Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305300 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
I mean the short answer is that we have very small bilingual populations so no one's going to notice if things are wrong.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I mean the short answer is that we have very small bilingual populations so no one's going to notice if things are wrong.
That doesn't exactly make it less grating, especially the "Medici" thing, someone just told me that it's likely they thought the same rules for spanish pronunciation applied to italian.
*sigh*
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Finished some anime recently so figured I'd update:
Konosuba Movie - This was wonderful. It's like a movie-length episode of Kazuma antics and Megumin doing explosion things.
Also
Spoiler:
Kazuma dies

Sword Art Online (1, 2, Ordinal Scale, 3, 3 Part 2 - in Progress) - I'd heard too much about this series so I figured what the hell, why not. Well turns out there were a lot of reasons to why not. Aincrad arc in season 1 was...alright I guess. Klein needed screen time. Timejumps were all over the place. ALFhelm online arc was literally incest and tentacles. Season 2 really disappointed me. There's a lot that could have been done with a post-apocalyptic setting they had, not to mention the new characters. Instead we got excessive ass shots of the new female lead and a plot that had to be explained in several lengthy narrator sessions. Hell I didn't even finish this season. Ordinal scale was solid movie, most notably for the animation, A-1 really brought their A game to this one. Season 3 though...Alicization is actually half decent, certainly better than anything up to this point. Eugeo and Alice are pretty well written and the character traits are backed up with supporting evidence of how they developed over time. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm looking forward to the upcoming part 2 episodes.

Kill La Kill  - Halfway done with this one. Loving it so far. Absolute crazy shenanigans!
Spoiler:
To put on clothing, one must first get naked!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just finished binging Schlock Mercenary webcomic from the beginning (June of 2000).  Here's The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, which is a book referenced throughout the strip:
Hidden Text: Show
1. Pillage, then burn.
2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
4. Close air support covereth a multitude of sins.
5. Close air support and friendly fire should be easier to tell apart.
6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
7. If the food is good enough, the grunts will stop complaining about the incoming fire.
8. Mockery and derision have their place. Usually, it's on the far side of the airlock.
9. Never turn your back on an enemy.
10. Sometimes the only way out is through. . . through the hull.
11. Everything is air-droppable at least once.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
13. Do unto others.
14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
15. Only you can prevent friendly fire.
16. Your name is in the mouth of others: be sure it has teeth.
17. The longer everything goes according to plan, the bigger the impending disaster.
18. If the officers are leading from in front, watch out for an attack from the rear.
19. The world is richer when you turn enemies into friends, but that's not the same as you being richer.
20. If you're not willing to shell your own position, you're not willing to win.
21. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him he's lucky just to be alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take tomorrow.
22. If you can see the whites of their eyes, somebody's done something wrong.
23. The company mess and friendly fire should be easier to tell apart
24. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.
25. If the damage you do is covered by a manufacturers warranty, you didn't do enough damage.
Amended: If a manufacturer's warranty covers the damage you did, you didn't do enough damage.
26. "Fire and Forget" is fine, provided you never actually forget.
27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.
28. If the price of collateral damage is high enough, you might be able to get paid for bringing ammunition home with you.
29. The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.
30. A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.
31. Only cheaters prosper.
32. Anything is amphibious if you can get it back out of the water.
33. If you're leaving tracks, you're being followed.
34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
35. That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.
Amended: That which does not kill me has made a tactical error.
36. When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.
37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'
Amended: There is no "overkill." There is only "open fire" and "reload."
38. Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients.
Amended: What's easy for you can still be hard on your clients.
39. There is a difference between spare parts and extra [parts].
40. Not all good news is enemy action.
41. “Do you have a backup?” means “I can’t fix this.”
42. "They'll never expect this" means "I want to try something stupid."
43. If it's stupid and it works, it's still stupid and you're lucky.
44. If it will blow a hole in the ground, it will double as an entrenching tool.
45. The size of the combat bonus is inversely proportional to the likelihood of surviving to collect it.
46. Don’t try to save money by conserving ammunition.
47. Don't expect the enemy to cooperate in the creation of your dream engagement.
48. If it ain't broke, it hasn't been issued to the infantry.
49. Every client is one missed payment away from becoming a target and every target is one bribe away from becoming a client.
50. If it only works in exactly the way the manufacturer intended, it is defective.
51. Let them see you sharpen the sword before you fall on it.
52. The army you've got is never the army you want.
53. The intel you've got is never the intel you want.
54. The best way to win a one-on-one fight is to be the third to arrive.
Amended: It's only too many troops if you can't pay them.
55. It's only too many weapons if they're pointing in the wrong direction.
56. Infantry exists to paint targets for people with real guns.
57. Artillery exists to launch large chunks of budget at an enemy it cannot actually see.
58. The pen is mightiest when it writes orders for more swords.
59. "Two wrongs is probably not going to be enough."
60. Any weapon's rate of fire is inversely proportional to the number of available targets.
61. Don't bring big grenades into small rooms.
62. Anything labeled "This end toward enemy" is dangerous at both ends.
63. The brass knows how to do it by knowing who can do it.
64. An ounce of sniper is worth a pound of suppressing fire.
65. After the toss, be the one with the pin, not the one with the grenade.
66. Necessity is the mother of deception.
67. If you can't carry cash, carry a weapon.
68. Negotiating from a position of strength does not mean you shouldn’t also negotiate from a position near the exits.
69. Sometimes rank is a function of firepower.
70. Failure is not an option - it is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Here's the first strip (they also have an option to subscribe to an RSS feed of, say, 7 strips a day until you catch up if you prefer not to binge):

