Author Topic: Skyrim and Stuff  (Read 39374 times)

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
If you have to do exe injections to mod a game, you're doing it awfully wrong. Really.

Script Extenders - They added functions that were never needed in the development of the game/are not actually part of the engine. So, actually, more like doing it incredibly right.

Otherwise, you have access to everything that was used to create the actual game content barring some proprietary havok and speedtree stuff (Which Creation Engine no longer uses anyway)

The 4GB thing is stupid, but symptomatic of the whole "port" mentality that is prevalent in companies these days. And, the steam patch did nothing to stop other 4Gb methods being used which work perfectly with steam, so, no problem there.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Here's the list of additional functions added via OBSE: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/OBSE_Functions

My personal favorites are getbaseobject and setessential.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
EDIT: Also agreed with Matt, 64-bit exe's may be hard but the simpler edits shouldn't have to be done by third parties. With Oblivion I understand, next gen stuff, new tech, rushed game, but Skyrim is a whole lot different to me in that department. Nonetheless I haven't had performance issues at all. Not everyone has my kind of rig though..

The game WAS made for consoles, so I dont' see what's surprising about that.

The inventory is a dead giveaway. Too bad the GUI mod is glitchy as hell.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mikes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTMwjYgJsFQ  :drevil:

OMG the more often you watch the harder you laugh!

Now my stomach hurts, Thanks! :P LOL

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
BUT! THERE IS ONE THEY FEAR! IN THEIR TONGUE HE'S DOVAHKIIN!...
...DRAGONBORN!

(I'm surprised I didn't see this in the thread earlier actually)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:47:03 am by deathfun »
"No"

Offline newman

Pretty far into the game now. Overall, I like it, for the $ it gives me a lot of hours of entertainment. Fair trade. There are a few things that bother me, and one of them is the annoyingly super-fast progression from newbie recruit to becoming a leader of any given faction. You can go from someone who just enrolled in the college of magii (or whatever it's called) to arch-mage in what it felt to me was like half an hour. Do a few quests and that's it. Worst part of it is, you don't even need to know a whole lot about magic to become the arch-mage. There are a few points where you need to use a specific spell or use an enchanted items but overall you can be a total beginner in magic and be the arch-mage. That just feels wrong to me. Morrowind used to have skill requirements before you could advance in rank in any given faction. You had to do specific quests to advance, yes, but you couldn't become a high ranking officer in the Legion without having a clue on which side of the sword is the pointy end and which you hold in your hand. You couldn't become a high ranking mage without being a pretty high level in certain schools of magic. It took time and effort and was all the more rewarding when you did get there. Now the ranks are out completely. You start as a newb, and 30 minutes later you're the leader of that guild/faction. An achievement that feels totally hollow, fake, and undeserved.
I guess I want the long engrossing guild progression process that Morrowind had, together with ranks and skill requirements before you can be promoted. But I'm guessing your average gamer today doesn't have the patience so we'll pander him by making him the master of the universe with very little time and effort invested. Meh.
Like I said, overall it's a great game and if you like open sandbox type games with huge worlds to explore and plenty to do in them, then Skyrim is your best bet when it comes to any game that's relatively new. The game is good. But it could have been epic. Too bad.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Can't wait for proper mod tools. Gonna mod the living S*** out of this!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Pretty far into the game now. Overall, I like it, for the $ it gives me a lot of hours of entertainment. Fair trade. There are a few things that bother me, and one of them is the annoyingly super-fast progression from newbie recruit to becoming a leader of any given faction. You can go from someone who just enrolled in the college of magii (or whatever it's called) to arch-mage in what it felt to me was like half an hour. Do a few quests and that's it. Worst part of it is, you don't even need to know a whole lot about magic to become the arch-mage. There are a few points where you need to use a specific spell or use an enchanted items but overall you can be a total beginner in magic and be the arch-mage. That just feels wrong to me. Morrowind used to have skill requirements before you could advance in rank in any given faction. You had to do specific quests to advance, yes, but you couldn't become a high ranking officer in the Legion without having a clue on which side of the sword is the pointy end and which you hold in your hand. You couldn't become a high ranking mage without being a pretty high level in certain schools of magic. It took time and effort and was all the more rewarding when you did get there. Now the ranks are out completely. You start as a newb, and 30 minutes later you're the leader of that guild/faction. An achievement that feels totally hollow, fake, and undeserved.
 <snip>

I ensure to take it slow on all the important quests, mixing them up with lots of Miscellaneous quests, but true. If someone wants he can rush through these, and that's just a waste.

For Skyrim to truly shine, these shortcomings are to be modded out - the modded Skyrim will probably be the best anyone could want. ;) Looking forward to mod it all too.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline newman

I ensure to take it slow on all the important quests, mixing them up with lots of Miscellaneous quests, but true. If someone wants he can rush through these, and that's just a waste.
For Skyrim to truly shine, these shortcomings are to be modded out - the modded Skyrim will probably be the best anyone could want. ;) Looking forward to mod it all too.

I'm a big completionist and tend to take my time with games like these. The point is, there is no rank structure for the player to advance through in any guild or faction, and you can go from beginner to leader of a faction in a very low amount of time. If you're going to become a senior mage / arch mage, there should be a skill requirement and it shouldn't be doable in an hour or so of gameplay. This just feels wrong to me.
But I agree, if mods fix this and several other issues, it might be worth a replay in a year or so.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Can't wait for proper mod tools. Gonna mod the living S*** out of this!

I will give you a cookie if you replace dragons with Shivans.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Why not replace dragons with Dragons?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

Those things are hard enough to hit with lasers.  How the hell do we kill one with a bow and arrows???
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

I don't think your glass sword will cut a Dragon.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft

I don't think your glass sword will cut a Dragon.

No but a handheld Kaiser would
"No"

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Do I see the beginnings of a Skyrim Freespace mod? :drevil:
I'm not sure how that'd even work.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
I guess I want the long engrossing guild progression process that Morrowind had, together with ranks and skill requirements before you can be promoted. But I'm guessing your average gamer today doesn't have the patience so we'll pander him by making him the master of the universe with very little time and effort invested. Meh.
Like I said, overall it's a great game and if you like open sandbox type games with huge worlds to explore and plenty to do in them, then Skyrim is your best bet when it comes to any game that's relatively new. The game is good. But it could have been epic. Too bad.

Stick 'em with the pointy end!
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Stick 'em with the pointy end!
Win
"No"