Author Topic: Freespace Music Remixes  (Read 265425 times)

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Re: Freespace Music Remixes
The mission G songs are mislabeled, they should be F. My fault, I think, since I mislabeled them in my request post and you probably went by the FS1 mission name originally.

I like what you've done with "G" 2, the softer lead works and I you've done something interesting with the drums that I can't quite describe. The cymbal at 0:12 seems out of place though.

Oops, yeah I did get the right song, correct? Hope so, cause all three parts are up.  Will get to some of the interface/briefings next. Also a cutscene to work on! :)

-
DW
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz

Mission F seems much more fitting too!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:14:43 pm by Danimal »

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
Nice!  :)
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Wow! It's great to hear these remixes. They put a fresh spin on the old tracks, and (just like the originals) sound awesome!

I would just like to say, apart from suiting the games very well and being great to listen to on its own, the music in the FreeSpace series has been a huge inspiration to me in my own music composition. I can safely say I wouldn't have put nearly as much investment into electronic/soundtrack music writing if it hadn't of been for the music you wrote. I've been working on a soundtrack for one of the mods here, in fact, and have also attempted a remake of the "March" soundtrack/set in FS1. (If you're interested in hearing any of it, I can PM you a link.)

So all in all... I can't thank you enough for the great music you have composed! I'll definitely be watching for more stuff on Soundcloud :)

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Yes, Mission 7/F was what I requested. Interesting departure from the original on battle 3, much spookier than the rather aggressive game themes. Not ambient-spooky though... honestly, if someone told me that it was a Bowser's Castle theme from a Mario game I'd believe them.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
Dan Wentz, I have a question: How do you do your reduxes? I'm just curious.  ;)
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Dan Wentz, I have a question: How do you do your reduxes? I'm just curious.  ;)

Hello, if you check the comments under each track I'm starting to fill in with what was used for each - though I haven't filled in some of the recent ones, partly because i forgot to, and partly because there's no sense in repeating most of the same stuff used.  I do not have any MIDI source for any of them, which is one reason why I tend to "invent" parts. That, to me, is part of the fun.

If you have more questions, feel free to drop me a message.

A new track, Freespace2 MainHall Beta is now up which make 19 total (counting my older tracks). Going to take a few days off and will start fresh next week. Have a great weekened all!

-
DW

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Thank you again!!
I am a revolutionary.

These remixes are great!  Many kudos to you for the FreeSpace 1 Main Menu remix - That one definitely recaptures and brings out the original theme to an entirely new level :D

I also agree with what others have said before - Revelation and m8_bttl would be great to hear remixed.

Can't wait until the next release comes out, keep up the great work  :yes:

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
You're very welcome. Freespace 2 Main Menu Remaster is up.
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/freespace2-main-hall-remaster

-
DW

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
The Freespace 2 menu redux is awesome! The beginning reminds of the 1984 Dune movie!  :yes: :yes:

Offline Qent

Sounds great! Any particular reason the spoken lines were changed?

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You're very welcome. Freespace 2 Main Menu Remaster is up.
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/freespace2-main-hall-remaster

-
DW

Is Stacie Hirsch's part a new recording or is it from an older version of the cutscene?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
Nice new remixes yay! I like the new take on the originals. One thing I do notice is the reduced dynamic range (too much compression) and some abrupt lead ins/outs of certain parts of tracks/instruments. In some ways I think it detracts from the feeling/atmosphere of the music :) Otherwise a nice welcome back from me since I have been away from this site for a while too!
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Nice new remixes yay! I like the new take on the originals. One thing I do notice is the reduced dynamic range (too much compression) and some abrupt lead ins/outs of certain parts of tracks/instruments. In some ways I think it detracts from the feeling/atmosphere of the music :) Otherwise a nice welcome back from me since I have been away from this site for a while too!

I completely agree. Please keep in mind, these are purely midi-driven files at this stage, not a single audio track bounced/rendered yet and I'm allowing a single day per song so I can get as many in as possible.

Before being delivered to HLP, the plan is to pile them all up then master each, which will probably take a week or two once the songs are all drafted - depending on how many I end up with.

Exodus is on deck.

-
DW

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can't say I'm a fan of the voice... it get's in the way of hearing some perfectly good music!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Interesting... Yeah, it was a last second decision which I thought it might provide a nice change from just that; constant music. When it's time to finish I can provide it to HLP both ways.

In other news, enter Exodus chapter 1

http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/freespace2-exodus-battle-1

-
DW

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I like the beginning vocals, in particular the choice of line from the game. It gives the song a context. That line from the intro cutscene always manages to make my spine tingle, a description of how surreal times were for the GTVA during FS2. The song is a little heavy in my opinion with the low brass, but it's a remix.

Is Stacie Hirsch's part a new recording or is it from an older version of the cutscene?

I'd like to know that too. Her voice sort of reminds me of the ancient cutscenes from FS1 without the processing.

[shameless]Do you have any interest in remixing m7_nrml1 or what I believe you call MissionF Normal 1?[/shameless] Just asking! :D

Edit: Exodus is awesome. I am grinning from ear to ear. Takes me back to the final portion of the game.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:57:11 pm by bigchunk1 »
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Sorry for the double post, but I made a remix sample for m7nrml1. It's a one instrument midi track, and I am not very experienced with making digital music.
http://soundcloud.com/bigchunk1/m7nrml1remix

Sound cloud is pretty nice.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Just listened to Exodus 1. Sinister, omnious and evil.

Oh, and epic. Perfectly fits lots of Shivans jumping in. And supernovas.

I'm sure that part 2 and 3 are going to be awesome as hell!

"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"