Author Topic: So redsniper went and awakened the great old ones  (Read 10573 times)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Re: So redsniper went and awakened the great old ones
3.1.what?

Man, last time I looked in here, Derelict was the only one of the campaigns listed that was actually finished! ;)

Seriously, it's been ... goodness, at least three years since I last stuck my head in, and the last time before that  it was probably three years before THAT. Where's Sandwhich and Steak and that crazy Frenchman who I always argued with (was it Venom?) and Thunderwhathisfireth or Shrike? Do they yet live? I know Goober and Mr. Vega do. What about Lt. Narol?
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Sandwhich still around, not sure about the others
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I haven't played much of BP:WiH yet (finished BP:AoA though), but sad to say, it's kinda lag in the first mission. I hope the lag somehow stops in the succeeding ones, otherwise it's going to be a bit of a problem.
Arguably, it's not the lightest mission of the campaign, but it's far to be the heaviest. You'd be better at lowering the settings and resolution as much as you can if you want descent fps, or wait for optimized UEF capships to be finished and released. If the fps are already too low for you in a cutscene, it's not gonna feel better in actual gameplay.

Okay, *expects wave of flames*, but I somehow find it a minor setback to play as a female.
Deal with it  :cool:
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Shade

Can we stop this bickering and instead find screenshots and videos to show-off to those old-timers who think 3.6.9 or retail was the best thing since sliced bread?

I'd suggest This. May not show a damned thing about the quality of campaign releases from the last few years, but it definitely does show off the current visual quality of FS2_open+MediaVPs :D

[Edit] Link fixed. Something wonky happened apparently.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:38:40 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Can we stop this bickering and instead find screenshots and videos to show-off to those old-timers who think 3.6.9 or retail was the best thing since sliced bread?

I'd suggest This. May not show a damned thing about the quality of campaign releases from the last few years, but it definitely does show off the current visual quality of FS2_open+MediaVPs :D
Is the URL supposed to be http://this/ ?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Can't touch click this. *Insert annoying rap song here*

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Hey, Hammertime is pretty good for a Rap song, it's just about everything else that came after it that blows ass.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I think that the enormous explosion of creativity we've seen in recent years has been fueled almost entirely by collaboration. Maybe that's something the older mods - Inferno, MT, BWO - never understood. Even on their internal forums they still talk about exclusive assets, holding on to things, beating people.

Because you haven't (and probably never had) access to the MT and BWO private boards, do you mind telling me what made you put Inferno in that list? Beating...? Do you realize that you're spreading misinformation? First of all, you need to get the difference between pure campaigns and pure mods. Blue Planet started as a pure campaign, using assets someone else made and achieving excellent results at it. Inferno started as a mod, with tons of completely new stuff, and a campaign provided with it. The reason why I think INFR1 is still great has nothing to do with its released Chapter 1 campaign: after all these years, I still look at the models and effects (the fact that they're outclassed now is not relevant) and think "Wow". When a project tends more to the "mod" part, the approach on release policies changes completely and you get stuff like new ships being kept private until release, because it's important to claim full ownership over new ships if you know 90% of the success of mod X depends on them. If you tend to the "campaign" part, exclusive stuff is of secondary importance because the core of the project is - and will be - the campaign. I noticed this difference in the years I spent here; apparently, everything depends on the project leaders' goal, which may vary.

Addressing the other issue... so, new campaigns significantly outweight older ones under many points of view? But of course! Did the creators of Derelict have 3.6.9 or newer? Did they have the marvellous, content-rich Media VPs we have now? Was FreeSpace modding as much as professional as it is now? If they wanted something new, were they able to ask a coder to add feature X or create a script ad hoc? Did they have tons of new SEXPs to play around with? Did they have our same computers? No. I believe some more modesty would be appropriate here - new campaigns are awesome because the SCP and FSU made a lot of things possible, not because new campaign designers are smarter and/or more skilled than the older ones. I'd like to clarify this because many community members think the halo of sacred awesomeness recent campaigns have is imputable only to said campaigns' respective FREDders.

