Author Topic: Skyrim and Stuff  (Read 39372 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Which bring about two completely different experiences - you want to roleplay someone with God-like power. I don't.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Someone tell me if they fixed the goddamn points-base leveling for your character.  There were rumours beforehand that Bethesda was finally getting rid of the insane bonus system that required you to level certain skills, but allowed you to level whatever else with no effect on your character level (leading to the absurdity that if you picked major skills that you intentionally never used, you could level all the useful skills to maximum and have a godlike character at level 1 which you then slowly level to the quest prerequisites).

Is this TES trash finally gone, and something more common sense in its place?  That was the worst part about Oblivion - if you ignore the bonus system and level as it happens without pre-planning, by level 10 you are getting your ass kicked in dungeons because you don't have enough points in the right places (my first encounter with Wraiths).

Waiting for a Steam sale...
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
They did.  There is no class system, and all of your skills increasing will level you up.  The higher the skill is the more the next level in the skill contributes toward your total level.

That said, some kinds of enemies can and most assuredly will kick your ass if you don't have your points spent in a certain way.  Those are the guys you run away from very fast.  Normally, I'd get pissed off at something like that, but considering that it was a ****ing wooly mammoth that chased me across the mountains, I'll give it a pass. :P

They did.  There is no class system, and all of your skills increasing will level you up.  The higher the skill is the more the next level in the skill contributes toward your total level.

That said, some kinds of enemies can and most assuredly will kick your ass if you don't have your points spent in a certain way.  Those are the guys you run away from very fast.  Normally, I'd get pissed off at something like that, but considering that it was a ****ing wooly mammoth that chased me across the mountains, I'll give it a pass. :P

That is good news. That's something I definitely missed from Oblivion and FE3: Needing to run away from things. The closest I came in Oblivion were cave trolls, but they went down with a little sniping from out of their reach, and the closest in FE3 was the first deathclaw I fought, but it went down too with a few rifle rounds to the legs.
My experience was that there was nothing you couldn't do with the correct combination of cowardice and preparation. Actually encountering something too hard to kill will be a nice change.

P.S. Also waiting for a sale. Steam christmas sale is right around the corner! Wheee!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

That is good news. That's something I definitely missed from Oblivion and FE3: Needing to run away from things. The closest I came in Oblivion were cave trolls, but they went down with a little sniping from out of their reach, and the closest in FE3 was the first deathclaw I fought, but it went down too with a few rifle rounds to the legs.
My experience was that there was nothing you couldn't do with the correct combination of cowardice and preparation. Actually encountering something too hard to kill will be a nice change.

P.S. Also waiting for a sale. Steam christmas sale is right around the corner! Wheee!

This, when you first exit the Vault it's a hard scrabble quest to simply not get murdered or eaten.  The first Deathclaw I saw took two missiles to the face, ran over and murdered me in one swipe.  By the mid/end I could practically one shot them with the Blackhawk, FO3 goes from "Oh Jesus Run!" to curb stomping pretty much everything with ease.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Which bring about two completely different experiences - you want to roleplay someone with God-like power. I don't.

Who said anything about want? I didn't say anything about want.

I said something about fixed points: backstory and actual objects in the game's world. That's really not open to interpretation at all.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

So, anybody else actually playing this? :D

I'm playing a Breton mage (level 12 at present). Mixed opinions on the game.

Good:
*Quests and dungeons are put together very well. Lots of actual content, little to no filler, excellent attention to detail.
*Graphics are good. Some people are *****ing about them, but they do the trick for me.
*Finally, a Bethesda game where the women don't all have mustaches!

Neutral:
*Overall plot is rather mediocre so far, although I'll hold judgment since I'm not very far into it.

Bad:
*Combat consists of kiting games and button mashing. Although maybe I'm just doing it wrong. :p
*The game was obviously designed for the console. The PC "conversion", if Bethesda's feeble attempt can be called that, is easily the worst I have ever seen.
*3d world map looks pretty, but is about as useful as the nipples on the Batsuit when you're trying to figure out how to reach your destination.

Offline LHN91

Am playing. Have not had much time. I'm a Level 3 Redguard.

Though agreed at the completely unconverted interface. It's far easier to play with a 360 pad, which is kinda frustrating.

