Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn: Stranded  (Read 74301 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn: Stranded
Your logic has no place here!

I actually didn't see the glass break effect for whatever reason.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
You people have no idea how scary it is flying with cracked screens and your hull bleeding and some Zy or glassfighter can jump out suddenly and shoot you down as you're jinking like mad and then cry as your effort is wasted.

Oh, get killed by Nordera on Insane too, how humiliating!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
"Sorry, but currently all surviving characters of Stranded are celebrating their survival in a holiday spar and thus not available for questions. Please try again at a later date."
Though I too would like to ask some questions to the new cast, to fill up their currently very basic wiki profiles, along with some info about the deepseekers and the abilities of the R6 Aestival.
Unforunately not going to happen at this time, maybe again in a distance future.

Also I have a minor nitpick about the breaking glass.
How can the cockpit glass break, if LSF cockpits don't have a glass canopy?
Of courese if you called it the main viewscreen cracking, I'd be fine with it. :P
You are right, good sir.
It is in fact main viewscreen cracking  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
I'm not going to ask weird creepy questions. Just Cardassian-perspective questions.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
...which are innately weird, and creepy. That aside...

...you know Spoon, I think you could further make things look more and more damaged besides glass cracking, like corrupted fake HUD gauges somewhere or two (that don't cover the real HUD gauges of course) :P

Offline Lorric

...which are innately weird, and creepy. That aside...

...you know Spoon, I think you could further make things look more and more damaged besides glass cracking, like corrupted fake HUD gauges somewhere or two (that don't cover the real HUD gauges of course) :P

I wouldn't want this. It would just make things a struggle if you had to deal with corrupted data. And it would be a peeve that the AI would have no such problems. A bit like when in some Freespace campaigns sensors are out so you can't get a lock, but everyone else can happily lock onto the targets and fire off guided missiles.

The bright sun is also a big pet peeve not just because I don't like it to begin with but because I know the AI can fly into it with impunity while I can't even see what I'm supposed to be shooting at. If there is a way to "turn out the light" and make the main sun like secondary suns which don't blind you, I'd love to know.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It can be done, Lorric. You just need to edit the stars.tbl. Go open a thread in FSModding if you wish to know how.
The AI cheats in half a million ways, otherwise they would never pose a challenge due to being, well, very predictable. I wouldn't get my panties tied in a knot over AI advantages.

Rule of Cool > *

So sun glare, lens flares, cracked glass, all the cool distracting stuff is totally fine, IMO. :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
YOU ASKED FOR THIS, SPOON

The Good
Spoiler:
The campaign is almost 100% free of bugs and technical writing errors. Or it was when I got to it, anyways. Seriously I'm pretty sure there's more polish on this than there was on WiH when it got released.

The new character designs are effective and unique. They also provide, for whatever reason, the impression of somewhat greater age than those from Wings of Dawn. That's good for this campaign.

It's a relatively simple story, but it's told very well. (So well I almost didn't notice the first thing in The Bad.) Execution typically counts for a lot more than initial concept anyways, and the execution here is superb.

The Bad
Spoiler:
There's a part of me that rebels over the somewhat sudden addition of a second person, with no previous contact, who suddenly develops a more-than-professional interest in your character. (Or at least that's how I read the dialogue.) She also acts like pretty much no Cyrvan we've met before, counting those from the Ask A Character threads. The campaign's too short to really deal with either circumstance effectively, but someone not quite so familiar with the genre might not respond to the cues as positively. (Or it may be the other way around, I don't usually make a habit of dealing with harem stuff.)

For whatever reason, Terran fighters and Cyrvan missiles don't mix effectively and often cause you to be damaged by your own missiles. I usually end up having to avoid firing in situations where WoD encouraged you to be profligate with missiles. It's a kind of crappy transition.

The Ugly
Spoiler:
I actually find it quite difficult to get anything besides the True End unless I'm intentionally trying to do so.

I may have to retract the bug statement, as for some reason I never got the cracking effects. Not knowing at what level of damage they kick in that may not be a bug.

