Author Topic: Sol Contingency  (Read 2429 times)

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Looks like someone's got some ambition about this.

SOL CONTINGENCY is a reimagining of Interplay’s classic action game DESCENT. Upon its release in 1994, Descent was unique and innovative because it featured true three-dimensional gameplay with movement in all directions, called “six degrees of freedom” or 6DOF. Descent’s legacy includes three full-length games as well as several expansion packs and hundreds of fan-made levels. Descent is still played today by a small yet active community, in part because no further 6DOF games have recently been created that come close to Descent’s quality of gameplay. With Sol Contingency, our goal is to change that.

I'm more than happy someone is actually aiming for something around Descent.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: Sol Contingency (Descent Again)

All of my yes.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:21:11 am by An4ximandros »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Do they have contingencies for the contingencies.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

They aren't Steele, so doubtful.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Looks very promising. I loved the original games and become downright addicted to D1 for a while. :)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I likes me some big hitboxes, D1/D2 style. Hopefully this has them.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Flabbergasted
That's really all I can say
"No"

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
OMG this just made my day.

Stuff

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
It's been three years since the last post, but I've heard that Sol Contingency was released four months ago in the form of the multiplayer only game called "Proving Grounds". It's on Sol-Contingency.com, formerly PrepareForDescent.com.

It is interesting to note, sadly, that the team behind SolC got a cease and desist letter from Interplay, which doesn't want to see that tribute developed, in October 2014. So, it was remade to remove all references to Descent, including Pyro GX, which will be seen later on in Descent Underground, a similar 6DOF first-person shooter by Descendent Studios.

However, when I played it, it brought back memories of me playing 6DOF in the late 1990s toward the new millenium. So, I believed that 6DOF FPS games should have brought up to a standard to today's FPS (like 2016 Doom and the recent entries in the Call of Duty and Battlefield games).

So, I joined the SolC forums to comment it around, including something that I wanted to show (at the moment, I have nothing to show), although I'm interested in story-writing, modelling, level designing, coding, etc.

Anyone played SolC: PG though?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

I'm a huge fan of SolC's Proving Grounds. I've played Descent since 1995 and of all the modern 6dof games this one is my favorite so far. Overload (made by many of the original Descent team) might capture the feel of Descent more closely but it's singleplayer only so far. For insane multiplayer action I've never played any game of any kind that I like as much as I like SolC's demo. Now if only it had more maps and more players... :p

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Indeed, Yoshimitsu. Let me remind you that I have just begun work on a map that allows seamless indoor/outdoor transitions, something most modern game engine support nowadays, and the first since the maps of Descent 3, after getting my hands on Unreal Engine 4.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Good Luck Bryan, I hope you enjoy the process. :) Bear in mind that the released version of SolC is running in UE3, not UE4. I don't know one way or the other if the team would add maps to the Proving Grounds but I definitely think it would be worth asking. I know that Homeyduh was working on another at one point (triaxiality) but he got too busy in real life to finish it.
It would be really cool to get some indoor/outdoor maps. Icebreaker shows a hint of it but it's still in a cave.
Best wishes for your project.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:29:42 am by Yoshimitsu »

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Best wishes to you, Yoshimitsu. I hope to see you soon on the SolC forums.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template