Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 308891 times)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Re: What are you working on?
LOD0 of NuMesis is 56232[parent] + 149278[children] = 205510 tris in total. The polycount doesn't really matter as long as mesh is properly mapped. Nemesis uses 5 unique textures, but it's not about polycount. I made shivan corvette of about 70k tris and she still use single texture. You just need enough UV space to keep your maps sharp. Amount of unique materials depends fully on amount of surfaces and size of your ship.
Also you don't need detailboxes. I like them, but it's not a neccesity. If your mesh is more than 65536 vertices+normals in total, you can just split the middle part and include it in hierarchy as child of LOD0. See HTL Hades for example.
Huh, and LOD1 of Nemesis is 61488, LOD2 is 18346 and LOD3 is 4902 :P

Okay, thanks for the info.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Retribution GR.7 operated by VA-1983 "Northfists" of the FMN Fleet Air Arm, assigned to the carrier FMS Shinano

Retribution GR.7 "Monsieur LeBrrt" operated by No. 9824 Assault Fighter Squadron, FMAF, based at Laurent AFB, Ville-de-Lis, Continental Vinan Confederacy, Vinan Continent, Moreillia

Techroom briefing:

Retribution GR.7 Assault Fighter
Manufacturer: Imperial Albinionian Lillanedre Aircraft Design Office, Federal Moreillian Aircraft and Spacecraft Company
Operator: Federal Moreillian Air Force, Federal Moreillian Navy Fleet Air Arm
Description: Extremely durable and heavily armed attacker craft designed for assaulting fortified surface/space targets. Famous for its main armament, a 200mm Tempestine "Shock Rifle" capable of penetrating destroyer-class armour, backed up by quadruple GAU-99M1 Marauder 30mm Gatling cannons and generous pylon capacity.

The Retribution owes its creation to the invention of the shock rifle, which was in turn inspired by the Cobert tragedy. The Lumindore factory of Cobert and Company, a precision scientific and medical instruments manufacturer established before the Collapse, was destroyed when ultra-powerful permanent magnets on its MRI scanner assembly lines accidentally propelled mild steel ball bearings at speeds in excess of 2,000 m/s, while only 16 ball bearings were launched in total, it was enough to destroy the entire 358-year-old factory floor, killing 27 employees in the process. One ball bearing, in particular, was found lodged in a public library bookshelf 330 metres from the site of the disaster, having penetrated a total of 6 buildings, an empty bus and 3 full bookshelves in total. Although magnetic weapons were already a mature technology, an electromagnetic weapon small enough to be fitted onto a fighter-sized frame remained unfeasible due to the size and bulk of the capacitors and generators required to operate it. The Cobert tragedy showed that very strong permanent magnets could be used in lieu of electromagnets in a magnetic weapon, if the permanent magnets could be somehow temporarily demagnetised with less effort than powering a electromagnetic weapon of equivalent power.

The result of research to that end was the Tempestine Shock Rifle, able to propel 200mm ferromagnetic rounds at 2,500 m/s at a rate of 1,000 rounds per minute. The Tempestine is known to create extremely powerful shockwaves when fired in atmosphere, which more than doubles its destructive potential compared to its performance in vacuum. Despite being weaker than a capital-class railgun, the Tempestine was the most powerful weapon of its mass and size. However, it remains too large to be adapted into any existing Moreillian fighter. The Tempestine became essentially "a gun waiting for a plane" to carry it.

