Author Topic: HLP Newsletter - November 2013  (Read 12925 times)

Offline Axem

HLP Newsletter - November 2013

Novemburrrrrrrrr... So cold, especially here in Canada. Let's try to stay warm as we go through what happened on HLP last month.

*Makes hot chocolate*

One of the grand daddy campaigns of FreeSpace got a facelift thanks to SF-Junky. Derelict is here for 3.7.0. Get your duct tape ready as you embark on those 60 some missions as you fight pirate shivans. Or so I'm told.

Speaking of immense grand daddy campaigns, Inferno has been delayed... to another summer. As unfortunate as it is, we don't come away empty handed... check the modding section for some sweet stuff.

Other than that... nothing super new here. Just make sure you keep up to date with the frequent updates on Frontlines, Shetland, and maaaaybe Just Another Day if you can stand pink text.

Introducing the newest member of the elite newsletter team, our coding correspondent, niffiwan!

I thought I'd help Axem out with his new coding news section, let's see if he'll want me back after this attempt :nervous:

To start with, here's a list the new features which have been committed to trunk in the last month.  These will all be in the latest Nightly Build which are posted (for Windows at least) each day that there is a change to the trunk code (yes, even if the change doesn't affect Windows :)).   So check it out if you're feeling brave or are developing mods, or if you just want to help with testing.  Just remember that the nightlies also have the latest bugs as well as the latest features (but hey, it's better to find bugs in a nightly build than in the next release!)

New features!
  • Added a scripting function for drawing offscreen indicators - zookeeper
  • Added (lots!) more support for ships that change their cockpit orientation in flight (*cough* Bwing *cough*) -  zookeeper
  • Scripting: Access to the CargoSize of a weapon class - m!m
  • Scripting: Access to the AltName of a ship class - m!m
  • Scripting: Access to the actual capacity of a weapon bank - m!m
  • Scripting: Access to the callsign of a ship - m!m
  • Scripting: Access to the alternate ship type of a ship - m!m
  • Scripting: Access to the maximum velocity of a ship with respect to its engine energy level - m!m (I'm hoping to see all these scripts used in the next JAD ;7) (ed: :) )
  • add copy-variable-from-index and copy-variable-between-indexes SEXPs - Goober5000
  • Scripting: Add a function to check if a ship is in the field of view of a turret - Admiral MS
  • Allow setting of background and mask bitmaps for the medal case - Goober5000
  • WebUI-based standalone/dedicated server code for all supported non-Windows platforms (WIP documentation) -  Eli2
  • Allow secondaries to cause shudder effects through use of the Shudder flag - Axem
  • Add SEXPs & script access for ETS getting & setting - niffiwan
  • Add custom sound for SSM strikes - X3N0-Life-Form

Apart from features there's been more bugfixes, support for XCode5 on OSX, refactoring work from Goober5000 to remove some sharp edges from the codebase (memset/memcopy on STL structures can be really *bad*, m'kay?), z64555 is continuing to bring wxFRED2 closer to reality, and lastly, some bugfixes as reported by Coverity (for those that are interested, Coverity is static code analysis tool which helps the SCP find bugs in the codebase, and should lead to a more stable game.  Huzzah!)

It hasn't been committed yet, but zookeeper has done some awesome work with model shield points.  What does this mean?  Basically you can customise a ships shields to account for non-symmetrical models, or to have different numbers of shield segments (like fore & aft from the Xwing/TIE fighter series).  The thread has a lot more info, so go take a look at it.  The patch is just waiting on a code review before being committed to trunk, so if you know how to review code, be doubly sure to take a look!  (it's only a 52kb patch...)

There was an interesting discussion regarding improved CapShip AI.  It seems that Admiral MS has already coded some of these ideas for his RTS mod and the patches in the process of being reviewed.  I know I'm looking forward to seeing these features committed to the FSO codebase, smarter Capships will be very cool!

