".  Then Wipeout 2097 came along, and "wow, im going 300mph!". :jaw:
Then came Pod racer, and you felt slow at the 600mph the game claimed to recreate relistically.
I actually got up to over 1400mph in pod racer, it was in one of the vacum tubes on the mining colony, and i had my super-modded Neeva Kee pod.  Thing is since the landscapes in podrace were huge, it never felt that fast.

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Actually, I was hoping to change the FS universe, such that all shields (Shivan, Terran, and Vasudan) protect against beams. It's more realistic that way, I think.

Maybe.  I think of it as the beams just being such a quick outpouring of energy that they just puncture the shield.  By the time the shield can form back over that spot to protect your ship, the beam has finished doing its damage.
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

Originally posted by NotDefault

Maybe.  I think of it as the beams just being such a quick outpouring of energy that they just puncture the shield.  By the time the shield can form back over that spot to protect your ship, the beam has finished doing its damage.

The rate of damage (and, hence, energy output) of AAA beams is much lower than conventional pulse weapons. Said pulse weapons are closer to being the quick outpouring you speak of.

The rate of damage (and, hence, energy output) of AAA beams is much lower than conventional pulse weapons. Said pulse weapons are closer to being the quick outpouring you speak of.

Heh, that's a good point. :o
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
not really. it's just a matter of balance issues. if they were to make it realistic, all the shivans weapons would be much more powerful than GTVA ones for exemple, I suppose.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Grey Wolf

The thing is, the damage dealt by a beam is dealt every few milliseconds, instead of once per shot.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by venom2506
not really. it's just a matter of balance issues. if they were to make it realistic, all the shivans weapons would be much more powerful than GTVA ones for exemple, I suppose.

I actually went and changed weapons.tbl to that effect. Much more fun that way...

Offline r0nin

• http://mywebpages.comcast.net/r0nin/
A little investigation on the shield problem...
When the beam hits a ship it calls ship_apply_local_damage (line 2788 of code/Weapon/Beam.cpp).  If you check the parameters it passes, the beam passes a -1 to the function under shield quadrant.

In code/ShipHit/ShipHit.cpp on line 2284, the comment tells you that a -1 passed through in the shield quadrant parameter makes the hit ignore the shield.  It also tells you that the ship_apply_local_damage function assumes that whoever called the function knows if the shield got hit or not.

So what we need to do is find the shield facing that is hit.  Well, as _argv[-1] noted, the beam weapon passes the MC_CHECK_MODEL rather than the MC_CHECK_SHIELD flag.  Looking at mc_check_subobj (line 821 of code/Model/ModelCollide.cpp), there is code for both shield and model hits.  So the if the shield flag is sent, it MIGHT check the shield first.  However, I can't find anyplace that checks shield first, then model if no shield, so I'm not sure if more code is needed...

Anyway, we need to determine shield face struck before the ship_apply_local_damage is called...
"Have code, will travail..."
Member of the Robotech FS2 Mod.
http://www.robotechlan.com/freespace2/