In 205 AC, it was decided that a new assault fighter airframe would be created specifically to accommodate the gun. Designers looked at previous assault fighters and found the Albinionian Defiant Assault Fighter to be an excellent starting point. Despite being more than 160 years old and bound to an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, the Defiant served many of the same roles as the new assault fighter, up to a similar weapons configuration of a quad array of 30mm Gatling cannons. Much of the new attacker's fuselage was based on the Defiant, but the sheer size of the Shock Rifle required the engines and many other systems to be placed outside the central fuselage. Thus, the attacker was built as a twin-boom aircraft with its engines placed in outboard nacelles. Despite its unconventional configuration, the aircraft is surprisingly cheap, the most expensive component being the Shock Rifle itself. It is also one of the most durable aerospace strikecraft in the Moreillian arsenal, having returned from missions after losing more than 60% of its control surfaces, one engine and hydraulics. After an incident when a flight of Retributions were heavily damaged by the lead plane firing a Tempestine shot, pilots are instructed not to fire their shock rifles when flying in close formation to prevent damaging friendly aircraft.

Spoiler:
The Retribution was still undergoing operational evaluation in 209 AC when the Narnian War broke out. After the high-profile assassination of Council President Tollen Akari and Jadis' sudden invasion of Moreillian and Calormene territory, the Retribution was rushed into front-line service in a desperate bid to halt the advance of the White Witch's army. After several victories where Moreillian Retributions played an instrumental role, it was decided that the Retribution was to be immediately greenlit for mass production. Moreillia's Calormene allies, in particular, clamoured for the new assault fighter to be exported as military aid, stating that the fighters were "as important to [their] armies as water and shelter from the sun." Eventually, 120 Retribution GR.3 aircraft were provided to the Republic of Calormen Space Corps on a lend-lease basis, where they performed a series daring raids in support of ground forces. Due to the ground-based nature of the Narnian War, wartime Retribution production was prioritised over other types and a total of 1,350 were built by the end of the war. 16 were lost in the war for varying reasons, but only 5 were shot down in battle and 8 returned to base after sustaining heavy damage, but were written off afterwards, aptly demonstrating the Retribution's resilience.

Weapon stats, if I end up deciding to mod it in FS (firerate stepped down by a factor of 10 from the "actual" rate for sanity reasons):

Name   GAU-99M1 Marauder 30mm Rotary Cannon
Range   1 300 m   
Rate of fire   6.50 s-1   
Velocity   1010 ms-1   
Damage   15   
Armor damage   15   
Shield damage   12   
Subsystem damage   4.5

Name   Tempestine 200mm Shock Rifle
Range   2500 m   
Rate of fire   5.00 s-1   
Velocity   2500 ms-1   
Damage   30   
Armor damage   30   
Shield damage   30   
Subsystem damage   30
(Huge, Shudder)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:56:13 pm by Autohummer »

Offline mr.WHO

Where all this ammuniton for 4 miniguns goes into? Or is it have like total 2 seconds of consecutive fire?
I don't even ask for 200mm main gun.

I'm guessing it's using the same kind of inflatable ordnance technology commonly found in the Freespace universe (and various other games). You know, the thing that allow you to carry a bazillion missiles, or torpedoes bigger than your fighter.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
There's a matter-energy replicator instead of a magazine.  It replicates the round in the chamber.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

There's a matter-energy replicator instead of a magazine.  It replicates the round in the chamber.

Yeah, but taking videos of how the bullets are replicating in their chamber is strictly prohibited by GTVA High Command ;)

Bear with me, I did spend time figuring out how to fit so many bullets into the thing before I did it.

If these drawings are to be trusted, the ammo drum for the GAU-8 is actually not as big as one may think. Also, the Marauder gun fires 30mm caseless rounds, so in theory the size of a cartridge would be smaller than the 30×173 mm used in the Avenger, thus allowing more rounds to be carried in the same volume. I estimate the ammunition available for each gun to be same as that of the A-10, 1350 rounds. Total sustained firing time is about 17 seconds. (possible bad maths warning!)

The rest of the fuselage is completely taken up by the shock rifle, its mechanisms, generators and ammunition storage. Although it can fire 1000 rounds per minute, only 500 rounds can be crammed into the ammunition bay (it literally fires 200mm mild steel ball bearings), meaning it has only sufficient ammunition for 30 seconds of sustained firing. (possible bad maths warning!)

