Author Topic: Serapis [RELEASED]  (Read 20341 times)

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
i've always liked the serpis a lot, not it's just irresistible
the cockpits fits superb the way you have done it
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Kolgena

Looks pretty good. I like how you've changed the cross-section of the wing to be sharper.

For some reason, the fighter still feels a bit chubby, like it's a porpoise instead of a shark. I think it might be that the bottom/engine part of fighter is currently too thick (the thickest part of the bottom is the same as the thickest part of the top), although I realize that's basically something that can't be changed right now. It might also be that the front and the top is blunter and less air-foil shaped than the retail model. Anyways, it's not a big deal, since your version still looks miles better than our current offerings. I'd be happy with what you have as-is.

I've attached an isometric screenshot of the serapis to give you an idea of what I mean.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:19:34 pm by Kolgena »

Oh, I see that you added a pilot here. But I really don't get the idea of putting a pilot in such strange position. As I know, it is better to keep body in almost lying position(look at the seats in modern jets), when you are exposed to the effects of high G
(of course if we take that Vasudan body has similar G- tolerance and the fighter hasn't it's own gravity drive).
I know that Serapis is very small unit and there's no room to swing a cat inside the cockpit, but this poor Vasudan hugging all the devices looks funny xD

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
@Kolgena: When in doubt, I go back to retail... so here's a new update.

@Col. Hornet: Proned pilots resist better to G-forces caused by turning.

best model for worst fighter
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Amazing... you made it look even better! Can't wait to see this textured. :yes:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Kolgena

I quite like the motorcycle cockpit for this fighter. Seems like it could be a design trend for vasudan fighters (ulysses has it as well)

@Kolgena: When in doubt, I go back to retail... so here's a new update.

Nice.

The immediately obvious change is that there are now pipes/toes on the bottom of the fighter as the retail textures suggest. I'm not sure if I've noticed any changes to the fighter's overall shape to make it any sleeker, but I'm not sure if it's something you're not going to pursue, or just haven't gotten to it yet.

I am starting to see where you came from when you said the plates looked better than the "toes", but if you look at the retail textures, the black bits in the middle where you've (brilliantly) reimagined as turbines have the same glossy black plate pattern. I think this could be a cue for you to play around with whatever exposed machinery makes the most sense at the front if you also agree that "toes" look a bit weird. Maybe something that makes sense as sensors and/or components of the secondary firepoints directly above?

In terms of further streamlining the model, have you considered removing the lip underneath the lateral primary fire points, or moving it to where the line between brown and tan is between the secondary fire points? Also, as it is now, the most lateral 3 of the secondary firepoints have empty space right behind them, which is frankly odd (even given FS2 hammerspace physics). Anyhow, the model is coming along very nicely, and I'm just throwing random details I noticed at you to see if any of it might be helpful for you to consider.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
When in doubt, I go back to retail...

:yes:

I'm really liking this model - TBH, the serapis was always kind of a dull fighter, visually. Spicing it up with the high poly doodads in the engines is not really an issue (particularly not with the decreased count on this new version).

Can;t wait to see the finished, textured product! :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
The profile is a bit sleeker:

And the tubes do remind me of Oddgrim's Osiris engine subsystem, so I'll leave it that way... Modeling has to stop at some point.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
BUMP for update: LODs and debris done, texturing in progress. Thanks to Dekker's post on the modding boards I've discovered Krita and I'm enjoying texturing a lot.  :nod:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
yeah, that's seriously awesome looking  :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Aesaar

The speed at which you manage to crank out high quality models amazes me.

Offline Kolgena

The serapis is made of wet cardboard. That is an extremely cheap, easy to procure, and readily manipulated construction material. Of course progress should be as fast as it has been.

Jokes aside, it looks great.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
The speed at which you manage to crank out high quality models amazes me.
Thanks Aesaar, although I am generally slow, I do have intense moments.

And now the Serapis is finished and released, get it from Mediafire
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:59:18 pm by The Dagger »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiit
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Kolgena

aw yiss

Offline Kon

• KonQuesting on Twitch
Wow, I gotta say that I'm surprised you could crank out such a great model so quickly. I never liked the zod paper ship, but this model is a great update. Thanks!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's been added to the FSU internal testing folder.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Skarab

Is it just me or is this missing the glass texture over the cockpit?  Or is it a special vasudan flight suit negating the need for glass on the ship?  Edit: Another question I have regards what looks like it would be another window on the back side of the cockpit area... it's solid in the model and I'm reasonably sure it's intended that way, but what of the idea of turning that into glass as well?  That way you can see Vasudan butt when you maneuver behind it for the kill.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:30:35 pm by Skarab »