Author Topic: A complete FS ship tutorial -- EXTREMELY IMAGE HEAVY  (Read 31641 times)

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Re: A complete FS ship tutorial -- EXTREMELY IMAGE HEAVY
For LODs there's a really handy modifier called "Decimate" since Blender 2.65. You should check it out.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
The section on textures and glow maps is up and running.  Sorry it took so damned long, but RL has taken some fun turns.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
If you could add some contents list like:
1. Modelling
1.6 UV
3. Texturing

and so on it'd be awesome. These posts are very long and it takes some time to navigate between them. Otherwise very long, clear and complete tutorial.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Check PM Kobrar.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Table of Contents (links to posts) added to the first post, thank Kobrar for showing me how how to link to a post and not just a thread.

Casualties of War

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I got to the end of the greebling part yesterday. I don't think I got stuck trying to interpret any of the steps, but my first attempts at doing the greebling seem a bit less than stellar; though it's my first time, so I suppose I shouldn't be too worried about that just yet! However, near the end - mainly while I was doing the bits on the sides of the missile bays - I decided to scale each axis separately after extruding (The Extrude -> Scale method, I think), rather than do it all at once, and that seemed to give me a nicer result. I don't think anything in your steps suggests that shouldn't be done, but I just thought I'd mention it anyway.

One problem that did occur while I was doing the greebling step, I think (since I ran out of undos to see how it happened) was this odd bit of geometry:

I decided to fix it by deleting the faces around that section and then adding new ones that weren't so messed up. Is that an acceptable way to do it (in terms of the method - I probably could have made a nicer set of faces)?

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
It's not only an acceptable method it's the preferred method I'll look into it when I get home see if I can bug fix

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
When I look at this on my comp insteasd of my phone I think I know the problem.  After selecting the faces, hit Z to bring up wire frame and rotate the model a bit to ensure the fact that you have no "extra" faces accidentally selected.  Then go back to solid view and make your extrusions, or what ever you need to do.

but ssmit, post some screenies, I am interested to see how it is turning out.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:21:47 pm by ShadowWolf_IH »

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
ssmit, after AO but before going into LOD, debris, and shield, I need you check something if you are able. 

Yesterday when I brought the model into FS2 for the first time, the size was off.  I mean way off.  If you could, go into the LOD Debris, and shield section.  DO the model centering and sizing stuff, but before adding the second layer, skip down to conversion, convert your model and open it in PCS2.  With the model open in PCS2, make sure that "Header" is highlighted on the left and locate the scrollbar on the right. Scroll all the way down.  The bottom entry should be "Model Info". Could you either grab me a screen, or simply report on what it says there?  I need to know if I bugged my model, or if the tut is bugged.

Casualties of War

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
...I'll do that when I actually get to that section. I've not done any more work on it yet.

Anyway, watch this space - I'll upload those screens you requested previously tomorrow.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Sounds good, thanks for your help.

Casualties of War

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
I wasn't sure what angles you wanted, so I took screenshots from several.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
it looks good. looks like you worried more about what you were doing then making it exactly like mine which was
 the entire point.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Shine Maps up. 

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Normal Maps up.

Don'texpect anything beyond rudimentary for Normal or Shine, These are my first ones on these categories.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
ssmit, before you finalize the model, bring up cockpit glass for each LOD, and give it smooth instead of flat shading.  I really screwed up by not doing this, and when you get to -trans maps in the tut, you'll see why.  Trust me, do it before going on, it can be a headache if you don't.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
-trans map section up.  Next stop....PCS2.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
PCS2 is up.  Chapter 8.  As things are added, the Table of Contents in the first post is modified so that you can use it to direct link to the post.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Size was indeed borked, it is now fixed (I think).  PCS2 coordinates were borked due to size, they are fixed.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Tabling section is up.  That means that the basic section is now finished, and I get to take a break.  It took a month and  a half, but I think we got it going. If you guys find bugs or things that are wrong, let me know so that it can be fixed or revised.  A special thanks to those without whose help I would have been spinning my wheels can be found here, post ten of this tutorial: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84335.msg1684295#msg1684295.

So, give me a couple of weeks break from tutorial writing and I will get back at it to do the advanced section, right now I just need a break.

Casualties of War