Poll

How much would you contribute towards a Kickstarter aimed at acquiring the FreeSpace licence from Interplay?

< $10
14 (20.9%)
$10 - $100
38 (56.7%)
$100 - $250
7 (10.4%)
$250 - $500
5 (7.5%)
$500 - $1000
1 (1.5%)
$1000 - $10k
0 (0%)
$10k+
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?  (Read 33109 times)

Offline Seraph

• Shivan Pilot, designation: Seraph
Re: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

Has anyone had the same idea as me to make a freespace mod server for star-citizen?

Yay? Nay?
Shivan1: Want to hear a joke?

Shivan2: Sure.

Shivan1: The GTVA Colossus.

Shivans 1+2: Hahahahahah!

Planescape Torment is getting a sequel now: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

This is ridiculous. So many beloved '90s franchises are being revived. Why should FreeSpace deserve any less?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Planescape Torment is getting a sequel now: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

This is ridiculous. So many beloved '90s franchises are being revived. Why should FreeSpace deserve any less?

Bit of a necro there

There defiantly deserves to be another game in the FS franchise IMHO though some here would disagree with that on a number of grounds.  The thing is that the situation is a legal mess with a certain degree of the rights held by Interplay (who wont play ball on selling the rights from what we can tell) and :v: owned by THQ (another publisher) and being one of its most successful brands they wont be be relinquishing :v: any time soon.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Except THQ's probably going to get broken-up and sold-off at this point.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

in that case :v: will probably be sold off to EA or someone like that                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

[img]

Why not? We'd have Freespace published every year like Battlefield.
Let's be optimistic for once. :P
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You call that optimistic ? The best thing that could happen to Freespace is that it never gets published anymore, ever. EA or otherwise.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
In all seriousness (which BengalTiger wasn't being), I concur with BengalTiger to a point.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
I personally would not want to see an official conclusion to the FreeSpace narrative. It would immediately invalidate all the SCP team's hard work and the storylines of every single post-capella mod.

As far as I'm concerned, FSO and FS3 are one and the same.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:17:56 pm by Apollo »
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

I personally would not want to see an official conclusion to the FreeSpace narrative. It would immediately invalidate all the SCP team's hard work and the storylines of every single post-capella mod.
Let's just save us all a lot of trouble, and say that this can only happen if any individual decides it's so for them. It is not automatic. None of the post FS1 campaigns were invalidated by FS2, same would be for a hypothetical FS3. It might make it awkward, but wouldn't "invalidate" any mods or campaigns. This has been suggested many times before on this subject.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
It's been discussed to death, and the short answer is, "only if you let it."

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Probably because we never died.  :nervous:

Seriously, mods like BluePlanet, Wings of Dawn, The Antagonist... These aren't good enough? Even on an engine that packs more features then some big-name games, and includes everything you need to make your own including a helpful community that can assist you and maybe even add features to the engine for you?

Not to mention, being OpenSource is one of FreeSpace's strongest assets. If a new game was made, it would eventually be outdated. No longer enough. FSO can continue to grow, out lasting and becoming stronger then any closed-source engine given enough time.

In my opinion, we do not need a sequel. As it stands, we can make our own ending, which is more then can be said for most games these days. And if what someone makes an "ending" you don't like? Well, it's just a mod, right? Find one you like more. ;)
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
No. The only answer is "we don't need any of that ****". We don't need any new official Freespace release. Ever. End of discussion, please evacuate the thread.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
What about, instead of another sequel, they made a genuine attempt at a reboot? It could suck, or it could be good like the new XCOM Enemy Unknown (not exactly the best comparison, I know). Just trying to think outside the box a little. :D
I am a revolutionary.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The "it could suck" risk is waaaay too high for any kind of potential gain. "We don't need any of that ****" still stands.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No. The only answer is "we don't need any of that ****". We don't need any new official Freespace release. Ever. End of discussion, please evacuate the thread.
May I kindly suggest that you refrain from unilaterally setting the parameters of the discussion going forward?  Kthx.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
May I kindly suggest that you refrain from unilaterally setting the parameters of the discussion going forward?  Kthx.

This.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
The "it could suck" risk is waaaay too high for any kind of potential gain. "We don't need any of that ****" still stands.

Oh..... ok.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist

Yeah, I guess if you're willing to ignore canon it wouldn't affect them. It would kill immersion for me, but that's just the way I perceive things.

Let's just save us all a lot of trouble, and say that this can only happen if any individual decides it's so for them. It is not automatic. None of the post FS1 campaigns were invalidated by FS2, same would be for a hypothetical FS3. It might make it awkward, but wouldn't "invalidate" any mods or campaigns. This has been suggested many times before on this subject.

At this point, any mod with a storyline that doesn't contradict the established narrative can claim a small amount of canon plausibility, even if it will never become a canonical reality. FS3 would eliminate that and throw every post-capella campaign into alternate-universe territory, thereby invalidating their storylines in a canon sense.

And let's not forget that if FS3 was moddable enough (and it might well be) it would either (A) compete with the SCP and split FreeSpace mods between two different programs, making it significantly harder and costlier to play all of them, or (B) eliminate the SCP all together.

I stand by my original statement that FSO is a perfectly good, non storyline-crushing substitute for FS3.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:23:07 am by Apollo »
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)