Author Topic: Dimensional Eclipse Discussion Thread (original release thread)  (Read 153177 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: RELEASE: 次元のエクリプス - Dimensional Eclipse
Flying backwards or sideways is quite important to my tactics (especially for nailing Illiriums), and I don't have TrackIR to easily look around (my finger is often on something else rather than the POV HAT).

Offline qwadtep

I reassigned my POV hat to lateral thrusters and never once got hit by debris. I do think it's a situational awareness thing.

I assigned my POV hat to shield distribution o_o ... and my other hat to targeting ... and my throttle hat to lateral thrusting (yay hotas in FS2, because overkill is the best kill!  Too bad it's utter hackery to get it to work right if not in Windows); I guess I'm just lucky I haven't flown into debris >.>

Speaking of shield distribution, I noticed something ... odd: the little shield quadrants on the HUD don't correspond with the actual shield quadrants of the ship (using build 8688 anyways).  For instance, the right quadrant on the HUD actually shows the status of the AFT shield quadrant.  I rebound the shield distro buttons so the direction to press matches the side taking damage, but it's still odd :/

(p.s. is it possible in the FS engine to have a little marker/arrow/something corresponding with your ship's velocity vector, like the indicator in Allegiance?  I imagine that would help people adapt to gliding/sidethrusting everywhere ...)

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
The shield thingy is how the engine renders shield for 3D models or something...WoD suffers from this too.

Well, enjoy all your non-H4X fancy laterals and gliding with Blizzards and other not-so-slow fighters :P

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Speaking of shield distribution, I noticed something ... odd: the little shield quadrants on the HUD don't correspond with the actual shield quadrants of the ship (using build 8688 anyways).  For instance, the right quadrant on the HUD actually shows the status of the AFT shield quadrant.  I rebound the shield distro buttons so the direction to press matches the side taking damage, but it's still odd :/

This is a known bug. The SCP is working on it.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

thanks for the link mate :-)

although i am rather dissapointed that they don't seem to sell MP3 versions online or something :-(

i ain't got no way of ordering the CD XD can't read japanese and google translator can only do so much...

ah well, anyways

superb mod, really enjoyed it... say, i am curious... are you planning on making a sequel? i mean the exarchy threat is far from being over and all...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Planning? Yes. What will become of it, remains to be seen. Don't hold your breath. :P
I'm going to wait a bit for a bunch of cool new SCP features and stuff to abuse before starting working on anything, at the very least.

Right now I just want to enjoy my summer~
(and catch up on a ton of anime I didn't watch because of homework!!)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
I finally got around to playing this.

Spoiler:
I really don't have much to say about the plot... (to be honest I didn't really understand it that well... I was at least able to figure out what I was supposed to shoot at though). However the FREDding and other modding work are commendable. You have given me many ideas in regards to technical implementation for my projects, and I think I will be using the missions in this campaign as guidelines for examples of how to make the engine achieve certain things. So thank you for that.

Hmm... what else to say.

Oh yes, I liked how you used many released assets/models by the community and repurposed them to make them fit naturally into a new setting. At first I didn't even realize those were Karunas/Narayanas. Of course that could simply be due to my being unobservant.

The difficulty was rather steep, but manageable. However in several missions I encountered a bug where the music would start to stutter, the screen would go blank, and a "rearming and repairing" message would constantly repeat, forcing me to restart the mission. After playing it over several times I would get past it, though.

The music was decent, but I have to say inferior compared to the music of BP and WoD. I'm sorry.

Overall this campaign was an enjoyable experience. The technical skill put into it was very impressive. In that area I can tell you are an expert.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Dimensional Eclipse Review
What I didn't liked:
I'll start with something that has already been said before by others. It's a shame that it was decided to go along with andrew's dumb idea to have a bait and switch initial approach. Especially combined with the earlier "gold star worthy" mess of april fool day announcements. This just resulted in unnecessary confusion that helped nobody.
What was also puzzling to me is that you decided to just randomly throw this campaign out in the public, not informing me and asking me to beta test/test play before hand. Alas, it is what it is.

