Author Topic: GTD Erebus (WIP)  (Read 34612 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Oh, I didn't mean it was your fault.  I know it's Sins' polygon limit.  Really stupid.  Even HW2 doesn't have that, and it's 4 years older.
To be fair, there's not only a huge difference in scale, but I was pretty sure there was a 20k polygon limit that was bypassable if you separated stuff into subobjects in HW2.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline majorvader111

• Don't Puckle With Shuckles
No the problem is sins in general, the game has a 40000 triangle limit which is hardcoded in. which i am starting to get s**ted of with.
Oh, I didn't mean it was your fault.  I know it's Sins' polygon limit.  Really stupid.  Even HW2 doesn't have that, and it's 4 years older.

not to talk about ai being unmoddable, single core processing, 5 weapon limit, 2gb memory limit (now 1.7gb with rebellion). pretty stupid for a 2012 game
STRAYA... Home of Death, Trash Internet & The Police State Downunder.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
To be fair, there's not only a huge difference in scale, but I was pretty sure there was a 20k polygon limit that was bypassable if you separated stuff into subobjects in HW2.
There's a polygon limit, but it's on the higher end of the spectrum (more like around 80k) and I believe it was a problem with CFHodEd (the fan-made tool we use to import ships), not the engine or file format itself.

I managed to get the Solaris in by cutting it into only two subobjects (not counting turrets).

HW2 does have a limit; you can have a 50k poly fighter, but how many of those can you have before it lags the crap out of a computer.
A lot, as long as it doesn't have tons of hugeass textures and uses a low-poly enough collision mesh.

Honestly, HW2 is remarkably scalable. Perhaps more so than FSO.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:51:26 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Norbert-

To be fair, the polygon limit makes more sense in Sins than in did (or would have done?) HW2.

Or how likely is it to see several hundred big ships on screen in HW2?

Just in plain unmodded Sins you can have 20 Capships and depending on which ones of the smaller ships you build you can easily get 200 smaller ones plus all the fighter craft. And now multiply that with the ten players you can have in a game...

Not exactly an enviroment into which I'd want to throw high-poly models.

Offline Shivore

• Acrophobiac
    • Minecraft
Wow, I must say, that is an amazingly beautiful (although very terrifying) warship. Love the gritty yet elegant feel to it.
Tenebrae in memoria, in lucem Somnium

If I EVER find out someone named a ship the Peleliu, I will personally render said ship into FREE FLOATING MOLECULES!!!!

Offline majorvader111

• Don't Puckle With Shuckles
so when do you think we will have a release aesaar?
STRAYA... Home of Death, Trash Internet & The Police State Downunder.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
I'm really happy about the firepower upgrade, the ship felt a little bit underpowered in beam-town compared to the Titan it is allegedly superior to. What about balancing BP missions it is currently in with the additional firepower, though? Will they all still work fine with the upgraded firepower of the primary Tev heavy?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm really happy about the firepower upgrade, the ship felt a little bit underpowered in beam-town compared to the Titan it is allegedly superior to. What about balancing BP missions it is currently in with the additional firepower, though? Will they all still work fine with the upgraded firepower of the primary Tev heavy?

There are not that many missions in which the combat power of an Erebus is actually relevant, you may be surprised to learn. They will come in Act 4 and later, of course, but for now the changee is largely cosmetic.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

There are 3 missions which have an Erebus in combat, 2 in AoA and 1 in WiH. In only one of these is its combat ability actually relevant; the other two are scripted so it doesn't really matter.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well, 4, but one of them sort of happens twice!

If you mean the dream sequence then it falls squarely into the 'scripted' category for obvious reasons.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
True, but the scripting may have to be adjusted if the change in the ships firepower is significant
Stuff

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
What a lovely ship.  Love the Galactica aesthetic.  Prefer it to the Raynor by far.

Offline borizz

What a lovely ship.  Love the Galactica aesthetic.  Prefer it to the Raynor by far.

Same here. It's a lot prettier than the Raynor, and the Raynor is quite nice to begin with.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Very gorgeous, indeed. Aesaar, when are you going to release it to the public? Along with BP2 Act 4 or separately?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Valiran

(...) I'd really like to see someone make an actual HTL of Stratcomm's Raynor, just to see how much their version differs from mine.
Time to shine! *Goes digging for own old Raynor redesigns*

But regardless of what comes of the discussion, I've made my peace with this change. All that is now left are ugly old posts.
BTW, An4ximandros, did you find your old designs?