Author Topic: Well, it appears Duke Nukem Forever has just got a release date  (Read 7411 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Well, it appears Duke Nukem Forever has just got a release date
I have to hop through 50 friggin' hoops to install a game now a days because of pirating.

Pirating actually remove those hoops directly, especially the "pull out your wallet and pay money" hoop.  Though, seriously, pay for games that you like/from companies that are not evil.

As stated earlier, it's the companies' naive reasoning and unfortunate response to the pirating issue that causes these problems.  Blaming piracy for that is like blaming sex for AIDS.  It's certainly partially responsible for, but not guilty of, these problems.

No I can blame piracy.  Quite frankly any argument that piracy is a good thing is a bunch of bull ****.  People are not entitled to free movies, games music because they breathe air and have an internet connection.  Nor do you get to break laws because you think someone's an asshole.  Whether or not the industries' reaction is stupid is irrelevant the net result is people are breaking the law and they are screwing it up for the rest of us.

The "Glorious PC Master Race" is strangling its own goose.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
So you've got a vicious cycle here of 'bad corporate behavior justifies pirating justifies bad corporate behavior justifies pirating' and doesn't that maybe make you think a little that possibly one side has to stop so the other will too?

No. Because while that seems entirely logical, that will never happen. People like proprietary and securing it as much as possible when it means an income for them. Other people will always find a way to dissolve that. An inherit method of "lazy" exists in the human genome that basically boils down to "anybody who can have the most for the least will always choose that option over any other, even if the other options will prove more beneficial in the long term" because we generally spend a lot of focus on the "right now" mind-set.

And while that might be slowly changing in a global environmental scale, it kinda has to, because that triggers the survival mechanism. Something which anything like this will never run across.

And FYI, anti-piracy started well before piracy did, in terms of computer software. It's the whole reason why piracy now exists, birthed from the days of sneaker net and back-ally boxes full of floppies and hand-transcribed or badly xeroxed manuals.

Does that make either of them right? Not really. But companies are so hung up on "intellectually property" that they even sue people for inferences or "as-like-as" because of it now. In short, they lost sight of the "fun" factor. I have to agree with StarSlayer though, distributed piracy is bad as hell and has gotten WAY out of hand and people have a WAY overblown sense of self entitlement. I buy everything I have. If I choose to want to be able to make a "running" every-day copy of it so I can preserve the originals, that SHOULD be an OPTION (but not necessarily a RIGHT, though that would be nice) and in many cases, I cannot because that would make it too easy for me to then do something stupid like ISO it and upload it somewhere just because I feel like it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:54:26 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
My concern about Piracy is that the estimates always assume that Pirates would buy the product if they could not pirate it, which is not accurate. So we also end up with an environment where companies present grossly over-inflated estimations of losses through Piracy in order to justify their behaviour.

That said, I would say that Boycott is far better than Piracy, we can learn to live without our shinies.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
My concern about Piracy is that the estimates always assume that Pirates would buy the product if they could not pirate it, which is not accurate. So we also end up with an environment where companies present grossly over-inflated estimations of losses through Piracy in order to justify their behaviour.

There is that as well. Excusing the bad sales by blaming piracy because they tried taking piracy (when none happened) into account is another factor. Though, if they figure that if they make it un-piratable that the pirates will HAVE to buy it means that 8 out of 10 pirates wait for the other 2 to buy it and crack it and then it spreads like wildfire.

To get more on topic here though: I played the hell out of Duke. I modded for Duke. I remixed for Duke. I will always bet on Duke. Nobody get's tired of Duke and you KNOW you'll be playing it anyway. Because it won't be the same tired game you bored yourself out of back then. If you're bored of the FPS Genre in general, don't hold that against Duke, it's not his fault that Halo tea-bagging douche-wads have taken over. Chew some bubble-gum and support a real FPS and always Bet on Duke.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I have to hop through 50 friggin' hoops to install a game now a days because of pirating.

Pirating actually remove those hoops directly, especially the "pull out your wallet and pay money" hoop.  Though, seriously, pay for games that you like/from companies that are not evil.

As stated earlier, it's the companies' naive reasoning and unfortunate response to the pirating issue that causes these problems.  Blaming piracy for that is like blaming sex for AIDS.  It's certainly partially responsible for, but not guilty of, these problems.

No I can blame piracy.  Quite frankly any argument that piracy is a good thing is a bunch of bull ****.  People are not entitled to free movies, games music because they breathe air and have an internet connection.  Nor do you get to break laws because you think someone's an asshole.  Whether or not the industries' reaction is stupid is irrelevant the net result is people are breaking the law and they are screwing it up for the rest of us.

The "Glorious PC Master Race" is strangling its own goose.

Woah woah, I never said piracy was good.  I said piracy is not particularly bad.

First of all, piracy is never, ever going away.  It's much more feasible to reform the companies than to reform everyone else.

Less piracy talk more Duke is awesome talk.

Hail to the King, baby!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I find the attitude most people try to cop when it comes to piracy generally irks the hell out of me This really pisses me off! .

Whenever someone gets on a soap box to tell me either they're somehow doing society a service by pirating or acting in indignation that their free **** stream is potentially going to be cut off I want to Gibbs slap them rip thier head off and **** down thier neck!  There is no inalienable right to downloading **** for free without earning it (unlike guns and stippers) and they are not some selfless Robin Hood for doing it.  If someone wants to pirate fine, but stop trying to put on airs and man up about it Blow it out your ass!

* Dukefied for thread theme
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Nuclear1

Microtransactions are the future.

Only if development studios want me to lean the craft of bomb making and take down their offices

oh hai fbi how you guys doin
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Maybe the piracy bits should be cut out for more duke bits?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Nuclear1

"Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum.  Hmm, gonna get me some wenches."

Yes, you did just read that in Duke's voice :D
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Yes, you did just read that in Duke's voice :D

:mad:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Luis Dias

epic ;)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I LOL'd, this one I'm getting, oh yes.
el hombre vicio...