I'm personally not big on the semi newtonian, high speed and autoaim approach. Because it results mostly in aiming in the general direction of the target and just spray and pray. A lot of the basic Freespace aiming skills are instantly thrown out of the window because of it. You'll also rarely actually see what enemy fighter you are gunning for because the distances tend to be a lot higher. Hyperspace is something I have even less love for. Aside from it being a buggy nightmare, it also results in ships and fighters seemingly just appearing and disappearing in a blink of an eye. There's hardly any visual effect (aside from fighter trails) to indicate a ship has departed or arrived. In a game where situational awareness is often key (and not always easy to maintain) I simply dislike having fighters joining the fight in a snap, with no sound or visual effect.

My last point of criticism is that loliquest instantly throws such a boatload of different type of ships and weapons at you, that its kinda hard to grasp what does what, who goes where, and who serves what. There's a nice amount of well written :words: available in the techroom but it's not immediately clear whats going on if you're just playing through the campaign.

What I liked:
There's a lot to like about loliquest 次元のエクリプス. It has fun mission design with you getting catapulted into a battlefield, or jumping around on a large scale engagement and calling in long range subspace missiles on targets that matter. An 'autoloader' system which allows you to swap a secondary weapon bank with something that the mission requires on the fly. And overall the player is an important part of every mission. You'll get to fly super fighters and rip and tear through enemy fighter waves and capital ships. DE often fills your screen with explosions, gun&laser fire and missile trails, making an average mission pretty intense in the visual department. Fun stuff. I also liked the 'mini hub', in which you could decide to fly some missions for the commonwealth or to just skip the whole chapter completely and get on with the main story. Definitely a better choice than that whiplash of bad comedy that is the wacky alternative path of chapter 2.
I thought that using the command briefings as a visual novel kind of experience was rather clever too. And I really liked the music choice, the music all played at the right time, setting the right mood for the occasion.

Overal DE is a good example of what one can do with a good sense of game design, FRED knoweldge and using existing assets (and a few that were handmade for the campaign). A campaign I could recommend to everyone (though with the sidenote that its heavy on the animu, which I know from experience is not everyone's cup of tea)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Droid803

Thanks for the reviews~!

Yeah, in hindsight that PR mess wasn't really worth the roughly forty seven and a half seconds of mad chuckling followed by rather intense side pains. It was fun (on my end), but I'm never doing it again.
(´・ω・`)

Hey I'm considering a replay of the campaign, my original playthrough probably had me missing about half the questions on the test in the beginning so what kind of things should I look out for if I was to replay through with a perfect test score?

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
Hey I'm considering a replay of the campaign, my original playthrough probably had me missing about half the questions on the test in the beginning so what kind of things should I look out for if I was to replay through with a perfect test score?

Confusion and difficult battles

Offline Droid803

Confusion and difficult battles

I don't see which mission in the alternate arc that applies to. Confusion, only if you can't take a joke, I guess.
Difficult? The missions either straightforward or self-playing, actually. That applies more to the regular arc, if anything at all. Stuff there is actually difficult...
(´・ω・`)

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
It took me several tries to defeat the enclosure ring weapon.

It took me several tries to defeat the enclosure ring weapon.

how do I defeat this?  I instantly die 1-2 seconds once it spawns around me everytime

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
Use lateral thrust and maneuver to dodge the side projectiles and don't get in the way of the main guns. Fire towards the reactor in the center when its guns are on a cooldown cycle.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
So, I've been playing through this tha past few days, and it's pretty awesome. My initial reactions:

YAY someone used my ships in a campaign! :D :D :D

Spoiler:
What the hell happened to Earth? Are we even AT Earth?

OH GOD I CAN'T PWN THE GENERATORS ON THE AMATERASUUUUUUUUUU~~~~~~~ (apparently tildes are Japanese, whodathunkit)

The reason I'm posting now, and not later with many :words:, is actually the aforementioned problem. I'm going through the trench run and into the hangar bays, right up to the generators, and I can't damage them at all. I KNOW my missiles are hitting them, since I checked their radii in PCS2. I'll look into it a bit more tomorrow if I get the chance.

Anyway, the campaign's awesome, and I absolutely love some of the unique gameplay. (I hypothesize that the 'Summer 2010 trinity' as battutattutattuta calls it, of WiH, WoD and VD, has ushered in a new era of awesome and creative mission design... I've seen their influence in both the Antagonist and Loliquest so far)

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Well, keep on firing then. :P

Offline qwadtep

The generators are... weird. Missiles seem to go off-course for some reason. Hit them with primaries.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also, be sure to target the actual models, not subsystems on Amaterasu. They're represented as separate "ships", for technical reasons.