I still think that if Blaise Russel had the opportunities we have now, we'd still be talking about S:AH, Homesick, FEP (this one was SCP compatible, but still not meant to rely heavily on new features) and other campaigns. Same thing when it comes to Derelict and its creators. One more thing: the fact that BP is successful doesn't mean that pretty much everyone here wants a talking player character and, more in general, a pure character-based environment. I see people making major assumptions on "changes to the community's tastes" without actual evidence.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:26:09 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Shade

Is the URL supposed to be http://this/ ?

Nope. Fixed the link, should be working now. No idea what happened there.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
3.1.what?

Man, last time I looked in here, Derelict was the only one of the campaigns listed that was actually finished! ;)

Seriously, it's been ... goodness, at least three years since I last stuck my head in, and the last time before that  it was probably three years before THAT. Where's Sandwhich and Steak and that crazy Frenchman who I always argued with (was it Venom?) and Thunderwhathisfireth or Shrike? Do they yet live? I know Goober and Mr. Vega do. What about Lt. Narol?

Nice to see you around Mikhael. It's been a while. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hey, Hammertime is pretty good for a Rap song, it's just about everything else that came after it that blows ass.
No Hammertime is not a good rap song it's a viral song like stuff by Rick Astley, Justin Bieber or Rebecca Black. Though Rick Astley is actually quite good. Points to Rick Astley for being cool. I shouldn't have put him on that list.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
All approaches to game narrative have their strengths and weaknesses. The only true failing would be homogeneity.

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
It doesn't have to be the main character that's uniquely *insert gender here*, we still have the Head.Ani's.
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Marcov, getting back to the original statement, what difference does it make to you that your character is a female? Do you think that it would have an effect on her performance in combat?

I usually savor Alpha 1 being sort of the "Badass" "invincible" guy, not the Action girl.

Also yeah, partially like what Droid803 said: kinda hard to relate to the character.

yeah um sorry but "action girl" is by definition "badass" and if you want to be invincible just type www.freespace2.com :7

anyway, you have your preference (as do a lot of dudes) to play as dudes in games and the BP team has ignored it so I don't see much else to discuss.

Also, the style was truer to FS than any other fan campaign (even had the clever mission names that would make Volition proud).

I agree. For the longest time, I had a memory of one of the Derelict briefings (the one that quotes the Bible about the Number of the Beast) and I thought it was actually from the retail campaign. When I replayed the main FS2 campaign and didn't see it, I was confused, then I replayed Derelict and figured it out.
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I believe my point has proven itself by now.....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I believe my point has proven itself by now.....
And what point was that exactly? I don't seem to recall you ever expressing one.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Derelict (original derelict with the static credit mission using training messages as the cypher does a flyby) will always remain an innovative groundbreaking LEAP FORWARD in my opinion. Also Sync and Transcend.

All this stemmed from a facebook related topic.

I am content :cool:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What the **** happened to my reply to Mobius?

One more thing: the fact that BP is successful doesn't mean that pretty much everyone here wants a talking player character and, more in general, a pure character-based environment. I see people making major assumptions on "changes to the community's tastes" without actual evidence.

I've said over and over again that people don't want this, that there should always be a variety of narrative approaches, not a single one. In fact I've told you several times over the years that the great strength of the community is diversity and heterogeneity, rather than everyone doing something one way. (This is the same position Volition's always taken, incidentally). I don't know what you're talking about.

No. I believe some more modesty would be appropriate here - new campaigns are awesome because the SCP and FSU made a lot of things possible, not because new campaign designers are smarter and/or more skilled than the older ones. I'd like to clarify this because many community members think the halo of sacred awesomeness recent campaigns have is imputable only to said campaigns' respective FREDders.

And again, here, I don't think I've seen anyone claim this. I don't know what you're trying to say or who you're trying to argue against.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:26:37 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them