Author Topic: SC II: Heart of the Swarm  (Read 9638 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Re: SC II: Heart of the Swarm
Well The size of the battlecruisers has always been up for speculation, but in a Q&A with Blizzard the question about battlecruisers sizes came up, They have officially said the battlecruiser crew ranges from 5000-7000 and here's the statistics for Mengsk flagship
BUCEPHALUS TD Imperial Flagship
Commissioned: 2503
Origin/ Manufacture: Ursa Shipyards/ Procyon Industries
Dimensions: Length: 550m
Width: 82.4m
Power: Class 10 Fusion
Armaments: 16 J23Ship-to-Ship Missile Launchers 25 Crew-Served Batteries 145 Point Defense Systems Air Wing: Variable Ground Ordnance: Variable Shield: Active for Warp and Orbital Insertion Crew: 8,239
Range: Variable;
Standard Equip: Koprulu Sector In-System Speed: 1 AU per Cycle

So maybe the size of it in the trailer is accurate to the fluff.

The one fault I would find with this trailer, other than the size of the Cruiser, is why are there burrowers or whatever beneath the city? Didn't they only just start the invasion? So in the time it takes those ultralisks to run down the street some burrower was put down, burrowed under everything and came up behind the tanks? Doesn't make sense. Though I realize they're just trying to show as many cool units as they can or whatnot.

We don't know what world it was in that vision. and it was a vision in the end. The Zerg seem able to quietly infiltrate worlds without anyone noticing, so maybe they had been on that world for a while and brought a Nydus worm first time round???.

While i agree the wings of Liberty campaign wasn't groundbreaking i still had fun playing it and to me that is one of the key important things about a game, fun and i had fun. I mean i cant stand Call of Duty, i think they are stale games, with rubbish storylines and pretty much each game these days is the same. At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and the players preference of the type of games they like.

I enjoyed SC2 and i thought it was value for money.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
While i agree the wings of Liberty campaign wasn't groundbreaking i still had fun playing it and to me that is one of the key important things about a game, fun and i had fun. I mean i cant stand Call of Duty, i think they are stale games, with rubbish storylines and pretty much each game these days is the same. At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and the players preference of the type of games they like.

It doesn't all come down to this - there were a lot of things about SC2 that were just awful no matter what your preferences are. It was bad craft.

The mission design, however, was generally pretty strong and well varied.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

It doesn't all come down to this - there were a lot of things about SC2 that were just awful no matter what your preferences are. It was bad craft.

The mission design, however, was generally pretty strong and well varied.

Yes, because your opinion of what it comes down to for everyone involved as well as the game itself is the only one that counts and therefore is word of law
"No"

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Ok i may regret asking this, but what was so awful in SC2? Honestly hand on my heart, i didn't anything awful about, like i said the storyline wasn't groundbreaking but wasn't awful in my opinion. I couldn't find anything awful about.

Battuta, I respect you and your decision that you don't like SC2, thats fine with me, not everybody likes the same games, but come on you have to respect mine for liking it and finding it fun.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Bad writing is bad writing.

Plot holes can be counted. They are relatively objective.

I know many fans either ignore, don't notice or handwave stuff like this with headcannon/fanwank, but c'mon.
It's one thing to like something because of factor X (which may be different for different people), but to dismiss the flaws because you love something is intelectually dishonest.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
So let me get this straight....

They FIX Kerrigan?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ok i may regret asking this, but what was so awful in SC2? Honestly hand on my heart, i didn't anything awful about, like i said the storyline wasn't groundbreaking but wasn't awful in my opinion. I couldn't find anything awful about.

Battuta, I respect you and your decision that you don't like SC2, thats fine with me, not everybody likes the same games, but come on you have to respect mine for liking it and finding it fun.

