Author Topic: PC gamepad with lots and lots of buttons?  (Read 62659 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: PC gamepad with lots and lots of buttons?
So uhh ... are those keys an elbow rest?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That looks a lot like the 360 controller with the keypad add-on attached to it.  Only worse.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
it looks painful to use.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Davros

but the important thing is I win :D

ps: £64.99 if anyone wants one

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you cant win the internet. oh thats what it wants you to think. but it will never happen. what its doing is giving you a false sense of epicness, and then at its first chance it will chop you to bits and feed you to the trolls. STOP THE INTERNET BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!!!111111ONEONEONE
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline iieeann

omg that veho mimi gamepad is crazy, difference with the ps3 keyboard + gamepad is this one the keyboard at bottom and the ps3 on top. 

weight is not mentioned anywhere at the website.

I like my AirFlo EX.  Good number of buttons, and that it can cool down your hands via fan.  Probably not good with people who have sensitive skin, though.   I am currently looking for a controller with more buttons, preferably 6 face buttons, and 6 shoulder triggers.  The closest that I can find thus far is the Hori Pad Xbox360 EX 2 Turbo...try saying that five times!  Only has four shoulder buttons, but that is still more than what I currently have.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I am currently using this Saitek P2900, only 13 programmable buttons.  2005

Oh god, you must have bought this one because it was all you could get locally or something. I love saitek as much as the next guy, but they sucked when they tried to make a wireless gamepad. The reviews for it sucked, customers hated it. The wired version of this controller was perfection. The crappy wireless technology in it sucked.

I bought the logitech rumblepad 2. Which didn't lose out with the wireless receiver, had twice the battery life, and the win for me was that it wasn't as physically monstrous as the saitek (i have small hands). Still own it, it's just a generic ps2 for pc controller. But, i like others prefer the six face buttons.

The best six button facing gamepad i've ever used was the gravis xterminator gamepad. It had an 8 way pov hat, throttle slider, two analog left and right triggers, two digital triggers tucked under the controller, bla bla bla, plugged into a gameport with an adapter to usb. It was also a very ergonomic gamepad, and those two digital triggers underneath the gamepad were perfectly positioned for your middle fingers to push.

That veho looks like awkward crap. That chinese 25+ button one looks like sex in two hands (i'm buying it). And i must drop the hint bomb for revitalizing an xbox 360 controller as a pc gamepad. XBCD right here, it lets you do anything and everything to your 360 controller except mapping keys (it's a different driver and also lets you change functionality of the controller like turning an analog trigger into the primary joystick x axis or whatever other things).

Great topic, i know some great suggestions to shop for now :yes:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Q: do you love me
A: yes you do

why
behold the Veho Mimi MIMI-KEY-003

User definable hot keys
Motion sensing air mouse
LED indicators for battery status
Trusty 8-way D-pad
Charging via mini USB port
HTPC supported
True wireless technology
Ergonomic gamepad with 2 analog joysticks and digital buttons
4 axis 10 fire buttons
Fully compatible, wirelessly control your PC, Mac or Linux machine
Plug and play, no drivers required
Up to 10 metres range depending on frequency

Ah yes, but does it have a Kitchen Sink?

Seriously, I'm worried about people other than Asian descent that have fat thumbs (such as myself) not being able to press ONE key.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

The wired version of this controller was perfection.

Oh geez, I had a wired one and gave it away. I could never get used to it and I never even used it that often.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Ironically the saitek wired's i only purchased 3 along with my logitech rumblepad for 4 player n64 emulation. I hardly touched them, and have sold them to other people a while ago (same story, they hardly got used). 4 player n64 emulation when it did happen was a blast though. I was interested in the saitek wireless version myself at first because saitek does make some great stuff. But, reviews and other people found it's wireless capability was just ****ty, so i didn't buy it.

