Author Topic: Bearbaiting  (Read 6720 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

I once heard that there is a bonus beam cannon that you can knock out in the mission Bearbaiting. If that is true, where is it?
I have searched the forum, but was unsuccessful.

 

Offline Fineus

  • I made this.
  • Administrator
  • 212
    • Hard Light Productions
There is - can't remember which though.

 

Offline Razor

  • 210
It is the only L-RED cannon that SJ has. It is located at the rear of the ship just above the main engines. If you look for it in FRED2, you may get a better clue where it is.

 
Quote
Originally posted by Beowulf45
I once heard that there is a bonus beam cannon that you can knock out in the mission Bearbaiting. If that is true, where is it?
I have searched the forum, but was unsuccessful.


Yip, see what Razor said.
Do the Bonus goals give you more points?  I've looked at the campaign missions in FRED and they dont seem to.

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

 

Offline karajorma

  • King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
  • 214
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You don`t get any more points for bonus objectives but they do give you boasting rights in the mess hall.  :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

 

Offline Stryke 9

  • Village Person
    Reset count: 4
  • 211
'Fact, I don't think you get points PERIOD unless you kill the thing...

 
Don't you get promotions through the bonus and secondary objectives that you complete?

 

Offline Redfang

  • 28
A good tactic (I guess) is to order wingmen to destroy that rear beam cannon, and you destroy others.
 
Quote
Originally posted by Beowulf45
Don't you get promotions through the bonus and secondary objectives that you complete?

 
You get promotions by score.

 

Offline CP5670

  • Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
  • 212
  • 142857
Quote
'Fact, I don't think you get points PERIOD unless you kill the thing...


In the following mission, High Noon, I tend to fire off a few Helios bombs at the Sathanas; the only other things damaging the juggernaut are the Colossus beams, and beams do not count for kill points, so I always end up getting the 10000-point kill. :D

Quote
A good tactic (I guess) is to order wingmen to destroy that rear beam cannon, and you destroy others.


Yes, that is what I do. The wingmen get blown up too fast in the front area to do any appreciable damage, so I just send a wing to the rear area. (while the other two cover me)

 
Usually what I do is to tell Beta wing to ignore the Sathanas, attack everything else, and in a pinch, to cover me. Then I tell Alpha and Delta to take out one of the flak cannons and I take out the other when I'm done with the main cannons. Most of the time, it works. But, this way, I can't get the bonus cannon.

 

Offline Razor

  • 210
Quote
Originally posted by Beowulf45
Usually what I do is to tell Beta wing to ignore the Sathanas, attack everything else, and in a pinch, to cover me. Then I tell Alpha and Delta to take out one of the flak cannons and I take out the other when I'm done with the main cannons. Most of the time, it works. But, this way, I can't get the bonus cannon.


When you are done with flaks and forward beams, hit the burners to max. Use the ETS ( energy transfer system) to maximaze power to the engines, rush to the back of the SJ, find the beam, hit afterburner and fire! With afterburner, you accelerate the Helios to a very high speed which is very usefull since the SJ is mooving quite fast for its size.

 

Offline Redfang

  • 28
Quote
Originally posted by Razor


When you are done with flaks and forward beams, hit the burners to max. Use the ETS ( energy transfer system) to maximaze power to the engines, rush to the back of the SJ, find the beam, hit afterburner and fire! With afterburner, you accelerate the Helios to a very high speed which is very usefull since the SJ is mooving quite fast for its size.

That's hard. I don't remember have I ever managed to do it so. It takes enough time to destroy forward beams and flak, but then if you have to fly almost 6km to get to rear there usually isn't enough time.
 
Quote
Originally posted by CP5670


In the following mission, High Noon, I tend to fire off a few Helios bombs at the Sathanas; the only other things damaging the juggernaut are the Colossus beams, and beams do not count for kill points, so I always end up getting the 10000-point kill.

 
:nod:
 
But, don't you have to do at least 20% damage (don't remember) to get the kill?

 

Offline karajorma

  • King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
  • 214
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Quote
Originally posted by Redfang
But, don't you have to do at least 20% damage (don't remember) to get the kill?


If CP5670 is correct beam damage doesn`t count towards overall damage so the game just adds up the damage you did to the sathanas Vs the amount did by other bombers.

I always did wonder why I`d been given a kill for the sath in High Noon. I just thought the game must have given them out for everyone involved :)

Think I`m going to play those two missions again :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

 

Offline Redfang

  • 28
Quote
Originally posted by karajorma


If CP5670 is correct beam damage doesn`t count towards overall damage so the game just adds up the damage you did to the sathanas Vs the amount did by other bombers.

 
Yes, he is correct. I thought that you would have to take out 20% of the ship's hull (200 000 hit points in case of Sathanas) to get the kill, but it seems that it's so like you said. :)

 
I get promoted every time I play this mission.
I never heard about no Bonus Beam Cannon
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.

 
I don't really know how to use the FRED2 anyway, though I tried, and I couldn't find where that LRed beam turret is. The program says that it's the 51st turret, though I have know idea where that is.

 

Offline LtNarol

  • Biased Banshee
  • 211
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Objectives can give you points if they are set up that way in Fred, as can events.  Promotions can be either done with points or an event can give you a promotion, just like a medal.  As for that Sathanas, i managed to completely disarm it once...that took forever.  Then enemy fighters did get somewhat annoying though

 

Offline Nuclear1

  • 211
Quote
Originally posted by Beowulf45
I don't really know how to use the FRED2 anyway, though I tried, and I couldn't find where that LRed beam turret is. The program says that it's the 51st turret, though I have know idea where that is.


Press K with a ship targeted so you can cycle through the ship's turrets (yes, even in FRED2) :D
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

 

Offline Razor

  • 210
Quote
Originally posted by killadonuts
I get promoted every time I play this mission.
I never heard about no Bonus Beam Cannon


I think it is found in the objectives window. :nod:

 
Quote
Originally posted by Razor

 With afterburner, you accelerate the Helios to a very high speed  


I've heard that before but it doesnt work.  The helios go their standard 55m/s (i think) no matter how fast you are going when you launch them.  Thats how if you boost you can keep ahead of your helios torpedoes and launch another 2 pairs of them at the same target on only 1 bombing run.
Plus since freespace doesnt have real physics, it doesnt matter how fast you go to launch them.

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"