Heh they took the promotion lines of the comic strip from WoD~ :D

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Jessica Jones season 3: it feels a lot like the first season should have been in a way. The problem with starting with Killgrave is that the stakes progressively lowered instead of escalating. Why in the hell they didn't give Trish a costume more in line with that in the comics I'll never know, they even made a makeover scene with a cheap cosplay to crap on it. Hell, with the way her superhero career is basically a cry for attention, a silly costume and even giving herself a name would be perfectly in-character (she was the one that proposed the costume to Jessica in the first season).
Other than that it was nice seeing Jessica finally hitting some sort of messy balance in her life.

She-Ra and The Princesses of Power season 4: well, that's a way to up the stakes. Catra gets more and more messed up to the point that not even Scorpia tolerates it anymore, a rift develops between Glimmer and Adora and in the end everything goes down the drain. And we finally know why the other She-Ra did what she did. Waiting to see how they'll fix up the mess in season 5.
Also Mermista being even more of a dork than Bow will never cease to be funny.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I believe I previously posted about Wakfu, here's a review of why Nox is one of the best villains (JELlegendz):

So, I watched quite a few things in the later two-thirds of 2019 :

Attack on Titan, season 3 : Hell yeah ! I had been waiting for that one for a long while and it didn't disappoint, as it was one of my favorite parts (especially the second half) of the manga for a number of reasons.
S3 spoilers below:
Spoiler:
- I like the fact that every time the Survey Corps ventured beyond the walls, its losses have been ranging from heavy to catastrophic. I mean, at the end of that arc, there's like 9 people left out of the entire expeditionary force, and probably not many more members back home.
- IIRC, that's also the part of the story where the addressed the tech stagnation issue. Waaaay back after watching season 1 and long before I started reading the manga, I noted that the story only worked with the limited yet somewhat advanced tech level of this society. Things like hot-air balloons would have made the Survey Corps' mission much easier, and fighting the titans would be far easier with a handful of advances in weaponry, like more accurate cannons, or high explosives (I didn't think of rockets back then).
- Following up on that, seeing the titans being beaten up with humans rather than Titan!Eren was pretty cool.
- Armin was always the bravest of them all (too bad they didn't have the balls to make it stick). Plus, it was awesome to see Mikasa seemingly ready to go up against Levi over his life. I always thought that while much was made of her relationship with Eren, she would love Armin nearly as much (being childhood friends and survivors of the initial attack & all that) - she just doesn't get as many opportunities to show it since Armin doesn't get in harms way as often as Eren does.
- The stuff in the basement.
- Poor Reiner, s1 & 2 -> helps burst the wall open, gets Eren nearly captured twice and is generally very difficult to deal with thanks to his thick armor (though Titan!Eren does manage to get the upper hand in hand-to-hand combat once). s3 -> manages to get blown up twice and gets nearly killed/captured, saved mostly by plot armor.
Which ties into: *Post-season 3 spoilers*
Spoiler:
- s'4' Reiner : gets blown up (again), and generally get thrashed in some way every time a fight happens.
I really like how season 3 foreshadowed (among other things) the logical conclusion of technology not actually stagnating: Titans are mostly obsolete already, and will likely be irrelevant in the next war anyway, meaning that the mission of the Marleyian warriors was ... mostly pointless really.
I'm really eager to see how they're gonna do the Reiner-Eren confrontation, as this type of moment has always been highlights of the anime.

Chernobyl : Not much to add to what I already said in the relevant thread, aside that this is one of 2019's highlight.

7 Seeds : A nice long-after-the-end anime, where groups of people try to start over humanity from scratch on an Earth that has moved on from humanity. It's got a nice balance between optimism and cynicism. I really like how most people try to cooperate despite having a heap of reasons to distrust one another. Plus it fits in withe bazillion survival video games that popped up in the past decade :).
I hope they continue the story (I think it's adapted from a light novel?), as the season ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. Would recommend.

