Poll

How much would you contribute towards a Kickstarter aimed at acquiring the FreeSpace licence from Interplay?

< $10
14 (20.9%)
$10 - $100
38 (56.7%)
$100 - $250
7 (10.4%)
$250 - $500
5 (7.5%)
$500 - $1000
1 (1.5%)
$1000 - $10k
0 (0%)
$10k+
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?  (Read 33127 times)

Re: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?
How does Kickstarter handle things like this?

If the target amount of money is reached, and all the backers are charged, but you still fail to make the purchase, or if you get it for less than was received, what do you do with all the money? Does Kickstarter allow you to refund all the backers if necessary?

Who would be in charge of setting it all up anyway?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

If the target amount of money is reached, and all the backers are charged, but you still fail to make the purchase, or if you get it for less than was received, what do you do with all the money? Does Kickstarter allow you to refund all the backers if necessary?

I've already gotten in touch with KickStarter about the viability of this type of project (raising money for an IP purchase) and am awaiting to hear back from them. If they give a tentative go-ahead, then we'd need to contact Interplay and see where they stand - before actually starting the Kickstarter. Also, it has to be started by someone who is a US resident, so I'm out. :-/
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
at this rate we'll never reach page 3.
looks like i stand corrected. kind of.
Spoiler:
i've set mine to 50 posts a page. :snipe:
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline wuu

What I know is that you need a credit card and it will be charged when the kickstarter ends and reached the desired amount xxx money.
If it fails nothing will be charged.
The other thing I believe is you need an actual company that is based in the US to start a kickstarter not sure about this part !
Der Freigeist

What I know is that you need a credit card and it will be charged when the kickstarter ends and reached the desired amount xxx money.

I knew that, I was wondering what would happen if the Kickstarter succeeds, but the thing it was for (buying an IP) fails and all that money doesn't actually go where it was supposed to. Hopefully Sandwich will get an answer about that, for curiosity's sake.

Offline wuu

I knew that, I was wondering what would happen if the Kickstarter succeeds, but the thing it was for (buying an IP) fails and all that money doesn't actually go where it was supposed to. Hopefully Sandwich will get an answer about that, for curiosity's sake.

Sorry about that I misread some part of it.
Der Freigeist

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

The simplest answer would be to arrive at a written agreement with Interplay beforehand, where they agree to sell the IP for $XYZ if we can raise that sum by a certain date. If we don't manage to raise the sum via the kickstarter, then no cards are charged and nothing happens besides the media attention it might have garnered. If we do raise the sum, Interplay would be legally obligated to sell the IP. We could hire a lawyer to pound out said agreement if there's no lawyers among the community willing to contribute.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The poll in this thread is not very likely to be useful.  When push comes to shove, what people say they'll donate and what they actually will donate are two different things.  For example, see the Mjn.Mixael Makes Characters thread.  According to the poll, we should have raised $452; in fact it took several weeks for us to even raise $325.  That's only a 72% coverage ratio, or 64% if we exclude the $100 outlier.  (And 51 people who voted in the poll didn't even offer to contribute so much as $1.)

The best way to find out if a Kickstarter project will succeed is to actually make a Kickstarter project. :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:43:16 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
so we would need someone to set up the kickstarter, preferably with buisness experience. someone with contract writing experience to deal with all the legalese. and probibly some people to make all the phone calls negotiating a deal with interplay/volition/thq/whoever else. the kickstarter goal should cover all the expenses needed to pull it off as well. and assuming a us buisness license is needed you will probibly have to deal with payroll/taxes/whatever else just to make it all legit. catch is you have to do all that before you have the funding! have fun with that. at this point we dont even know how much were kicking for.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:45:20 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• LOL! A wild derp appears!
  • The lurk god.
So you guys are actually going to do this? Please respond, the derp is very curious and maybe exited! :P
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i sure as hell aint. after all, you dont want to leave something like this in the hands of a raving misanthropic anti-social psychopath who cant finish a project if his life depended on it and would probibly take all the money and run to mexico, spending it on dope, tequila and whores for the remainder of the liver, if he was handed the check. nah you want someone like an american dekker who can charm people into doing what we want them to do.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:58:10 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The simplest answer would be to arrive at a written agreement with Interplay beforehand, where they agree to sell the IP for $XYZ if we can raise that sum by a certain date.

I think we should also check if :v: would be willing to develop the game should a kickstarter actually succeed. We've just been assuming that they would and that's a pretty enormous assumption.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Shouldn't a project like this be initiated out of :v: own volition?

We should get into contact with them and find out if they really care about such an endeavor enough to consider it, the legal limbo things have to go through is scary enough.

Plus there's no guarantee they'll even make FS3, they might end up with the license in an office box and not use it because their current publisher does not want to green light such a project.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
here's the HUGE problem i see with this (and most kickstarter ideas for that matter):

assume all that is outlined above gets done.  we even meet the kickstarter goal.  huzzah.  now, who else is going to buy it?  good luck getting :V: to develop something just on the break even promise.
I like to stare at the sun.

Shouldn't a project like this be initiated out of :v: own volition?

I see what you did there  :nod:

As an alternative to hoping  :v: would develop it on their own time (or convince THQ to sponsor it), is to just figure out who wrote FS 1 and 2, and contract them to write FS3. We (ie. you all) could do the actual production. The skill definitely exists here, especially if you were able to kickstart some funds to actually pay the coders and artists.

And then, having the rights to the IP, using all new assets, and with a :v:-made story, you could actually release it.

If any of this ever got past the wishful-thinking stage at least.

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• The lurk god.
This is promising, got all the famous people on a role, and an Fs3 topic reached over 5, FIVE pages.  :P
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Don't start daydreaming about it until we talked to Volition, trust me, it prevents massive disappointment.

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• The lurk god.
Don't start daydreaming about it until we talked to Volition, trust me, it prevents massive disappointment.
Don't worry, If they don't... thats fine with me. We've got an awesome community, with awesome mods, and some very cool people!  :nod:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The other thing we could do is just buy the license for ourselves and start selling all of our mods. :D

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
excuse me, i suddenly have a lot of downloading to do.
 :warp:
I like to stare at the sun.