Lastly, there was also a discussion about having multiplayer hosting always use standalone server.  Currently you can either host multiplayer in your own FSO game, or you can run a separate (Windows only) standalone server.  The planned benefits are that it'll make the code simpler to maintain, and make it easier to test multiplayer, which should hopefully make multiplayer easier to maintain overall (it doesn't get a lot of love at the moment unfortunately).  One step along the way to this is the new WebUI based standalone code submitted by Eli2.  It only works on OSX/Linux currently, so it and the current Windows standalone code would need to be integrated, but it could be a sign of happier days for multiplayer in future. (fingers crossed)

Black Wolf's modelling contest has ended after a 2 week extension, and the results are...

Overall Winner: GVfM Duat by Oddgrim
Shivan Division:  SFg Beelzeboul by fightermedic
Vasudan Division: Oddgrim could only win once, so no actual winner!
Terran Division: Tie: UEFf Murugan by Esarai and GTI Europa by Shivan Hunter
Newcomer Division:  GVB Ammit by Lepanto

Congrats to the winners! I've got some real fun plans for some of the models used! I'm just really sad I couldn't come up with something for this. Oh well, maybe next time.

Also check out the mission that fightermedic made that uses all of the modelling contest ships!

Releases

Anyway, like I was saying before, Inferno has some goodies for us. Redone Vasudan fighters for us to enjoy! 3 fighters, plus the 2 bombers previously released, perfect for filling up the Vasudan fleet in those billion Vasudan campaigns we're all making... right?

BlackWolf threw together a pair of neat ships, both for his Frontlines campaign. The Vasudan Carrier, Ramses and the Terran Bomber Mars (a kitbashed GTB Rhea and with team colors thanks to fightermedic). Isn't it great how these fine campaigns are releasing their ships before the campaign releases?

Lepanto has finally released his (winning) GVB Ammit for the contest! Huzzah and hurrays! Comes with some free missiles too!

Likewise for the contest, esarai tossed out his (winning) Murugan frigate, ready to throw hundreds of railgun shells at Shivans and anyone else that looks at it the wrong way.

Works in Progress

bobbtmann continued his work on the Corellian Corvette, even getting a texture on it.

Col Hornet's got some updates to his GTF Hydra (the heavy Ezechiel/Nyx). Nice beginning on that cockpit there!

whitearrow's Frigate has some cool updates. It's real hard for pictures to do it justice, so check out the p3d in the first post! But I'll try with this front shot with all those railguns.

Steve-O's got some awesome pics of the Durga/Saracen's cockpit and weaponry. You go, Steve-O!

New Stuff
Okay, maybe not so new to people who keep a close eye on the #bp channel on IRC, but the first public pictures of the new GTD Raynor-inspired upgrade, the GTD Erebus by Aesaar has been shown off (but not released... yet)! This will eventually replace the Raynor from BP and anyone else that want's a half battlestar, half star destroyer, half shivan-ass kicking machine.

Everyone loves the Serapis... right? Well, maybe you will like it more with TheDagger putting together an amazing HTL version!

What's more ugly than a TIE fighter bolted to a Y-Wing? I don't know, let's not tempt zookeeper to find out.

DahBlount has a new destroyer in the works, the GTD Nuadha. It looks to boast a mega beam cannon of some sort, which are always so fun! It's also got the beginnings of a texture on it!

Billy Pilgrim's got some neat stuff with cockpits and the RTT panels. Merging the RTT cockpit with the cockpit frames of the fighters, it makes each fighter look a lot more unique. It also makes you notice those annoying cockpit braces!

starbug has begun work on the GTC Bellephron from Inferno (not to be confused with the GTCv Bellephron by Stratcomm). He's got a great start to it and I can't wait to see more!

Lepanto, fresh from his success in Vasudan designs, goes off building a Shivan frigate, the SFg Geryon! Looks like a twisted mechanical space demon. In other words, Shivan.