Rick & Morty, season 4 : It's pretty cool so far.

Travelers : A nice riff on the "set right what went wrong" theme, mixed in with body-snatching, I found it rather enjoyable. It explores its themes and morality quite thoroughly, and has some fun with that.
It has its ups & downs, but I would still recommend it overall.

Another Life : A science fiction story about people traveling to the edge of the Solar System(that was Nightflyers) another Solar System to make first contact with an alien species after some alien structures appear on earth, with Katee Sackhoff in the lead role. It is absolute garbage, poor Starbuck is the only element of quality in it (visuals are OK though).

Now, I'm no stranger to first contact stories, Nightflyers earlier this year tackled a similar journey, I watched 2016's Arrival a few months earlier, I watched Cube and Contact ages ago, I read Blindsight a few times, plus some more minor works here & there. This is possibly the ****tiest variation I have seen on it. They've managed the rather impressive job of making the awe-inspiring, inherently perilous journey through the unknown of space, where the heroes have to survive with their wit and resourcefulness just so they can decipher an unknowable enigma, look like ... I don't know, some teen slasher movie maybe? You know the one, where people get killed or screwed over more due to their own stupidity rather than any external danger. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I expect that when we make contact with intelligent alien life, we'll send an Elite crack team of experts, trained to face the perils of their journey, rather than a bunch of unstable frat-boys and sisterhood-girls that either flip the moment they hit some minor snag or behave like ****ing space tourists.
I managed to sit through 3 and a half episodes, but it was just too awful. Would most definitely *not* recommend.

His Dark Materials : An adaptation of Philip Pullman's series of novels. This is not the first time it got adapted, but I purposefully stayed away from 2007's Golden Compass film, as back then I suspected that A) it was probably just Harry-Potter-sploitation and B) there was no way in hell they could put the more controversial aspects of the books in a family movie - meaning I was quite intrigued by this. Times have changed since the mid-2000s, book now finally get adapted in series instead of being compressed into films, and our standards for quality television has arguably never been higher, so seeing a new adaptation, that included some quality actors (some of which are apparently quite familiar with the books), such as Dafne Keen (X-23 from Logan) in the lead role.

Note: I am currently half-way through. I have mixed feelings about it, I love the esthetics, I like how they've adapted the story while staying pretty darn close to the books, but I think I expected more, something feels off in the performance across the board and I have a few nitpicks here & there, and I don't whether it's an actual failing of the series, or just me having unusually high standards.

Has any one else given it a shot ?

The Expanse season 4 is as beautiful and engaging as ever, and leaves you wanting more. The world feels as vibrant as ever, despite the switch over to amazon.

Last, but not least is Dark Crystal : Age of Resistance : Wow, I did not expect to like this as much as I did. This is a prequel to the 1982 all-puppet film Dark Crystal, and I'll say that with the batch of 80s-ploitation films & series we've seen over the past decade, all of which have been rather hit or miss, I was rather skeptical going in. I mean with all the excellent CG & more we've had in recent years, how the hell would old school puppets hold up ? The last time I saw puppets was on Farscape from the previous decade (would highly recommend, btw). And the series would be focused on stiff-faced gelflings ?

Well, it turns out I was wrong on pretty much everything. The puppets, the set, everything looks absolutely gorgeous, the story's good, the characters are good, the only things that look off are a handful of blatant all-CG shots, and a couple of shots where some puppets couldn't be animated. And they really went the extra mile, after watching a few behind the scenes things, it turns out there's way less CG in there than I thought.

Even if you don't care about the story & all, I think the craftsmanship alone make it worth a watch.
This is one of 2019's highlight, would highly recommend.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
AOT SEASON 3

:eek2:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Luis Dias

watching future diary, and i can't still decide whether to recommend it or not. I have seen several animes, but I fall short at the understanding(tm) of its general tropes, which I can sense there are a multiplicity displayed in it, at least in analytical terms. However, I can say it has both bored me and surprised me. It's equally intelligent and often times dumb as bricks. Some times it paves the way to interesting ideas behind the concepts of the show, but quickly goes off topic, or forgets about the ideas and moves on, betrays some characters' traits, or is just plain silly.

However, it still haunts me enough to keep watching it. It may have to do with the main relationship, which is hard and unealthy, but true to heart. Having gone through some... personal circumstances, I can say the writers may well know what they're writing about. That whole thing rings true, and personal.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Watched an anime called "Puella Magi Madoka Magica"  Which SpaceBattles convinced me to watch.
It starts looking like a magical girl show... then it tears out you heart, stomps on it, puts it in a blender, and sets it on fire for good measure... and it's good enough that you just can't stop watching it...

Seriously, forget manly tears.  This will have you sobbing in a corner...

