Author Topic: Descent Freespace on Steam - today (merged from Gaming)  (Read 21478 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Descent Freespace on Steam - today
while I know this wont be a massive issue for FS1, if they do FS2 would the folder default to Program Files\Steam and can this be changed?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well, just copy-paste the VPs out of there. Only the exe would require steam to start, and who needs the retail exe.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline FSW

Interestingly, the FS2 box art is on the FS1 store page.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Figured I'd merge the two topics together in GenFS itself, so that's why Scotty has a random post floating in here now. :p

(Also I wish the stupid forum would automatically create a place-holder for merged topics, like it does for moves.)

So only $3?  Yep...that's copy #4.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:23:18 pm by Mongoose »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Descent Freespace on Steam - today (merged from Gaming)
I see only one problem with it. I wouldn't expect Steam users to do any messing around with moving FS to a new folder. FSO might have to start supporting ProgramFiles to take full advantage of the new userbase.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
YYYYEEEES!!!
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
We are at #30th place in Steam top sellers list.  :pimp:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
They've proven that they can put a FreeSpace game on Steam. Now they can put a good FreeSpace game on Steam heyoooo

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
the video says conflict: freespace at the end.  and granted i haven't seen the original in a really damn long time, but it seemed like way higher quality than what is in the game.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, yeah, the video is higher quality than the game, but it's exactly the same as the (European market) original.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Questions for people with more knowledge of FS (and Steam) than me:
1.  Is there any advantage to buying this if we already have the GOG version?
2.  Could the files from steam (if they release FS2) be used in leiu of the GOG version for FS Open, and all the mods and such? (I'm trying to get my friends to try Freespace)

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour
he awaits with bated breath
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Questions for people with more knowledge of FS (and Steam) than me:
1.  Is there any advantage to buying this if we already have the GOG version?
Not really, unless you feel like being a completionist.  Buy ALL the FS!

2.  Could the files from steam (if they release FS2) be used in leiu of the GOG version for FS Open, and all the mods and such? (I'm trying to get my friends to try Freespace)
Yes, or at least one would presume so.  The Steam version should have the exact same .vp files.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
FSO might have to start supporting ProgramFiles to take full advantage of the new userbase.
There's no requirement to install Steam in \Program Files\. There's no requirement to install Steam games into the Steam folder. There's no requirement to run FSO from the same folder Steam installed FS2 to. FSO's poor handling of long path names does need fixed eventually, but not any more urgently than before.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

the video says conflict: freespace at the end.

That's Freespace's European title.

The "Descent:" part was only in America, for silly copyright reasons.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
FSO might have to start supporting ProgramFiles to take full advantage of the new userbase.
There's no requirement to install Steam in \Program Files\. There's no requirement to install Steam games into the Steam folder. There's no requirement to run FSO from the same folder Steam installed FS2 to. FSO's poor handling of long path names does need fixed eventually, but not any more urgently than before.
Yeah, but guess what. Most people have it installed that way, and I don't think that they're going to go through the trouble of changing it. An average user expects the game to work without additional fiddling on his part. Ideally, the procedure will be:
1. Install FS off Steam.
2. Run FSO installer.
3. Play the game.
Arcane installation procedure has been a hindrance to FSO before. As such, FSO needs to get used to long file paths and being installed in Program Files. WCS already made it's .exe Program Files-compatible (in process making it annoying to get the logs, but it's always a tradeoff...). If we do it like they did we'll just need to fix the filepath bug, assuming it's still a thing.

Offline Luis Dias

The ideal solution is already at least being thought about, the wxLauncher incorporating the FSOInstaller, you just have to open the Launcher, and from within you'll be able to check what you have up-to-date, what you are missing, what new stuff there might be, and you can install whatever you want from it without ever touching the folder structure, then choose the mod, hit "play" and voilá.

I have no idea if the widgets in wxlauncher are "compatible" with the java approach as I have no insight on those languages at all, but at the mere least, if the wxlauncher could do the work to detect stuff like FSOInstaller is already able to do and then you "click" a button and you may launch the installer from the launcher, well. You see what I mean, one program should be able to do it all.

Offline m!m

Arcane installation procedure has been a hindrance to FSO before. As such, FSO needs to get used to long file paths and being installed in Program Files. WCS already made it's .exe Program Files-compatible (in process making it annoying to get the logs, but it's always a tradeoff...). If we do it like they did we'll just need to fix the filepath bug, assuming it's still a thing.
My Compressed-VP builds have support for longer path names and it is also designed with not being able to write to some path in mind so installing to Program Files won't be an issue anymore.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Sounds like it's solved then. It just needs to be tested enough to go into trunk. I think that in light of FS2 probably coming to Steam in the very near future, this should be prioritized. If we do it right, FS2 has a chance of making a comeback on a scale never seen before. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think that in light of FS2 probably coming to Steam in the very near future, this should be prioritized. If we do it right, FS2 has a chance of making a comeback on a scale never seen before. :)

QFT