Author Topic: Freespace Music Remixes  (Read 265470 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Freespace Music Remixes
I always felt the NRML3 tracks never fit in with the first two tracks to begin with, as frankly - they rarely did. But then, the play order in FS1 made that not really noticable.

I do think the original M2 N3 track sounded more foreboding due to the additional (not to mention more vocal) percussion and... what would you call it? A synthetic choral voice at the commencement of the track?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The FS1 music system was different from FS2... you had verses, refrains, and NRML3 -- which was basically a musical bridge between the battle and the normal parts.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
m2_nrml3 fits pretty well with m2_bttl1,2,which if I may add are two brilliant tracks.

The first two parts of m2_nrml remind me of the training missions, particularly the one where you are introduced to the aspect seeking missile and the communications menu. m2_nrml3 was used for mission 2 where you fight the Vasudans in the asteroid field. It's also used as a briefing track. To me it was like, 'now that we've trained you it's time to send you into the fight'.

Edit: My bad, I just played mission 2 of freespace1. m2_nrml 1 and m2_nrml2 both play when you are not fighting Vasudans, but not m2_nrml3.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:00:37 am by bigchunk1 »
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Edit: My bad, I just played mission 2 of freespace1. m2_nrml 1 and m2_nrml2 both play when you are not fighting Vasudans, but not m2_nrml3.
M2_nrml3 does play.  But it only plays when transitioning from a mission event (such as a dogfight) back to the nrml1-nrml2 cycle.

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/freespace-mission2-battle-all

Very small changes to the rythym riffs... 6 total, see if you find them all.

-
DW

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
they sound awesome but i think they'd sound more complete with the bridging pieces especially M2_EARV_2. ring a bell?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Thanks. Ok, I'll eventally make a set with all parts; 4 arrivals cues, death, victory.

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
Freespace mission 2  battle all was quit good, I like the piano gave out that dramatic que, (If you know what I mean). :D
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'm so happy that my favorite tracks are being remade. I absolutely love the new take, especially the synth at the end. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I feel that the melody is a weak in the first half, but the second half is really solid sounding. Keep up the good work  :yes:

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• LOL! A wild derp appears!
  • The lurk god.
Hello, its amazing to meet the person that designed the original soundtrack for Freespace!!
I have a couple of requests, if its not to much. Can you remix the sound tracks, "Cinema 2" and the original Freespace 2 intro music?
Thanks!
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You know, Cinema2 is itself a remix of the intro track. :p

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• The lurk god.
You know, Cinema2 is itself a remix of the intro track. :p

I did not, hmm interesting
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hello, its amazing to meet the person that designed the original soundtrack for Freespace!!
I have a couple of requests, if its not to much. Can you remix the sound tracks, "Cinema 2" and the original Freespace 2 intro music?
Thanks!

Didn't he already do cinema2? Isn't that the credits music?

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Hi Dan.  :)

I'll try not to gush too much here, but I really enjoy your work; the Freespace games are a couple of my all-time favorites, in no small part due to your very memorable soundtrack. It's all excellent work, which makes it very hard to request any specific tracks for remixing. I will admit that I tend to like the FS1 arrangements more, although I may be in the minority here in that respect; FS1's music feels more immediate, aggressive, and action-driven, while FS2 is generally more ambient, orchestral, and laid-back, like it's removed from what the player's doing (although there are certainly some exceptions; FS2 Briefing 4 may very well be my favorite track of the entire series, but I see you've already done that one  :P).

Here are some of my faves; these aren't the only ones, but there are some, like FS1 mainhall, that you've already redone. Forgive me if I don't use proper trackname nomenclature, but I don't have the soundtrack on tap like some of our regs do, so I've been prowling Youtube to jog my memory.

- Good ol' FS1 Briefing 1. This one recurs a lot throughout the game, and a slightly different version also plays at the end of Silent Threat, Mission 3. It's probably the single piece of music that I most strongly associate with the entire game, the sort that you find yourself humming long after you stop listening to it.

- FS1 "Chaser Ambience". A very atmospheric "space" track that gives you a sense of how empty and awe-inspiring the void is, and the sinister bit at the end makes for a nice bridge to a battle.

- FS1 "Chaser". This and the "March" battle theme are a couple of the tunes from the game that I remember best, the kind that really get your blood pumping in a dogfight.

- FS1 "Strike". This is a fun one, but the reason I remember it so well is probably because it plays non-stop during FS1 Mission 28, when you're chasing down the Lucifer, and seems very fitting.  :P

- FS2 Ending, Part I. This is a very powerful, eerie piece of music. I'm not a huge fan of vocal pieces, but I like this one, as well as the segue to the more dynamic "supernova" part (which sounds very familiar, but I can't place where else in the game it takes its cues from). I've loaded the cutscene many times simply to hear the music play.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:14:20 pm by Antares »
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• The lurk god.
Thanks!

Didn't he already do cinema2? Isn't that the credits music?

Yes, I just found that out. My bad.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The reason FS1 seems more immersive music-wise is IIRC that its tracks change based on certain mission events.. FS2 does this to a very, very limited extend (basically just gives a few different announcement pieces when enemies or friendlies warp in)... FS1 actually has the capability of cycling through three different "normal" tracks, depending on whether all three were created for it and depending on mission events.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The reason FS1 seems more immersive music-wise is IIRC that its tracks change based on certain mission events.. FS2 does this to a very, very limited extend (basically just gives a few different announcement pieces when enemies or friendlies warp in)... FS1 actually has the capability of cycling through three different "normal" tracks, depending on whether all three were created for it and depending on mission events.

I don't know how they were employed exactly, but FreeSpace 2 music tracks also have three components, in addition to their ambient and friendly/enemy arrival stings.

Offline Qent

Strange. I'd read that FS2 played different battle music based on the pace of the action, whereas FS1 just looped through.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You're both describing the same thing using different language.