Author Topic: Freespace Music Remixes  (Read 265457 times)

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Re: Freespace Music Remixes
Guys, it's been a pleasure, believe me.  Just a few things to tie up and this remastering project should be finished. From my understanding, it's being integrated into the pipeline and tested shortly - There will be a few things to touch up as well.

I think the most rewarding part of this has been hearing feedback from everyone, reconnecting with some old friends and even former work mates along the way. I only wish I did this sooner.

On a side note... it's hard to believe that I'll be back home in just under two weeks.

-
DW

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Are you planning to remix Cinema 1?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:38:28 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kolgena

Guys, it's been a pleasure, believe me.  Just a few things to tie up and this remastering project should be finished.

waitwaitwait. We're to expect a complete hi-fi version of game music for the mediavps?

Guys, it's been a pleasure, believe me.  Just a few things to tie up and this remastering project should be finished.

waitwaitwait. We're to expect a complete hi-fi version of game music for the mediavps?

DIOS MIO

If this is true I've got a date with my download manager

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Possibly the best remix yet. :yes:

Also just occurred to me that longer versions of maybe the first or second part of that would make a totally kickass mainhall track...

Offline Kolgena

+1 completely flawless.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/freespace2-ending-score

-
DW

I didn't think you were going to do this! It's not only my favourite piece of FS related music it's probably my favourite piece of music from any video game. You've made me very happy today!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wow!  That is awesome!!!  I found myself mentally adding all the sound effects from the FS2 ending cutscene. :D

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
An absolutely rocking track - very well done!!!  :D

And now if I may, I have a question that's been "bugging me" ever since I 1st finished the game - the choir, what words are they singing?  Is it "Agnes Dei, Why? Why? Why?"

And on a slight tangent, I love the way that the credits music (which is theme & variations on the intro music?) and this track both have the words Agnes Dei in it, to me it links the beginning and the end of FS2 together in a way that I can't quite explain but that I've always loved (maybe it's representing new hope that turns to confusion as the GTVA realises just how much they don't understand the Shivans?) -  thank you so much for such a wonderful soundtrack!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Ah, this is one of the two music tracks that still send shivers down my spine every single time I hear it (the other one being the FS1 intro... and no, I'm not just counting FS music here). And it has gotten even better now :yes:
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Hell yes. Thank you, Dan. That was beautiful.

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
An absolutely rocking track - very well done!!!  :D

And now if I may, I have a question that's been "bugging me" ever since I 1st finished the game - the choir, what words are they singing?  Is it "Agnes Dei, Why? Why? Why?"

And on a slight tangent, I love the way that the credits music (which is theme & variations on the intro music?) and this track both have the words Agnes Dei in it, to me it links the beginning and the end of FS2 together in a way that I can't quite explain but that I've always loved (maybe it's representing new hope that turns to confusion as the GTVA realises just how much they don't understand the Shivans?) -  thank you so much for such a wonderful soundtrack!

Thank you guys; it's one of my personal favorites too. I'm glad you asked me that...

I could say - Lamb of God, they were being sacrificed, etc... But the simple answer is I used that because it (the voices, mood, cadences) fit and more importantly sounded cool (to me anyways).  Sometimes the most innocent things become extremely evil when given the right context, and I really wanted to explore that phenomenon a lot in this game.

I do have a story to share about that score... 

I came in on a weekend to finish that particular cutscene and I remember it very well.  While I was in the middle of working on the opening, Mike Kulas stopped what he was doing and came by my office only to give me a grin of approval, and prop my door wide open... I presume so he and (I believe Philip Holt) could hear me better, my guess is they were in the gameroom which was just down the hall from me at the time.  That *sign of approval* actually got me even more inspired. Because, right after that, I worked out the climax.

-
DW

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have been following your progress on this regularly. I love the Ancients tracks in particular, and FS1 mission 8 has been another sought-after set that is missing from our music archive. However, Ancients 1 and 5 sound very different from the ones that actually appear in the cutscenes. They're very good, but don't seem to have been used in the game.

The FS2 ending track is a wonderful piece of music, but the remix sounds identical to the original to me. Am I missing something?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The FS2 ending track is a wonderful piece of music, but the remix sounds identical to the original to me.

You don't mess with perfection. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

"From our odyssey into Hell, we have returned with a gift. The Ancient technology to build a portal between Delta Serpentis and Sol. To restore the link to our blue planet. To return home after all these years.

This is Admiral Petrach, signing off. "

Gave me shivers down my spine

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
I love those choiral, (If that is a word) voices in the beginning. It makes the Shivans feel even more ancient and unknown.  :yes: :yes:
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The FS2 ending track is a wonderful piece of music, but the remix sounds identical to the original to me.

You don't mess with perfection. :D

Can't argue with that, but we already have the high quality version of this piece in the existing music archive. :p

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
Regarding the ending remaster; there are some subtle differences, for one, the strings are deeper and more vibrant which you should notice if you compare the two tracks. But I didn't want to change a single note.

Speaking of ancients, the new mixes with voice are up on my YT page. Clarissa did an excellent job! 

http://www.youtube.com/danwentz

-
DW