Author Topic: Texture talk (split from Celebration of FS)  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Texture talk (split from Celebration of FS)
EDIT - Images for context HERE.

Wow - I would not have guessed anywhere near 15k tris fro that model. I think tile mapping is what kills the detail a lot of the time. Also, in order to prevent checker-patterns of doom, people often use maps at way large scales, leading the models to seem small.

I know tiling has its place, But TBH I think in this case it's doing you more harm than good, based on those pictures alone, of course.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:23:05 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Texture talk (split from Celebration of FS)
I don't have capabilitys to provide my models better mapping. To uvmapp a model, I need a dedicated texture artist and proper mapper. Only Galemp and VA have abilities to make a mapping and textures what can fit the expectations, but the are both busy as hell. FSF mapped this model, I'm made up with current mapping, hovewer these models will be improved in the future. I'm going to find someone who can do a good textures and better mapping for my models... But not now. Maybe for the sequel of the Shadow Genesis. Anyway, I've reached the goal - I have complete terran fleet for my mod, that's the most important.

Otherwise, most of the details are plates - part of the Moonred's modeling style.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't have capabilitys to provide my models better mapping. To uvmapp a model, I need a dedicated texture artist and proper mapper. Only Galemp and VA have abilities to make a mapping and textures what can fit the expectations, but the are both busy as hell. FSF mapped this model, I'm made up with current mapping, hovewer these models will be improved in the future. I'm going to find someone who can do a good textures and better mapping for my models... But not now. Maybe for the sequel of the Shadow Genesis. Anyway, I've reached the goal - I have complete terran fleet for my mod, that's the most important.

Otherwise, most of the details are plates - part of the Moonred's modeling style.

WTH?

There are many more accomplished texture artists around here... RgaNoris, Sab0o,.. heck.. I could even do it...

Not saying any of these people will do it... just that there are many more than just those 2.... In fact, I like Galemp and he's pretty dang talented, but I would not put him at the same texturing level as a guy like VA.. so your sentence just boggles my mind...

Also, your defense of tile mapping finally makes sense..

EDIT: Forgot Brand-X and probably some others too...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:49:24 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
He's right about one thing though.
Every single texture artist is busy as hell.
If you wait for people to UVmap and texture your models you can kiss goodbye to a release date within the next fifty years.

You absolutely MUST UVmap and texture your own models (and have plenty of spare time to boot) if you don't want to do tilemapping and want a sane release date. Such is the truth. You can safely assume that absolutely no one is willing to do either of those for you, ever. If you can't do it yourself, then you can only tilemap, or use already-released assets.

Do you know how many mods have been delayed or died due to waiting for assets?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:42:45 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh.. I'm not arguing that at all... I was just extremely surprised at his complete underestimation of the talents of the community.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
RgaNorris, Sab0o... Sorry but their texturing style is not in my taste. Rga's Sath for example - it's candyish and cartoonish as hell. Sab0o's Artemises - the same. Call me the ignorant but I have specyfic definition of good looking HTLs. Good looking HTL = small amount of author's artistic invension in the textures. Galemp and VA's textures are strict remade of orginal textures with standard FS feeling. I saw old version of the Typhon with terran lights textures and I've just fell apart. Galemp fixed it all.

And I know most of the talented people here. Maybe I fargot about a few good artists like FSK. I'm not dispute skills of RGA, Sab0o, or yours Mixael but your texturing style don't fit to my mod. This is not another BP or WoD.

And I'm also don't wanna delay release of Shadow Genesis. This is the same thing as in BWO or MT. Everyone told authors of this mods "Release it without HTL models!", but they want to wait until HTLs are complete. I don't want to wait for good texture artist. I have models, I need them and I want finish my mod, so I will do it even with capships mapped with older methods. If a few tilemapped capships are problem for you - don't play.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
He's right about one thing though.
Every single texture artist is busy as hell.
If you wait for people to UVmap and texture your models you can kiss goodbye to a release date within the next fifty years.

You absolutely MUST UVmap and texture your own models (and have plenty of spare time to boot) if you don't want to do tilemapping and want a sane release date. Such is the truth. You can safely assume that absolutely no one is willing to do either of those for you, ever. If you can't do it yourself, then you can only tilemap, or use already-released assets.