The Retribution is thus extremely dependent on ammunition resupplies compared to, say, a Herc, but it isn't abusing hammerspace. Yet.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:50:56 am by Autohummer »

Offline mr.WHO

Bear with me, I did spend time figuring out how to fit so many bullets into the thing before I did it.

If these drawings are to be trusted, the ammo drum for the GAU-8 is actually not as big as one may think. Also, the Marauder gun fires 30mm caseless rounds, so in theory the size of a cartridge would be smaller than the 30×173 mm used in the Avenger, thus allowing more rounds to be carried in the same volume. I estimate the ammunition available for each gun to be same as that of the A-10, 1350 rounds. Total sustained firing time is about 17 seconds. (possible bad maths warning!)

The rest of the fuselage is completely taken up by the shock rifle, its mechanisms, generators and ammunition storage. Although it can fire 1000 rounds per minute, only 500 rounds can be crammed into the ammunition bay (it literally fires 200mm mild steel ball bearings), meaning it has only sufficient ammunition for 30 seconds of sustained firing. (possible bad maths warning!)

The Retribution is thus extremely dependent on ammunition resupplies compared to, say, a Herc, but it isn't abusing hammerspace. Yet.

Well done dude, this really bring better light to entire model.
Also 17s and 30s of sustained fire is not bad (enough to be practical for the game, but not too much to be unplausible) - I was very suprised when I first found out what is the firight time/capacity of real life fighters.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The inner diameter of one of those barrels is tiny compared to the ammo drum.   Belt fed will hold loads.  Buuut there is a reason it's brrrrt brrrt brrrrt.   Not brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Side project stuff.

Credits: Nyctaeus for the Fenris. Axem for the HUD. Might revert to the base HUD unless I can find a way to keep those messages there longer.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:40:26 pm by Colt »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
:yes:

A small note: HTL Fenris has separate debris texture, but this one also fits to main hull. If you use Texture Replacement and replace FenrisMain with FenrisDead, you will get awesome-looking hulk :]. All of my newer PBR models have this feature.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
:yes:

A small note: HTL Fenris has separate debris texture, but this one also fits to main hull. If you use Texture Replacement and replace FenrisMain with FenrisDead, you will get awesome-looking hulk :]. All of my newer PBR models have this feature.
Hah! Thanks for the heads-up. I completely forgot I could do that.

Here's an updated (and now slightly beaten) version of it. Also tossed on a damaged nameplate to complete the look. :p

Nice detail! :yes:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Remember about changing FenrisMain-reflect to FenrisDead-Reflect :P. Same with -normal.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Remember about changing FenrisMain-reflect to FenrisDead-Reflect :P. Same with -normal.

Results count in the end; doing above is a good way to achive results, but you can experiment on that. When I made a derelict ship I mixed alive and debris Textures intentionally, the dissonance between the maps created a more unique look. You'll have a chance that it looks totally broken too.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Variant of PeterV's Arpyia. The mesh suffered from numerous issues, so I purged PeterV's sins and replaced with mine :D. I also reworked her maps to look more classic. Will appear in Act II of Scroll of Atankharzim :].

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Now I'm even more excited for Scrolls 2. :nod:

Results count in the end; doing above is a good way to achive results, but you can experiment on that. When I made a derelict ship I mixed alive and debris Textures intentionally, the dissonance between the maps created a more unique look. You'll have a chance that it looks totally broken too.
Unfortunately the skybox's reflection is amplified when I changed them to the dead-reflect versions. Looks pretty nice with main and greeb replaced though. :yes:

Now I'm even more excited for Scrolls 2. :nod:

Good decision. :yes: :yes:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

...and this screenshot from the darkest depths of NyctiShipyards. For you guys to know what just received top priority :]

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
That's some Level Phi intel there. Looking forward to seeing the best ship in the game look even nicer. :D