EDIT:  IT does have more than a fair share of awesomeness and explosions too though...

I've seen Clannad.

Madoka has nothing on that.

Still, I must agree with Droid. Madoka is an excellent show. I've no idea when they're going to get around to releasing the movies here, but I'm definitely getting them!

EDIT:
Madoka was one of the few objectively good series from a writing standpoint to actually come out in recent times.

* Dark Hunter grabs popcorn

Watching Clannad on Netflix now.  Have watched Madoka before, sound accurate.  Therefore beginning to suspect the melancholy music from Clannad is my harbinger of doom.  And here I was hoping they chose the music just to be mellow. :sigh:   :(

EDIT: ok, ending(s) were just fine.  Phew.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:53:22 pm by jr2 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
A Silent Voice / The Shape of Voice (seems to be the internal title) is a really good anime movie, covers some important stuff re: bullying, suicide, second chances, friendship etc.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Your lie in April is a good one.  Abuse, isolation, loss, friends supporting through it etc.   Melancholy, but in a beautiful way.  Bonus, lots of Classic music played with emotion.  Even if you don't like Classical, though, I don't think it will get in the way (don't let it keep you from the series, at the very least).

Guess I'll drop an update too!

The Expanse Season 4
Not much to say here. If you are a fan of the first 3 seasons, you'll be a fan of the fourth. The amount of science they get right on this show (and in a way that isn't unbelievable or forced for entertainment) is truly remarkable.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (Seasons 1 and 2)
This is really good. It's a good plot with characters that have genuine motives and act on them in a way that makes sense in the context of the world. The aesthetic is a little older (and 'edgy',  i guess is the best way to describe it) There is a fair amount of fanservice though, just a heads up (Though,
Spoiler:
Kallen kicking ass in the Guren while in a bunny suit was actually really awesome
)

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
I wanted something easy to watch while I eat my breakfast. This suited that need perfectly. Funny when it needed to be with a very simple message at the end.

Weathering With You
Not technically a series but whatever. Saw this one in theaters (which you should do if you can!). This is a better movie than Your Name. Less time skips, more focused, IMO funnier, and absolutely stunningly animated (seriously, the art is incredible). It's also super wholesome  :)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

Seconded - The video doesn't mention it even without the prequel-short (which is the one in the less-anime looking style) the story-telling how they set up Nox is a master-class that needs to be seen (e.g. how his jerky movements represent his disconnect from basic humanity).

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (Seasons 1 and 2)
This is really good. It's a good plot with characters that have genuine motives and act on them in a way that makes sense in the context of the world. The aesthetic is a little older

It's also an older series, late 2000s early 2010s - I remember because I watched a few years ago, when someone pointed out to me that it serves as inspiration for some elements in first Trails of Cold Steel (e.g. the reveal of Comrade C's identiy in the Epilogue is visual quote from Season 1 finale of this show).
You are well advised to prepare yourself for some heartbreak however, as the show pulls no punches on the horrible prospect that being in the immidiate orbit of an anti-hero. (Even though I understand the rationale behind and the place in the narrative of the conclusion of Shirley's arc, I will never not be sad about.)

Your lie in April is a good one.  Abuse, isolation, loss, friends supporting through it etc.   Melancholy, but in a beautiful way.  Bonus, lots of Classic music played with emotion.  Even if you don't like Classical, though, I don't think it will get in the way (don't let it keep you from the series, at the very least).

Seconded

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These (2018)
Spoon once mentioned that original series served as inspiration to him, so I was bound to have a look. At least I know now, where the design of the Skirmisher comes from :P
The show juggles a lot and sadly doesn't end conclusively (Wikipedia tells me that it was continued in 2019 but that wasn't translated yet appearently). Because it juggles so much (two teams of commanders on the opposite side of a war; as well as setting up history and politics) it sometimes feels like it is moving a bit too fast and doesn't give elements time to settle in. Regardless it worth a watch.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
on Galactic Heroes, the pacing steps on itself a little bit in the new one.  The original has very deliberate pacing that makes it easy to follow.  That's not to say they are completely different, many of the conversations in the show are identical between the two versions.  It's a shame too, they are only gaining about one episode of lead with the compression they've done (comparing amount of episodes in original vs remake to the events that are occurring).
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Just finished binging Schlock Mercenary webcomic from the beginning (June of 2000).

I've been meaning to read those! I just have never gotten around to it yet...
I like the author, Howard Taylor, on the podast Writing Excuses that he does with Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, and a bunch of others.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:42:35 pm by Goober5000 »

Now you have the URL in your post too :p

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Now you have the URL in your post too :p

True, but it's not clickable.  You'd have to manually copy+paste it to go there (FWIW, I was curious and put it into Google Translate and it's a Russian site offering CounterStrike 1.6 downloads for free).