Do you know how many mods have been delayed or died due to waiting for assets?
Quoted for truth.
To use an example from that one silly project I've invested a lot of time in: I've heard it repeated quite a bit that Wings of Dawn has 'low quality assets'. I attribute most of these complaints to my lack of any real texturing talent. I just don't have much of a feel for it. Not to mention that due to the large amount of assets I simply couldn't afford to spend months on a single ship&textures if I actually wanted to release the damn thing. So with all the texture artists busy, what choice did I have? I could either texture most of it myself and get stuff done, or hope that I could somehow find a talented texture artist willing to do a lot of work.
Now Sab0o has been a total baller and did a great texture job recently on a ship for WoD. And the great Axem himself couldn't believe that the mesh itself was made by me. Leaving me once again to the conclusion that my ship meshes are pretty decent and that they just need a good texture job to shine properly.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually, MT didn't die because of HTL models, nobody ever considered we could also do that. What killed it was lack of motivation, and sadly, just that. Though there was a HTL Chimera in the works (almost finished), if missions were done before it, we'd have gotten the demo out with a low poly one.
While tiling looks worse than UVmaps, it has an adventage of being fast and simple. Inferno decided to go with tiles on capships exactly because it didn't wanted to end up like BWO, and as a result, it was moving at a suprising pace until it almost ran out of (Terran) capships to HTL. BTW, if somebody would like to help with texturing (UVmapping is done, no need to worry about that) fighters for Inferno, we could use some help with that.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
*snip*
Very nice skyboxes, have they appeared hereabouts before?
The part of the planet that's visible is very nice, too. :D

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think he's using the Earth Defense nebulae

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
RgaNorris, Sab0o... Sorry but their texturing style is not in my taste. ...

And I know most of the talented people here. Maybe I fargot about a few good artists like FSK. I'm not dispute skills of RGA, Sab0o, or yours Mixael but your texturing style don't fit to my mod. ...

You know what else makes a good texture artist vs. a great texture artist? When they can realize that they have the avenue of being creative, and when they don't and being able to work in either.

If you don't like the creative licenses that they take on something, that's fine. But that doesn't mean you can't still approach them and say "I have a specific style, it's NOT up for re-interpretation, are you willing to help me get it done as I see it should be?" and they'll either go with it, or pass.

But to reject them out of hand, to reject their skill and knowledge because you have a different opinion on their "style" without even considering asking them anyway and seeing if they are willing and able to work within your conventions ... I'm sorry, but that's shooting yourself in the foot there.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Betrayal is an FS traditionalist. He didn't like many awesome things just because they weren't "FS-ish enough" (IE. mimicking outdated, over 10 years old style in just about everything).

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Betrayal is an FS traditionalist. He didn't like many awesome things just because they weren't "FS-ish enough" (IE. mimicking outdated, over 10 years old style in just about everything).
Well in that case I will declare his opinion null and void :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's not true FS style unless it's tilemapped.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

So wait, let me get this straight; you're saying that attempting something the nature of the game we're all still here for is automatically bad.

If you're declaring your FS apostasy straight up, the door is that way, don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, I'm not here for FS anyway, retail version seemed rather medicore for me (inferior to Wing Commander, that's for sure). It was BP: AoA that convinced me to care about FS universe (Inferno was also nice, as it introduced me to modding). When I started modding, I planned to someday do a TC outside of FS universe.
While making models in the nature of FS2 is a good idea, there's absolutely no reason to be limited by it. Taking creative liberty with remakes and new models, while keeping them reasonably close to the original, is something I support. And new models don't have to strictly follow the old FS2 style (Startcomm's models are a great example of a new Terran style, which works well in FS universe), and especially not campaigns and writing. Betrayal would prefer everything to adhere to FS2 style as closely as old Inferno did, but IMHO, there's a limited number of ways to make a FS2 style campaign, and new ideas are also needed.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Well, I'm not here for FS anyway, retail version seemed rather medicore for me (inferior to Wing Commander, that's for sure). It was BP: AoA that convinced me to care about FS universe (Inferno was also nice, as it introduced me to modding). When I started modding, I planned to someday do a TC outside of FS universe.
While making models in the nature of FS2 is a good idea, there's absolutely no reason to be limited by it. Taking creative liberty with remakes and new models, while keeping them reasonably close to the original, is something I support. And new models don't have to strictly follow the old FS2 style (Startcomm's models are a great example of a new Terran style, which works well in FS universe), and especially not campaigns and writing. Betrayal would prefer everything to adhere to FS2 style as closely as old Inferno did, but IMHO, there's a limited number of ways to make a FS2 style campaign, and new ideas are also needed.
>Wing Commander being superior to FreeSpace
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Luis Dias

It's not true FS style unless it's tilemapped.

:lol: so true

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
>Wing Commander being superior to FreeSpace

WC told character stories better but FS has a more epic feel
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
You won't get around tile maps, but with a few additional poly loops to squeeze in a few different texture strips it's not that back actually.

However (and that is what isn't possible in FSO at the moment), you need to break up the tiled look a bit.  Dirt and scratches on a separate texture channel help a lot. Baked AO and lights also make a huge difference. (SSAO also helps.)

On top of that different glossy values make textures more realistic and help to give ships a better feeling of size.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------