Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305164 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
I don't really watch newly-airing shows much at all (except for Jojo, Part V hyyyype), but Revue Starlight sounds really intriguing in that it's in a very similar vein to Utena.

Speaking of, working on Yurikuma Arashi.  It's peak Ikuhara and I love it.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Gundam Unicorn is on Netflix

If you've gotten this far in life without watching Gundam Unicorn, this would be a great time to do something about that!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I don't really watch newly-airing shows much at all (except for Jojo, Part V hyyyype), but Revue Starlight sounds really intriguing in that it's in a very similar vein to Utena.

Speaking of, working on Yurikuma Arashi.  It's peak Ikuhara and I love it.

I'll tell you something else about Revue Starlight, some of its core staff was also on Yuri Kuma. I still need to watch Utena but from people who've seen both, the Utena connection is really surface level.

Also, hell yeah JoJo's hyyyyyyype. Fingers crossed we get fansubs that restore the references. (Also might just wait to binge it because Part 3 week to week was one of the most painful experiences of my media consuming life)

If you've gotten this far in life without watching Gundam Unicorn, this would be a great time to do something about that!
UNICORN. I'm still partial to War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team to it (for the grounding) but Unicorn is a tour de force.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Nah I can't stand bingeing things.  That slow burn over an entire week is one of the best parts of watching a great show

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

On the other hand, don't do this, because the version on Netflix is the "six episode OVA expanded into 26 for a TV season" and my god it shows.

Go find the OVA instead.

Offline Turambar

I thought the one on netflix was the 7 episode OVA, and not the unnecessarily cut up 26 episode season.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It is the shorter one.   I watched it all the weekend it released in the UK.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Nah I can't stand bingeing things.  That slow burn over an entire week is one of the best parts of watching a great show

Depends on the show and on your mood. Sometimes watching several episodes in a row is awesome as you get a better grip on the plot, and sometimes it might be an overdose. Personally I think it's better because when at some point near the end earlier events are referenced, you haven't forgotten about them (though over a week is still within range).

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel

Depends on the show and on your mood. Sometimes watching several episodes in a row is awesome as you get a better grip on the plot, and sometimes it might be an overdose. Personally I think it's better because when at some point near the end earlier events are referenced, you haven't forgotten about them (though over a week is still within range).

For stuff that's really dense or plot heavy, like JoJo's or Steins;Gate, I like being able to watch it at my own pace. For slice of life stuff, the weekly cycle is really nice and is probably how something like Sakura Quest was intended to be experienced.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

It is the shorter one.   I watched it all the weekend it released in the UK.
Can confirm it's the OVA version, at least for Malaysia (I doubt they'd release things on separate licenses, especially since I believe the series version is on the youtube channel).

While we're on Netflix, apparently they have released the Korean film version of Jin-Roh. Titled Illang: The Wolf Brigade, the effects look, well, okay I guess. And the sewer scene is there. I haven't sat down to watch the whole thing yet, but maybe sometime soon.

Been watching through a curated list of anime this past year; recommendations coming from here at HLP and from subreddits for the series that I liked. So far, I have in total seen (in order):
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (OVA + Movies)
Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Kancolle
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Hunter X Hunter

I found Arpeggio and Kancolle to be wholly mediocre and mostly just tried them out of my interest in naval history. FMA:B and HXH were excellent. I even started reading the HXH manga that Togashi has been updating to stick with the new arc.

However, I would consider none of these to be my favorite, as that distinction goes to the collection of Ghibli films that I just finished watching over the last 2 weeks. I'd heard of the minds of Miyazaki and Takahata before but never gave them any attention. That was a mistake. Those were some outstanding movies, from Nausicaa to Kaguya.
Going to be taking a bit of a break for a week or so to focus on my research, but the next on the list is Death Note. I've heard good things, so we'll see.

As for non-anime related entertainment, Downton Abbey has recently caught my attention. Didn't think I'd ever care for the lives of English nobles or that they'd be entertaining but this has been an excellent series. Just finished season 2 and will be starting season 3 shortly.

That is all  :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Anyone here watch FairyTail?

Offline Turambar

TechnoD11:  What did you think of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and Legend of the Galactic Heroes?  They are some of my all-time favorites.

TechnoD11:  What did you think of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and Legend of the Galactic Heroes?  They are some of my all-time favorites.

Yamato was the first anime I ever watched and still one of the best. Very entertaining and the animation was excellent (I mean, comon...that wave motion gun  ;) ).
LoGH had a lot more plot/backstory/character development. The animation was older in LoGH but it suited the show well, in a less-flashy way than Yamato.

Both get 2 thumbs up from me, each for their own reasons.

Question for you though - you started Yamato 2202 yet, and if so, is it any good? I've been holding off until its finished so I can watch it over a couple of weeks.

Anyone here watch FairyTail?
I did watch a 2 dozen episodes of it while it was running parallel to the soccer world cup. While I'm not a fan of this type of show in general, I think Fairy Tail is quite OK, but the story is just too predictable and I didn't feel like sitting in front of the TV just for this after the world cup ended; also when I missed some episodes in between I didn't had the feeling that I missed something. In the end I read up the story and comments on TV Tropes, which summed up my POV on this - too many episodes for a story I don't really care about.

Finished Megalo Box. I'm not crying. You're crying. (I need a T-Shirt of this show).

Watched the Youtube upload of Bandit Flower. Thunderbolt is catching up to the manga, but also reinforces my opinion of it having good ideas, but poor implementation. Pretty though.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Question for you though - you started Yamato 2202 yet, and if so, is it any good? I've been holding off until its finished so I can watch it over a couple of weeks.

Started 2202 this weekend we're about four episodes in.  The first episode was great but the following three felt a little awkward getting in motion, there are a lot of moving parts in play that I think needed a little more room to breathe.  That said just as in 2199 the animation is solid, the music is great and the ships look fantastic.  I think now that the both the show is underway it will probably settle down and some of the previews I've seen for the Battle of Saturn indicate it's going to be completely nuts.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Turambar

I am up to date on 2202.

I can tell why they thought they had a chance at adapting Legend of the Galactic heroes after some of the fleet movements on the show.  I don't 100% agree, but I understand.

I think the intros are a little low-effort, but I also don't care much about anime intros so that's not a make or break for me, since i hate most anime intros and that would leave me not watching a lot of anime.  I just really loved the 2199 intros. 

It's still pretty solid Yamato so far.  It's just the original had such a clear start and finish it's hard to pick it back up and keep going.

sg sg1  and Atlantis for the first time

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You're in for a LONG trip bud.  All good though.   #memoriesofsamanthacarter
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png