I'm normally find logitech gamepads to be pretty bad, but the rumblepad 2 was actually great and a better product concerning the wireless aspect and battery life. My only gripe, is that with the 25+ button chinese controller...since it may not be that well known of a product, probably wont have any in depth reviews about performance, usage, etc. I do have a preference for wired technology as i don't need batteries then, but the logitech rumblepad 2, i replace the batteries like once a year (i also don't game that much).
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Did I hear you say you wanted buttons... we got yo buttons right here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIu87lKxZsI
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I feel like it would have been cheater to get one's pilot license...and maybe buy an actual plane. :p

Offline black

beginning thread de-hibernation sequence.

i think the optimal controller would have to be an xbox360 with 8 more buttons. current version wastes 6 whole fingers where buttons could be placed. these fingers are middle, ring, and pinkie, x2. a button placed at the finger tip of each of these would net you another 6 buttons.

reason why this was not already implemented long ago when i absolutely was not speaking with a microsoft executive about getting into the console business? everyone has different size hands. why i nor he didn't think to make the buttons regional idk. that is to say why not make them very big and hard to miss no matter what shape or size your hand. of course not everyone has the same number of fingers either but u can't really help that much :/

reason why the 2 additional face buttons were removed: sony, Nintendo, and microsoft all wanted to compete for the same games. as such, they all colluded to have the same degree of control.

Nintendo moved well away from this after their flop with game cube. xbox is microsoft and extremely clunky business wise, nothing gets done at microsoft without being proven to work first i.e. reverse engineering someone else's stuff and then paraphrasing the code.

of course the last two buttons would be returning the two of the 6 face buttons thus making 8 more buttons for you.

another reason why buttons were limited to the basic 16, dumbasses wanted to be able to compete and didn't want to have 22+ things to think about :/

how do we unf25k these problems? do we need to show up at an e3 in mass to confront console developers so we can get our PC controller's? i don't think that's gonnah work. ideas anyone?

oh and that progressive switch on that dpad is a nice feature. toss that in for a total of 10 additional buttons and you could feasibly play any mmo or anything else for that matter.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:00:19 pm by black »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I have a HOTAS with 32 buttons and 9 axes, and that's without even touching the CH Control Manager used by their controllers. If you play around with the manager, you could get something like 176 assignable "buttons" and 36 axes, any of which could be turned into 3 "buttons", giving you 284 assignable functions total. Enough?  :)
I wonder if even that Keyboard-gamepad could beat that.

Offline black

Hands On Throttle-And-Stick

this is really neither here nor there m8y as a joy and peddle are at no time fitting for the thread titled "PC gamepad with lots and lots of buttons?"

btw the keyboard one is useless. it's sacrificed all hands on control for mediocre control and mediocre keyboard control. it's just stupid.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
My intent was more to show superiority of a good HOTAS over all gamepads presented here, at least when it comes to buttons.  :)
Besides, aside from some flight sims, you're never going to use that many buttons. I've assigned 32 buttons to FS2 and that's more than enough, I only use about 10-16 in combat, at most (the latter figure is with all additional features like glide enabled). For most games, you don't need a large number of buttons (in fact, aside from FreeFalcon, everything I played could be played using a keyboard and and old, 7-button WingMan Force 3D).

Offline black

try an mmo some time.

as far as superiority goes, not there, can you take your hotas and use it in any other position than seated at a desk? could u use it while laying on your back with a laptop on yer chest? are every single one of those 16 buttons at your fingertips or as far as a finger moves? as far as it goes Superior control is a game pad. only exception being a mouse which lets you make much finer movements than mapping a mouse to a mini joy. and even that is easily corrected with a little experience and a kontrol freak which lets you dial up the sensitivity without losing any control.

please keep the hotas in the hotas thread not the gamepad thread, thx.

of course all these pads are pretty sucky, that's our point. these are all poor excuses for what could be but thats just do to idiot developers. gamepads could be so much more.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:00:34 am by black »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
are every single one of those 16 buttons at your fingertips or as far as a finger moves?
Yes.
While other complaints are valid (though most gaming computers that you'd buy HOTAS for are not laptops anyway), only 4 buttons and one axis (throttle wheel on joystick, which I don't ussualy use) need more than a slight movement of one finger. CH HOTAS set relies on HAT switches to accomplish that, and it's a great solution (also used in real aircraft, by the way).

Offline black

sec i think i should say, are all 16 of those buttons and a mouse at your fingertips without having to change the postion of your hand or otherwise chainging your grip angle.

adding another 10 buttons for pc gamepads is a just a good idea. no reason not to.