The last cutscene doesn't offer a very good view of what's going on. Sure you get the gist of it, but it's somewhat crowded visually and not very aesthetically appealing, nor does it offer a chance to get a good look at most of the ships involved. And since we're seeing them for the first time, that's immensely disappointing.

A Feddie Story

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
Spoiler:
She also acts like pretty much no Cyrvan we've met before, counting those from the Ask A Character threads.

Spoiler:
Do all humans act the same? Mr. Derfa also acted quite differently from Mr. Munoq, but I did not see you complaining about that. Unless you are talking about the Borg, expecting all members of a species to be identical in personality is ridiculous. Compare me to that Bajoran fetishist Dukat, for instance.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
This is why Cardassian poetry is the only art form that's made to critical acclaim outside the Union.

A Feddie Story

Offline -Norbert-

In the game itself we've seen two Cyrvans, both of them stated to be odd by their races standards, Crystal showing far more respect to Terrans than most of her people and Luna just being.... Luna.

On top of that you can expect people who spend weeks or even month all alone, far behind enemy lines to be somewhat excentric by their races standards.

Offline Lorric

Hey NGTM-1R, this will solve your little "issue" with the final cutscene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAADyaAa6DM&list=UUxW-7zwlLDcTmdpn2sOKEWg&index=5&feature=plcp

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAADyaAa6DM&list=UUxW-7zwlLDcTmdpn2sOKEWg&index=5&feature=plcp

In addition to suffering from many of the same problems, that also doesn't show the same ships. So no.

A Feddie Story

Offline Lorric

In addition to suffering from many of the same problems, that also doesn't show the same ships. So no.

It doesn't have the Zy. There is another video there somewhere with that ship I think, but it's shorter than the cutscene, so that won't help you there. I thought the Zy were fine though, you got to get a really good close look at them.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
There was also a smaller Cryvan ship in the cutscene.

A Feddie Story

Offline Lorric

I never noticed. There's a very colourful one (understatement) on that page, but surely I would have seen that ship.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

There are three Cyrvan capships total. All three are shown in the youtube video (at the beginning). You're not missing anything from the Cyrvan side in that video.
The Zy have 2 capships. They're pretty similar looking. They're all in the OP video (this - 1:12 to the end shows them).

So no, its not actually your first time seeing any of these ships if you've been following WoD2's promotional media.

Visually crowded is just how WoD battles are. Especially the Cyrvan capships which spam beams like no tomorrow.

I'm not getting what you want to see. A slow blob duel? >.>
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:08:53 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Visually crowded is just how WoD battles are. Especially the Cyrvan capships which spam beams like no tomorrow.

See, that's kind of BS, because the battles in the first one aren't that crowded. I'm not talking about raw stuff on the screen; it's more the desire to get every ship in closeup and sometimes more than one ship in closeup at once (you gotta establish a single subject people, this is basic photography!), so you end up with a poor view of what's going on overall.

Pulling the camera back a kilometer or two would have helped a lot, not just to decompress the shot but to make the formations of the ships look better by giving more room to play with.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:55:52 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Lorric

See, that's kind of BS, because the battles in the first one aren't that crowded. I'm not talking about raw stuff on the screen; it's more the desire to get every ship in closeup and sometimes more than one ship in closeup at once (you gotta establish a single subject people, this is basic photography!), so you end up with a poor view of what's going on overall.

Pulling the camera back a kilometer or two would have helped a lot, not just to decompress the shot but to make the formations of the ships look better by giving more room to play with.

I think you're just looking at this too complicated. I thought the goal of it was simple. First, you see these big Zy ships launching off fighters, so I guess you're supposed to be impressed and think "oh boy, we're dead." Then it's just a shock and awe power display of Cyrvan military might.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of these ships in WoD2.

Offline -Norbert-

Also this is supposed to be a teaser, making us (even more) hungry for WoD2, not an in-depth analysis of those yet unreleased ships.