Author Topic: Freespace Music Remixes  (Read 265454 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Freespace Music Remixes
Wow, these are really good. Been listening on loop while writing all morning.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hold on...what exactly is this? A real performance instead of a midi file or something, which renders the quality far better and more realistic?

Good question. These are complete overhauls from scratch using MIDI triggered software instruments. I'm using 4-5 plugins for each song. I start with the Roland TSS-1 which emulates the original Roland Sound Canvas, so I get the retro percussion (If I want to keep it some cases) but all the instruments are done using a variety of (Eastwest/Native Instruments) plugins that employ either streaming samples or software synths. See attachment.

The keyboard controller I'm using to play each part is the Korg Microkey, and this is all done on a XPS 17 laptop.

One major advantage of doing it this way, no audio-only tracks, is that when I render the collective MIDI to an audio mixdown, I can choose what sample rate bit depth I want. I can also change any instrument, note, controller, etc. while keeping the rest of the mix untouched. For the game renders (what will eventually end up in the game) I'm using 16bit 44k renders, but I could render them as high as 32bit 96k; Although it doesn't make much sense to render at resolutions above those used in the streaming samples.

-
DW

Kontakt, Absynth and Battery... Heh, my three favourite VSynths alongside Omnisphere and some of the Rob Papen stuff.

Battery, in particular, is probably one of the best synths for Drums I've used, because it's so easy to just drag and drop audio into a note and create your own kits :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hold on...what exactly is this? A real performance instead of a midi file or something, which renders the quality far better and more realistic?

Good question...
<snip>

[lvlshot]http://i41.tinypic.com/2eb4qrn.png[/lvlshot]    http://i41.tinypic.com/2eb4qrn.png

...For when the attachment ninja comes around.  ;)

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
>Just found the Slaying Ravana briefing/FS2 Credits remaster

Oh god, that's fantastic.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just a quick question, Dan, was the music for the cutscenes your work, or did someone else handle that?

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Just a quick question, Dan, was the music for the cutscenes your work, or did someone else handle that?

For some of the key cutscenes in the original Freespace - most notably the intro, boarding the disabled Shivan craft and the ending - those wonderful works were Steven von Kampen, a hired composer/sound designer from Noiz Audio - He wrote the music, did most of the sound design and I provided direction and filled in some spots where needed. I believe he still works at Rock Star Games in Ca. It was a great experience collaborating with him, we had a lot of fun working together and I still keep in touch with him to this day. I then had the opportunity to fly solo on FS2.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback! Mission 6 normals are up. 3 more to go! I leave for a short vacation this week so I'll be taking a bit of a breather to finish up soon.
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/freespace-mission-6-marauder

-
DW
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:43:29 pm by Danimal »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You did a fantastic job on FreeSpace 2. The music and audio design in the cutscenes is phenomenal, particularly the outro.

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
I think the end bit of the end bit of worlds apart (where the flute thing comes in) could be a bit longer. I thought it was a shame in the original as well, it just seems to cut short at the end. And itś one of the, if not the, most beautifull parts of your entire FS soundtrack.

Thanks, I'll consider extending it a bit - that's a Bassoon. I recall getting requests from the team, back in the day, to try to include some woodwinds, and that track was the result.  Sometimes composers, like me, love string and brass a little too much?

But it serves as a good example why feedback and collaborating ideas is always a good idea. I'm sure its rare appearance is one of the reasons it stands out from the rest.

-
DW

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
An electric guitarFS2 menu would be amazing. Don't suppose there's software to generate tabulature for it?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think the end bit of the end bit of worlds apart (where the flute thing comes in) could be a bit longer. I thought it was a shame in the original as well, it just seems to cut short at the end. And itś one of the, if not the, most beautifull parts of your entire FS soundtrack.

Thanks, I'll consider extending it a bit - that's a Bassoon. I recall getting requests from the team, back in the day, to try to include some woodwinds, and that track was the result.  Sometimes composers, like me, love string and brass a little too much?

But it serves as a good example why feedback and collaborating ideas is always a good idea. I'm sure its rare appearance is one of the reasons it stands out from the rest.

-
DW

The trend at the moment tends to be towards the Duduk, mostly bought about by things like BSG and the Sci-Fi Channels' Dune series. Nice to see the more 'traditional' (from a Western perspective) woodwinds being used.

Enjoy your break :)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One of my favorite tracks! I'm enjoying it.

One question though, isn't Mission 6 supposed to be 'Haunted' and Mission 7 'Marauder'? Or do I have my names mixed up?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

The Revelation tracks are my favorites out of all FS2.

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
One of my favorite tracks! I'm enjoying it.

One question though, isn't Mission 6 supposed to be 'Haunted' and Mission 7 'Marauder'? Or do I have my names mixed up?

You are correct, updated track names. Battles are up now. I will be back on Monday to finish up missions 7 - 9, and anything missing from 10. Also, I sent Ian a message today, all tracks for missions 1-6 are completed with the new music table entries, so it shouldn't be too long before this gets in the game.

Eventually, I'll make them all downloadable too.

-
DW

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
I have two questions.

You said that you have tabled the music entries, have you included all the stings and the victory tracks for these songs? Have you played any of the usermade campaigns that have been made?

That being said I think Haunted was very well done. I can't wait for Strike!
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
I have two questions.

You said that you have tabled the music entries, have you included all the stings and the victory tracks for these songs? Have you played any of the usermade campaigns that have been made?

That being said I think Haunted was very well done. I can't wait for Strike!

Thanks!

Yes. So far, including some extras and alternates, there are 71 tracks in the pipeline for the first six missions. Someday I hope to try them, which ones would you recommend?

-
DW

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Well, I would recommend firstly Blue Planet (Pretty much everyone's default around here) and Derelict. If you're willing to try something that's not related to FreeSpace in any way and are okay with an anime style mod, I would also try Wings of Dawn.

Oh! I had another question. About Marauder, since it and some song from FS2 (name escapes my head) have essentially the same battle track, are you going to reuse it for your music table?
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Vassago's Dirge uses classical music as a soundtrack which you might find interesting.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, I would recommend Derelict.

I would also recommend refraining from doing horrible things to yourself every time you hear my voice. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
The Revelation tracks are my favorites out of all FS2.
Mine, too. I always thought they fit "Love The Treason..." especially beautifully. For me, they just perfectly captured the everything-I-thought-I-knew-about-this-mission-is-wrong feel, especially the three battle tracks.

Ditto for Numbers and "Mystery of the Trinity". The ambient track captures the spookiness of exploring uncharted territory while flying blind, and the enemy arrival track and battle tracks capture the feeling of unseen enemies approaching from out of nowhere.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If you're going to play a campaign I think you should do Vassago's Dirge first - set in a timeline you're familiar with, short, and does loads of interesting things with music.

Blue Planet and Derelict are also good entries.