Author Topic: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil!  (Read 69800 times)

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil!
Dibs as away team pointman!
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
I would totally be up for an LP of that.  Dibs on the helm.

* Scotty is A1-supar pilot, as the X-COM LPs no doubt prove.

Right, helm controls are a must.  Under normal circumstances, you will want a crewmember at the bridge, one at weapons, one on shield, and one on the engines.  You can manage to get a full complement of 8 crewmembers rather early on, and given some reasonably competent play you shouldn't ever lose a crewmember barring the most chaotic of circumstances.  With a large crew, repairs and hand-to-hand combat becomes easier, and sending over boarding parties via teleporter is an option.

I could totally see a hostile boarding party causing deaths if the crew is composed mostly of races that are poor at combat, however.  But I've noticed LPers tend to be too eager to sell that anti-personnel drone when they have a crew like that, and flushing enemies out the airlock while they try in vain to get through the fully-upgraded blast doors is always fun...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:32:14 pm by Alex Heartnet »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Bridge, preferably, engines second choice.

* Scotty bides his time, now, waiting until he can say "I'm givin' her all she's got, Cap'n!"

I'll take weapons so I can fire the totally useless SpardaSon21 Barrage. :D
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Now I have 2 requests for bridge and 2 requests for weapons.  How about you guys wait until I actually post the thread?

But I guess it's decided that I am doing an FTL Let's Play next.  From looking at the Let's Plays already out there and watching a experienced player do it, I kinda have the feeling that might do really well.  Naturally this is the sort of game that evokes 'why didn't you do this instead' from players, but I doubt many people would say things like 'Just assume there's a fire in that empty compartment that just got hit and that you can't see into, and open it up to space to starve out the fire' or 'Shooting out the bridge will also keep their FTL drive from charging, and it is considerably more vulnerable then the engines'.

So Goldfinger, you expect us to wait? :P
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hm....never heard of FTL. Looks interesting.

Kinda like Artremis Spaceship Bridge Simulator..only not a LAN game, but a single-player game.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
So Goldfinger, you expect us to wait? :P

No Mr. Blond, I expect you to explosively decompress...in space!

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
I would like to get in on the ground floor of this. Which of the races in that game is most similar to Cardassians?

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
I would like to get in on the ground floor of this. Which of the races in that game is most similar to Cardassians?

The Mantis immediately come to mind.  They are an insectoid race that are warlike and good at hand-to-hand combat, but their limbs are not well adapted to repairing damaged starships.  Since they are so bad at repairing stuff, they often kidnap members of other races to do their repairs for them.  Teleporter systems come standard on their ships so they can board other ships.  Encounters with Mantis ships are usually hostile, however it's also possible to get one as a crew member.

There's a pretty good chance that I will be able to pick up at least one Mantis crewmember at some point.  In fact, some ships start out with one.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:07:21 am by Alex Heartnet »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What races are there anyway? Is there some kind of wiki or info?
For other people I mean.

My first choice is ALWAYS human. I'm boring like that.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
We are reptilian, not insectoid. Do these Mantis at least have a strong appreciation for order and service to the state?

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
We are reptilian, not insectoid. Do these Mantis at least have a strong appreciation for order and service to the state?
There actually aren't any reptilian races currently.

Saying that they have a strong appreciation for order would actually be an understatement.  In fact, they can't grasp the concept of the 'individual'.

What races are there anyway? Is there some kind of wiki or info?
For other people I mean.

My first choice is ALWAYS human. I'm boring like that.

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Races

Humans can actually be quite useful when things get chaotic and people aren't able to stick to their assigned roles.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:42:42 am by Alex Heartnet »

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
I'm not playing as a Borg

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft

The Engi are much closer to the cybernetic aspect of the Borg, but they tend to be pretty peaceful.  I could make you a Rockman instead if you would like?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Huamns are the best. Everoyne knows that.

Stick me in as chief of security, marine or whatever. Any role will do.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!

The Engi are much closer to the cybernetic aspect of the Borg, but they tend to be pretty peaceful.  I could make you a Rockman instead if you would like?

I suppose.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
fight evil, in space?   :confused:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
fight evil, in space?   :confused:
More just trying to survive in space in a universe gone horribly wrong, while running from a hostile fleet.

Roguelikes tend to not give the player moral choices, as the difficulty is such that the player will invariably choose whatever option benefits him the most.

This also makes being evil rather easy within a roguelike.  You can expect me to do stuff like blowing up the enemy ship that just surrendered because I felt the resources the ship offered me was not good enough, and I can get more resources from destroying it outright (and possibly get less resources if I make a poor decision)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:34:50 am by Alex Heartnet »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Still slots open?

I would go for an Engi engineer if I possible ... Cybernetics FTW! (Screw you baseline humans!)

EDIT: In a trailer for FTL I saw a ship type called "Shivan" (and its all red on black) can we get one of those??
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:56:23 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."