I don't have a problem with you for finding it fun - I thought the SP mission design was really quite remarkably strong. It was the story that was a total mess.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Remember when Mengsk wasn't a drooling idiot?
Remember when the Zerg weren't a misunderstood race that just wants to be free?
Remember when Kerrigan was nicely settled in and wasn't looking for a new appartment to live in?
Remember when the campaign didn't try to start and resolve the main plot line in the very few last missions?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

does someone have the beta key i want to play that too

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well The size of the battlecruisers has always been up for speculation, but in a Q&A with Blizzard the question about battlecruisers sizes came up, They have officially said the battlecruiser crew ranges from 5000-7000 and here's the statistics for Mengsk flagship
BUCEPHALUS TD Imperial Flagship

;7 ;7 :lol:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
 :wtf:

was Alexander the Great's horse and one of the most famous actual horses of antiquity.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

I don't have a problem with you for finding it fun - I thought the SP mission design was really quite remarkably strong. It was the story that was a total mess.

Each mission had enough "reason" to keep me going ("those citizens need help!"  "That's a thing we need!"), the gameplay itself was fun, and the limits imposed in each mission made things interesting. I will also never forgive the devs for making me chose one mission to have a disadvantage in to get an advantage in the other. (THIS mission would be easier the flamethrower dunebuggies, but to get those, I need to do THAT mission, which would be easier if I had the thing the other mission gives me... huh... ok, which one will I suck at less knowing my play style... mission 1? Ok, lets do that). It was fun, and that is all I ask of a game.

However, I did not play it much beyond that, simply because there's no LAN play, and they don't like you using your own maps. I have a very special map that I like for Brood War. I spent many years tweaking it over time to how I like it (based on New Gettysburg, but it's almost unrecognizable as such now). I have successfully had 24 hour+ LAN games on it (paused, saved, and played over the course of 4 days, I don't like this "round is over in 15 mins" crap, I like long, good games, be it SC, EE, SWFoC, whatever) that I have hit the actual unit cap (as in, nothing can be made anymore, and not due to supply) on. Someone really needs to lift that cap, computers can take it these days.

Anyway, I got years of play value out of SC/BW. I did not get the same out of SC2. It was fun, but I'll wait until HotS goes on sale.

Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I have successfully had 24 hour+ LAN games on it (paused, saved, and played over the course of 4 days, I don't like this "round is over in 15 mins" crap, I like long, good games, be it SC, EE, SWFoC, whatever) that I have hit the actual unit cap (as in, nothing can be made anymore, and not due to supply) on.
Have you looked into Supreme Commander?

Starcraft isn't really my cup of tea, it's a tad too fast-paced and clicky for my tastes. But I can certainly see why people play it competitively.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline crizza

The good thing: Maybe, the Protoss will stand supreme in the end :D
Given how ****ed up the story is already...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Now Kerrigan's effectively ruined....I couldn't care less as i've always rooted for the Zerg :(

Maybe the UEF will somehow warp in and OWN everything.../me crosses fingers
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
I'm more curious about these hybrids and the Xel'naga fellow that they've introduced. Certainly not what I was expecting from the tidbit in SC:BW with Duran (secret mission with Zeratul for those who've forgot) though.

Though I agree with the UEF UED aspect. I wouldn't mind seeing them come back in full force

EDIT: Fixed. I was thinking UED
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:15:27 am by deathfun »
"No"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I meant from Supreme Commander.

(UEF would totally own it though, i always liked the simoultaneous developement of identical battlecruisers)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:58:39 am by Dekker »
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
That was just lazyness...no one bothered modeling a few new units.

But logicly, UEF should curbstomp.
Bigger ppoulation base, already established and VAST infastructure, also time and development advantage.
Not only does the UEF have FAR more scientists, but the UEF didn't spend untold number of years in cryostasis.

So basicly it would be like the US from the 1800's sending out a sleeper colony ship that arrives in year 2000. You can pack that ship with the best and brightest, but in those 200 years, the world will have moved on..a LOT.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:11:25 am by TrashMan »

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
I was thinking UED
The acronyms are similar and it's late
"No"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Typo..yes, I was talking about UED from Starcraft.
They should be AT LEAST 300 years ahead technologicly compared to Karpulu sector humans.