Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn: Stranded  (Read 74291 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn: Stranded
Cool, thanks :)

I put Axem and Droid on the proofreading case and they did found a bunch of things that I corrected before release. But things will always slip through one way or an other.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

I put Axem and Droid on the proofreading case and they did found a bunch of things that I corrected before release. But things will always slip through one way or an other.

No kidding.  :p
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Lorric

:lol:

Poor Spoon.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Cool, thanks :)

Well, if you ever feel that you want a 4th opinion, toss me some scripts and I'll look over them, and maybe get the girlfriend too as well (She's Hungarian, but her English is excellent, and she tends to be far more meticulous about English than I am).
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Better late than never...

Oh, and this has been out long enough that I'm going to drop spoils like a mofo. I mean if you haven't played it yet, why are you even reading this far in the thread? Anyhow...

Stranded was a solid mini-campaign. Like the Homesick of Dawn to the main WoD campaign's more conventional style. I'm a big fan of the Homesick/Sync style since I think having the smaller more personal SPACE ADVENTURE! kind of stories makes a nice change of pace from the usual grandiose interstellar war stories, and getting to have such an adventure in the WoD-verse was a nice treat. So, in no particular order...

1. I got TRUE END playing on Easy.
Spoiler:
Trans-species double dinner date, WOO! :pimp:
I normally play on Medium, but had to drop down to Easy for WoD, so I went ahead and stuck with that for Stranded, which I think was a good call because...

2. Fighting Liuzqo and his pal at the end was INTENSE. Taking a cue from Transcend and having a non-targetable, non-radar-showing-up boss fight made for a nice finale. Thank the Winged Ones it wore off after he got damaged a bit, or I would have been deaded instead of just stranded. Also, I like how he called Sylphia "knife-eared," that was a nice touch.

3. Speaking of Sylphia, while having a pair of sexy space babes as wingmates would probably seem contrived in most settings, in WoD it feels like par for the course :p. That said, I never quite got romantic vibes from them, more like comrades-in-arms you might have a shot with later. But then, I've never been accused of being perceptive about this stuff IRL nor do I have much experience with VN style stories, so hey.

4. I loved the custom post-pro settings, gave everything a vibrant appearance and really enhanced the anime feel. I also thought the new Ray textures looked slick (maybe they were just for the Command model? idk), and the interior drawings for the story sections impressed me too. Kudos if you drew those yourself Spoon, and if not well.... nothing wrong with repurposing art... :nervous:
Character portraits were top notch too. It's convenient that Silver lost her helmet and every other helmet in the universe too. :D

tl;dr - Stranded was a good time and if this is even sort of the direction WoD is going, then I'm excited. :yes:

EDIT: Oh, and Sylphia handwaving the convenient secret Cyrvan base was golden.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Good job on both WoD normal campaign and this one. I enjoyed the ride :)

p.s. I only recently found WoD, partially thanks to the "MISSILESMISSILESMISSILES...". Good job on the main campaign too, I really enjoyed it!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:19:38 am by Duidalus »

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Finished it and got the true ending, though I had to lower the difficulty to but that damn Zy Ace. I'm curious how the other endings are reached and what they look like.

Something strange happens when Stranded is loaded, though. When I play the main WoD campaign, all the head anis are shrunk and undersized, but the issue thankfully disappears if Stranded is removed from the WoD folder. I have no idea of what is causing this, and it's thankfully only a slightly annoying glitch.

Edit: Headani issue was known, apparently I am unable to read the OP.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:17:02 pm by Torchwood »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I finally came around to playing Stranded today and played through it in one sitting... Really cool and has me wanting for more (as well as giving my a thiny regret for putting it off so long)

Good work, thank you Spoon for makeing it and I'm looking foward for more.

sorta/kinda makes me wish I could contribute (sadly my FREDing skills are out of date)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:34:09 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Coo'
Glad you enjoyed it  :)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
An FYI for anyone trying to play WoD:Stranded on a recent nightly, the new stricter table parser is complaining about a single quoting error in the ships table.  Here's a fixed table; just put it in Wings Of Dawn/data/tables/
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Yarn

I made a patch in this post that fixes the head ANI issue.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Niffan, I'm trying to apply your fix but there is no tables folder in Wings of Dawn\data
What do.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Niffan, I'm trying to apply your fix but there is no tables folder in Wings of Dawn\data
What do.
Create a folder, call it "tables", and put that file inside of it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Yep, that fixed it. Appreciated.