Author Topic: RELEASED!!!!! 2/3/15 SEE 1ST POST Tython Class Battlecruiser  (Read 10446 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
RELEASED!!!!! 2/3/15 SEE 1ST POST Tython Class Battlecruiser
2/3/15 Thanks to the very kind efforts and generosity of Darius the Tython Battlecruiser has been released!! see page 2 Now the tables supplied are designed for BluePlanet 2 so if you want it to work in vanilla FS2, you will need to change the tbl accordingly

Link http://www.mediafire.com/download/5ttf3bfq5pw4fao/TythonBC.7z

15/10 UPDATE SHES IN GAME!!!! and everything on the model seems to be ok, scaling is fine double checked that the figthers and bombers can use the fighter bay. Just need to set up the turrets and glowpoints, paths etc. One thing i have noticed is that the thruster glows are for some reason offset from the model and i dont know why, they arent in pcs2.

4/10 UPDATE More work on the Hull plating, will it never end LOL. Really happy with how the texturing is coming along, pretty proud of it.

3/10 UPDATE, Added more turrets, modelling is complete and done. Started texturing after unwrapping the main hull 3 times. I am happy with the way its coming but could use some feedback, yes i know i am using a lot of b5 textures. The Upper blue armor is progressing slowly as i have never really done armor plating before, any tips for that?

17/9 UPDATE, Added more details to the hull, and slighty altered the front nose, think i am ready to start the texturing of this thing unless anyone has any major points for the hull?

Just thought i would show of a peek of a Battlecruiser i am working on for a personal mod i am creating in an attempt to improve my modelling/texture skills and to understand modding FS2. So here is the Terran Federation Tython class battlecruiser, to quote Cap Picard "shes a Predator". The way ship designations are going to work in this mod is Destroyer -> Frigate -> Cruiser. So i am pretty happy with how the mainhull has turned out, i have taken inspiration from the Higarran destroyer, B5 Warlock, Steve-O's vexor. As they are some of my favourite ship designs and have come up with this. Now being that this is the first big capship i am properly working on i am not going to go crazy on details, as i am not to good at UV'ing, hence the reason for doing this.

Now i'm not asking for people to do the UV's for me, as i want to learn to do it myself. But i do need some advice and tips on UV something like this, I have seen some models with multiple UVs on a mesh but i am not sure how to do those, something i wasn't taught on my 3d modelling Uni course.

So does anyone have any tips/advice for me on UV'ing a Capital Class ship? Oh yeah i am working with 3ds max 2014.

EDIT: Have now uploaded it to p3d, and added some more details.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:14:38 pm by starbug »
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Re: [WORK IN PROGRESS] Tython Class Battlecruiser
No body have any feedback or advice?

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I wonder why did I miss this. Overall shape is pretty good. Reminds me Infinity warship from Halo series rather than Vexor, but also definitely has Warlock feel. I hope this is not finished product and you are going to add much more details, yeah?

As for the UV, I don't know how to make things in 3ds Max, but rules regarding UVing capitalships are the same in every program. I need some information. How long it's gonna be? And how many polys it's supposed to have?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Yeah got more details to add, haha funny never actually played a halo game no joke. At the moment the length is 2000m, just a tad bigger than a Warlock Destroyer from B5. Poly count is 2500. So got a lot to play with, but not going to go OTT for my first capital. I am setting a limit of 7500. Those were the limits set to us at uni for assignments, as i want the textures to bring out the detail. What are the rules for Capship uv's and texturing? everything i find is for figthers and bombers.

Offline Axem

UV mapping a capital ship isn't too different than a fighter, its just a larger jigsaw puzzle! So keep the map count low (at 7500 you should be okay on 1 map still), but its reasonable to let subobjects like turrets and rotating dishes have their own map.

For the ship itself, its a good start, I love that engine block! I like the slanted armor panels on top too, and I think if you add more of those on the bottom it would look nice. But the front is a little weird in my opinion. That top part just juts out and the part under it is just a flat box. The shape needs work there so its not just a 90 degree angle there. Maybe bring out the bottom a bit forward, or bevel the sides, or add a "bottom" that extrudes out as well.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Pardon lack of feedback had intended to give but was under impression you wanted only responses with the UV-mapping advice (which can't give with max sadly). I really like the look of it so far (am a fan of blocky Tev ships), especially how you've got the armour slightly jutting out on the sides as if it's been placed over the top. Not sure about the 'jaw' at the front bottom jutting out so much (feels out of place to me) but perhaps later in development it'll look better. Agree with Axem on the engine block too btw; looks perfect I'd vote :yes:.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Re: [WORK IN PROGRESS] UPDATE 9/9/14 Tython Class Battlecruiser
Hi guys thanks for the feedback, really helpful :) :). So i have done a wee bit of work on it today, and have added more detail, slightly altered the front section and got turret placement started Turret credit to Steve-O.

So i have done work on the bridge section, added in antenna's and a docking port at the back.

Added a bit more support and detail to the engine section

Lots of antenna's

Poly count with the turrets has taken it up to 26000.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Using Steve-O's cannons, I see. :) Good choice, you can use his turrets for everything, I think. He made a nice selection, I especially like the cannons and the small AA turrets.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Yeah, his turrets fit the design and the lore background of the mod. Quick question does the 20,000 poly count on wiki, is that the whole model including turrerts and subobjects or just the main hull model?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Don't bother with polygon limits too much. Textures are a drag on performance, polygons less so. Just make it look good, it's a 2km long ship, the details are going to be large, and it's not going to appear in big groups, either. FSO will handle it. Scooby Doo makes fighters at near 100k polies, and they work if you don't spam them.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Alrough the guns are a little bit too big, I love this design :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Thanks Betrayal :), must admit this design was not how i originally intended it to look, but the current one i just took to my heart. Anyway i have started the dreaded process of UVwrapping, one thing i always hated doing at uni and still do today, like modelling, texturing and animating but hate UV'in but gotta learn. Also added more turrets and a VLS launcher.

VLS Launchers

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: [WIP] UPDATE 10/9/14 STARTED TO UV Tython Class Battlecruiser
Can you post a P3D, please? It makes it easier for us to get an idea of the shape/proportions/details which in turn makes it easier to praise or criticize aspects of the model.

That being said, I like where this is going. It reminds me of the Halo 1/2 ship aesthetic mixed with Babylon 5's Warlock.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Re: [WIP] UPDATE 15/9/14 P3D ADDED Tython Class Battlecruiser
Added it to P3D for people to view
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:10:55 am by starbug »

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Added it to P3D for people to view
The p3d imbedding in the site doesn't want anything but the model ID from the side, being the random slew of numbers and letters at the end of the url. I'll look at this more in depth tomorrow when I actually have some sleep though, cheers.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
ah right ok, sorted. wasnt 100% sure what was needed in the imbedding.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Neat, I like it. One thing, though. The small turrets seem to be using the old, outdated version. The latest Hyperion has much better ones.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Cool, i will at the updated version on the turrets :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Now I can see the p3d, I can confirm I approve this! :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Re: [WIP] UPDATE 18/9/14 SEE 1ST POST Tython Class Battlecruiser
update see 1st post :)