AndrewofDoom has a fighter for his own mysterious race. The inspired design from Thunder Force and Stellar Assault seems a little simple right now, but lets see how it changes with a texture!

headdie's got some gunship action going. The Vega gunship is perfect for populating your civilian shipping lanes, it just needs a quick coat of paint!

Overachievers Unanonymous

Scooby's got his usual pair of new ships in the works, the heavy bomber Ballista and the heavy fighter Stalker.

0rph3u5 has asked that the spotlight of his campaigns be delayed a bit. No point in picking another campaign this late in the game, so enjoy this kitten video as a substitute.

NEXT MONTH'S CAMPAIGN: The last campaign spotlight of 2013! Let's close off with something special... Uh... Windmills?

Sure..! Lets try that!

by mjn.mixael

Last month's theme was Asteroids. There were very few entries, but they were all quality. It was a tough choice. The winner is...

Axem with this jaw dropping race between the asteroids.

The_E's godray 'roids were my favorite right until Axem posted his... so any complaints can go to Axem!

Screencap Scoreboard:
ssmit132 - 1
X3N0-Life-Form - 1
FreeSpaceFreak - 1
mjn.mixael - 1
Belisarius - 1
MatthTheGeek - 1
knossosfs2 - 1
Betrayal - 1
Aesaar - 1
Axem - 1

No frontrunner yet... just about anybody could be crowned for the year! So, here's your next chance...
November's theme is '2013 Modelling Contest'. Any shot of the new ships or stations submitted in the contest are eligible this month.

Watch those HUD gauges (especially that sneaky FPS gauge) and check out the Screencam Script to help you win a badge and bragging rights. You can see the rules and the previous winners here on the Wiki.

(Ed: I honestly tried to make mjn rethink, but he's gone rogue! Somebody stop him!)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:30:24 pm by Axem »

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: HLP Newsletter - November 2013
Nice one as usual.  posted links in FB and Reddit
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Awesome post.

"Scripting: Add a function to check if a ship is in the field of view of a turret - Admiral MS"

Where can I find more info on this?
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
"Scripting: Add a function to check if a ship is in the field of view of a turret - Admiral MS"

Where can I find more info on this?

Add this as a command line flag (-output_scripting), run FSO then have a look at scripting.html (created in your FSO dir) in a browser.  The new function name is "isTargetInFOV", call it on a subsystem/turret object, give it an object/target and it returns TRUE/FALSE.

boolean isTargetInFOV(object Target)
    Determines if the object is in the turrets FOV
    Returns: true if in FOV, false if not, nil on error or if subsystem is not a turret
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Thanks... in retrospect, I should have just checked the commit log. Looks like it relies on object_in_turret_fov, so it only cares about if the center point is in the FOV.

Thanks... in retrospect, I should have just checked the commit log. Looks like it relies on object_in_turret_fov, so it only cares about if the center point is in the FOV.

Actually object_in_turret_fov takes the object radius as an approximation of the size of the target into the calculation together with the distance to the target. It's the same function that FS uses internally to determine if a turret can hit something.
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor

Actually object_in_turret_fov takes the object radius as an approximation of the size of the target into the calculation together with the distance to the target. It's the same function that FS uses internally to determine if a turret can hit something.
Mrm, you're right, I need to actually read the code instead of making assumptions based on comments. Thanks.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
No mention of the Serapis I'm making... :(

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Too awesome to be mentioned.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Axem is only human, worse even, he's Canadian.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Axem is only human, worse even, he's Canadian.

:yes:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Axem

I have no excuses. Only shame.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
I can easily guess what part of Canada
I bet it's the one that's made international headlines over some stupid scandal that should have been resolved like 9000 months ago
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:54:04 pm by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Axem

Nope. We just have a silly incompetent mayor here, not an extreme crack smoking one, I'm afraid.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Axem for mayor Wait, what am thinking!? You and Dekker :nono:
Holley for president of the United States of Earth!
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!