You get used to it after a little while, it truly does not bother me at all on a keyboard. Just wait for a good interface mod if it does continue to bother you though. That's probably what makes the game even better.. just knowing in a year, maybe two, it will be even better by quite a big margin, and aside from interface and content I can't start to figure out HOW modders will achieve it. ;)

Furthermore, I also avoid the main quest even though I look forward to all of it. I just totally avoid it and roleplay my character as a lone wanderer helping villages, staring over huge landscapes (especially when minecraft's on the other PC or I'm otherwise preoccupied ;) ). The moment you force yourself to roleplay a otherwise unexpected decision is where it also shines.

Also, play on maximum difficulty. Very tough, plenty of enemies are too powerful to kill, even at Level 10. I love that. Some kiting matches between several necromancers and me on the walls and structures of a ruined fort will be in my memory too, was a epic 20 minutes battle full of fireballs, other magicks and healing. Whenever i did that in Oblivion and FO3 my enemies were dead way too fast.

I dislike being all-powerful. Powerful is good, but I want to always have challenges come running at me and telling me who's boss in their cave or territory.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:43:29 pm by JCDNWarrior »
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Keep thinking about playing Oblivion with a new character, but the first thought that comes to mind is 'But then I'll have to do the 'follow the King through the Sewer' bit, which is interesting if you don't know the story, but simply tedious if you do. I do sort of wish you could choose to just pick your stats and go from outside the sewer if you are already familiar with the game.

Edit: Though, I will note, it was possible to get to level 100 Sneak in that first section just by getting a wall between you and the Goblin, just outside where it can see you, facing the wall, and auto-walking into the wall with sneak on. Go take a break for a while and, with luck, you'll gain tons of sneak levels ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:15:32 pm by Flipside »

Keep thinking about playing Oblivion with a new character, but the first thought that comes to mind is 'But then I'll have to do the 'follow the King through the Sewer' bit, which is interesting if you don't know the story, but simply tedious if you do. I do sort of wish you could choose to just pick your stats and go from outside the sewer if you are already familiar with the game.

There are saved games for the PC that are saved just as you are about to exit that tutorial cave.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

There are saved games for the PC that are saved just as you are about to exit that tutorial cave.

Hmmm.. I might look around and find one, thanks for the idea :)

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
there's plenty of other stuff for the pc version too. If you're going to play it, and you've got a video card that's less'n five years old and more'n half decent, go over to TESNexus (or a couple other sites - there's mirror links and stuff for the major ones) and get yourself Qarl's Texture Pack III, one (or more if you feel like mucking about) of the improved Res Facial Textures mods, and the Darnified UI mod, at the bare minimum.

I'd also recommend (parts of) the Unique Landscapes compilation mod, the Quest Award Leveller mod, the rebuilding Kvatch mod, the improved open cities mod (especially the imperial city and Leyyawin portions... so much better than vanilla), the RAEVWD Super-LOD mod, one of the (many) window mods, the improved book jackets mod, and the TNR npc unique faces mod. There's some seriously good stuff out there before you even get into the 'let's mod in the entirety of Vvardenfell' scale mods, stuff that'll pretty much fix most of the consolitis problems the game had on launch. You'll want to have OBMM or Wrye Bash to handle mod load order and suchlike if you go very far with that, though.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Add to that list some of my favorites...

"A takes all"
"Toggleable Quantity Prompt"
NGCD
Midas Magic
Mark & Recall
Advanced Alchemy
Bag of Holding
DEJ Harvest Flora
Is it Safe
Living Economy
Map Marker Overhaul
Ren Guard Overhaul
Zumbs Lockpicking
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
No love for the Race Balancing Project, the Magicka Mod by the same author nor Integration: The Stranded Light? I am disappoint. The lore friendly mods I could NEVER be without when I install Oblivion again.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

I got a few videos of a modded Oblivion myself, you can see linked in my signature. I agree with the suggestions made, there's quite a few amazing mods that do a lot to change things. Further improving and expanding landmass I suggest Elsweyr the Desert of Anequina, there's Immersive Interiors, there's more than I can mention. Go through the Top 100 (Non adult) list on TesNexus and you'll find most of these gems.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken