Author Topic: HLP's Darkest Dungeon - Week 6 (2 unclaimed Heroes); First Death  (Read 32099 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Re: HLP's Darkest Dungeon - Week 5 (3 unclaimed Heroes)
--Lepanto's Personal Diary--

The Light has blessed me with the power to heal the body (as my fellows can attest time and time again), but the wounds of the mind are shifting and tenacious. While I no longer jump at the slightest approach, my meditation has failed me for the first time since I was a mere novice. Where once I found tranquility, I now find only the same creeping anxieties and fears.

At least Lorric has found release from the pride in his heart, though his newfound self-righteous zealotry disturbs even me.

They say that suffering is a redemptive gift from the Light. In that case, I and my fellows have been blessed beyond all measure. And poor StarSlayer doubly so.
---

I'll go with B, if that's the best decision for you.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
TrashMan's log:

The situation is dire indeed. The evil has taken deep root here and it will take many forays to cleanse it.
Luckily for me, my companion have proven very competent.
Starslayer, the leper, proved that tough his body is scarred, his faith is strong and his hand true. The sword he wield is a massive brute, poorly balanced compared to mine, but it hits harder. Having him at the front line with me was a boon.
While I did not trust deathfun, with his background of criminal activity, he did prove useful. His dagger is quick and his pistol very handy. Maybe he will find redemption on this holy quest.
Scourge of Ages remains a mistery to me. Although I have been among the group for a few days now, I have never seen her without the mask. Still, beneath those robes she seems to be in good physical shape. She moves quick, knows how to handle a dagger and the potions and stun bombs are very handy indeed.

We made good progress as we descended into the warren. I am familiar with pigmen and their brand of corruption, but what worries me is the number of bandits and cultists we encountered. While they fall to my blade just as easily, their numbers suggest this area seems to call those of evil intent, like a siren of legend.
The battle was fierce and we were unstoppable. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I made a rookie mistake and left myself open at one point, with predictable result. The hit nearly killed me and I'm going to need some time to recuperate before the next quest, but while the body may be weak, the will is strong. I have been tested - we all have - and I have not been found wanting. Scourge of Ages also demonstrated her resolve and strength of mind, at this alleviates some of my fears.

All in all, this trip was a resounding success.
I now go the Abbey to pray and rest. There will be more tests to come. I must be ready.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
With Lepanto, the Heroes only dedicated hero, currently resting for the her last forray in the Weald.
What? The rest of us aren't dedicated heroes, only Lepanto??? :hopping:

Heh. I think you meant "healer". :)

It's a typo and a reminder I shouldn't be doing these around Sunday midnight ... also it is too cool to change it now :)

And that just leaves one little thing...

It's dangerous outside. I'll take this

Short PSA: I will have to skip the session this weekend because I've got a paper due on the 31st and I'm behind on my scheudle (also Pillars of Eternity)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

Re: HLP's Darkest Dungeon - Week 6 (3 unclaimed Heroes); First Death
On account of the date (no, no silly April fools here*) I'll delay the post on the session I played earlier (the one that was supposed to be on the last weekend) - suffice it to say, things didn't go well (4 Heroes went down, 3 came back)

Updated the first post with the relevant facts - full post will follow tomorrow

* I orginally wanted to make a post with one of the same style but with images from Rogue Legacy ... but that game is way to frantic for this format
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:30:13 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Lorric

Graveyard:
Lorric - Crusader
:sigh:

I suppose it is what is. I was enjoying it a lot, but someone had to die first. And hey, at least no one died straight out of the gate, I got a few missions and RP posts in. It was good while it lasted.

Good luck to the rest of you. Fight well in my memory and write nice eulogies please. :)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Go on I will throw my name into the ring for the hellion
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline 0rph3u5

Re: HLP's Darkest Dungeon - Week 6 (2 unclaimed Heroes); First Death
Go on I will throw my name into the ring for the hellion

Done, welcome aboard - Your character may die soon, have a nice stay ;)

And now for 'The Tragedy of the Crusader Lorric'

Under the leadership of Lepanto, who by now has been elevated to the statue of 'local hero', another expedition into the dark reaches of Ruins assembles at the edge of the Hamlet. To the Vestal leading in back comes her Brother of the Faith, Lorric. Both are joined by two for who this expedition is not a service to the God but for their own agendas; the foreign Occultist and the Bounty Hunter Patriot.

They may be an alliance of convenience but that does not diminish their fighting prowess, surely these four can undertake a longer excursion into the monster-infested depths.

But by the time they organize their provisions a flaw in their plan appears...

Gold is in sort supply for our Heroes and thusly only the most basic of provisions can be bought.
(... and that will come back to haunt this quest)

The Ruins are familiar terrain and our Heroes enter them without hesitation.

The first creatures to register our Heroes' newest foray are two Skeletons, conveniently placed as sentries near the entrance to this part of the ruins - as if some dark power was expecting intruders.

Yet the unliving ramble is hardly a match for our Heroes:

While the Skeletons did not carry any items of value, soon after their guard post a crate filled with heirlooms is found and looted.

Proceeding further the flickering light of their torches reveal to the Heroes a Shrine to the God. While it is nothing but a crumbling mess to others, Lorric approaches the Shrine...

... and as he steps ever closer a halo begins to surround the Crusader and images of the God and his Servants will his heart.
Although the shrine crumbles as he touches it, Lorric is now convinced to be blessed and he grips his sword with a previously unknown determination.

The first room the Heroes arrive in is crumbled study, as there are so many in the Ruins. There is nothing of note there.

Proceeding now in the opposite direction, as the ruined study had been a dead end, the Party comes across torture implements which have been unceremoniously dumped into the hallway. Again, aside from the odd placement of such devices, nothing of note happens as the Heroes investigate them.

Another room reveals itself to be empty for anything but some recently disturbed dust. But as to who disturbed this section of the Ruins, no trace can be found.

Venturing on, the Heroes come across another object which is seemingly out of place in his place - a Confessional. Fearing a dark trick, Lepanto pulls back the curtain, torch in hand....

... whatever transpired in the next minutes is not for me to tell, but suffice it to say that the Vestal return to the group as if a great weight as lifted from her shoulders. And that her eye-sight can once more adapt to the dark.
("The hero is absolved a sin" - "Night Blindness Quirk has been removed."; I am not making this up - Sins and Punishments are weird)

The next room the Party enters is an enigma, a crypt connected to the rest of the crumbleing estate like just another room. But our Heroes do not have time to ponder this strange design, because the room is guarded by two Cultists and their undead minions.

While these Cultist might be worshiping the Powers of the Abyss as their 'Old Gods' they are not immune to it's gripping influence once it is conquered into this reality.

But not just dark and eldritch powers can fell these Cultist - Steel and faith are capable as well.

The reward for this victory is forthcoming as the crypt contains a stash of treasure ... but no trace of the dead that were supposedly laid to rest here.

As the Heroes move forward once more, another Confessional (srsly?) is revealed. What motivated Lorric to step forth and seek guidance here is not known, only that through the words of the God he found a peace in himself.

(Lorric lost the "God Fearing"-Quirk)

Heaps of crushed bones and broken skulls fill the next room. Oddly there are no marks that identify the weapon(s) used to inflict this damage upon the bodies before or after death.

A nearby display case holds a precious artefact of the Family, but it is out of reach for our Heroes as the locking mechanism is not only broken beyond repair but in a dark twist the poisoned needle-trap to 'discourage' thieves is still working.

Proceeding onwards the Party comes across another group of undead sentries, but they appear to be as dull-witted as they are fleshless. Whatever Necromancer cursed these bones with un-life is not a master of the dark magic - or these are his/her earliest creations on a path to mastery...

Combat is swiftly resolved against such slow enemies.

Another room just like the last one opens up before our Heroes but here the dust and mold bear marks of being disturbed recently.

As the Party comes up on another Confessional (the lost one for this quest - insert random number generator joke here), at this junction Lepanto and Lorric urge Patriot (after lenghy theological debate) to enter and be absolved.

Suffice it to say that it didn't work out as planned.

Procceding on a side path into the Ruins, the Party comes across another group of two undead....

... which prove to be no match for our Heroes.

("I should bring a shovel on the next quest" - "Oh damn, I can't affort the damn shovel unless I cut into the food-provisions")

("Damn, I should have bought that shovel")

As they reach the end of their current path, the Party enters a sheltered room which a group of Cultists have chosen as their camp.

The undead that accompany the Cultist are unusual for such lowly practioners.

Forced to contend with the Cultists' dark magic, which tempts the mind and scars the soul, Lorric reaches his breaking point:

And while Lorric's psyche crawls into itself, Patriot once more steps up to do the deed.

A favour quickly repaid by the hard shield bash from the armoured Skeleton in the front:

But the Vestal's arts can prevent his death at least on this day.

Reminded of the danger they face, the Heroes put their talents at combat to good use and dispatch their enemies without further delay.

And of course loot befitting this victory is won.

Victory and gain cannot however end hunger and fatigue, so the Party repuroses the Cultists' camp and set up their own to eat and rest for the night. In order to silence their rumbling bellies the majority of their rations is thrown into the pot....

... and while the food cooks, Lorric gives a Zealous Speech to remind everyone of their purpose.

Meanwhile the Occultist and the Vestal care from Patriot's wounds ... using traditional and non-traditional methods.

TBC  (be right back with the other half of the quest - fellow has got to eat sometime too)

After having rested and healed (and not being ambushed) the Party sets out to cleanse the rest of this portion of the Ruins.
Their efforts are rewarded once more by the discovery of the more Family Heirlooms.

A day's work from our Heroes includes slaying some undead, and there are still a number of them to be dealt with.

But putting the undead to their eternal rest as become a trivial task for our Heroes and so they are triumphant once more.

Loot clearly is not an issue on this quest:

As they continue on, onto the last leg of this Quest, our Heroes once more encounter the Undead. Even by the standards of reanimated corpses these are sluggish and stupid creatures so that the Party can easily catch them unaware.

Through some forced repositioning the weaker undead enter Lorric's reach...

... and with a quick jab the Foreigner's sacrificial dagger dissolves a second enemy.

But as victory draws near the one of Undead appears to have been darkly empowered and his strike hits hard, nearly bringing Lorric to his knees through sheer force...

... to which the Crusader responds with another exorcising Accusation which fells the Skeleton Soldier in retaliation...

... yet the dark force invigorating the other Skeleton is not dispelled. On the contrary it appears to be strengthened by the opposition from the Crusader...

... and where light cannot dispell the darkness, a darkness must be turned on itself.

With these Undead now felled as well the Party begins to search this room for anything of value. Lorric's eyes are strangely drawn to an ancient suit of armour...

... which despite of rust and neglect reveals traces of the dark secrets of these Ruins, empowering the Lorric to fight here with greater power. (Lorric gains "Ruins Tactician")

Up until this point one might assume this expedition has been favoured by some divine being, maybe even by the God itself. But as it is with all such favours, they fickle and of little use when direly needed.

This part of the story is dull and uninteresting.

Moving on, the Party encounters another group of Undead - but unlike in previous encounters these animated bones are quite aware and awake...

But their vigour is add odds with the swiftness by which they are destroyed:

Again, a shovel is needed but nowhere to be found, so our Heroes did with their bare hands, endangering their health and sanity through the hard work in the darkness.

Staying in the unexplored darkness has chipped away at Patriot's sanity, driving his self-hate to the surface.

After haveing cleared the rumble away the Party comes across what was meant to be hidden...

... which is another abandoned study with nothing else of note in it.

Worse than the hostile Cultists and creatures in these Ruins are the Traps that envious students of the arcane, occult and/or macabre have laid out against their peers. Lorric falls for one such trap and it wounds him gravely.

(Note to self, never to try to disarm a trap with a Crusader)

Trusting that Lepanto will be able to safe Lorric from the clutches of Death at her earliest convince the Party proceeds onwards to fight the final confrontation of this quest - which in keeping with the previous steps of this journey is a group of Undead...

... but these creatures still possess some skill they might have had in life. A Skeleton Soldier is swift to lunge forward and swing his old yet sharp blade at Lorric. Worn from combat the Crusader's armour does little to weaken the force of the strike...

... the Crusaders breastplate is sliced open and the blade enters the between the rips, biting into the lungs and finally stopping, logged into the heart. Before any of the Party can come to his aid the Crusader drops, bleeding from his terrible wound.
As he bleeds out he can feel the divine favour which seemed to have accompanied his mission to the HLP Manor receding. As darkness engulfs his mind, a new sensation come to the forefront of his mind: An odd voice, both melodic and rasping at the same time, is .... singing? ... or is it laughing?

Revenge for the holy warrior comes from someone wholly unexpected as the Occultist's reaction fast and precise, his dagger quickly hitting a crucial point in this reality and the other...

... collapsing the magic that keeps the killer Skeleton in its unliving state. Surely such display of dark lore could have felled any other undead just as well, but why did the Occultist decide to strike this Skeleton, the weakest of the enemies before the Party fist?

To avenge their fallen comrade the rest of the Party now attacks furiously, seeking to end this confrontation swiftly and decisively - so that even the determined resistance from the Undead cannot keep them from turning this loss of one of their own into a victory.

Once the Undead have fallen, the sad duty to collect up all the Loot remains. Among the remains of the Skeletons, Lepanto makes an unlikely find:

A Youth Chalice, a holy object to any Vestal, had been in the possession of one the Skeletons.

Meanwhile the Occultist gathers up a strange unnaturally formed stone which he spotted in the remains of the Skeleton that killed Lorric. It was all the properties of a Damage Stone, a common magical trinket often created by first-year apprentices ... but there is a strangeness to it that is not yet explained.

While Victory has already been achieved, there is still some ground to cover and to explore. The party moves on to bring back every last scrap of from this part of the Ruins, so one of their own will at least have died for something (even that something is just a pay-out). And their curiosity is both rewarded and punished:
While finding some more Heirlooms, Lepanto stumbles across a pile of books...

... books of dark lore which she should not have touched. What she read there amplified her grief over the loss of Lorric hundred-fold, causing her to lash out at the Occultist and the Bounty Hunter.

With nothing left to explore the Party returns to the Hamlet ... If this Victory makes them feel like victors, they will have to determine on their own.

Quirks gained:
- Patriot gains Amateur Weaponsmith (-20% Upgrade Cost for Weapons)
- ... gains Night Owl (+2 Speed when the Torch burns low)
- Lepanto gains Amateur Weaponsmith and Shocker (- 10% Stun resistance)

The Hamlet in Week 6

deathfun, TrashMan and Scourge of Ages recovered from the their last quest, each of them loosing their affliction, and StarSlayer has been cured of his Zoophobia while Lepanto, Patriot and ... were out.

As news reaches the Hamlet that one of our Heroes has passed beyond the Veil, not just our Heroes but many of the townsfolk gather in the Graveyard to commemorate the fallen Lorric.

(Eulogies will be linked here)

At the Stage Coach meanwhile no suitable recruits can be found.
(But if anyone wants to claim either the Crusader, Leper or Bounty Hunter, they can say so until Sunday.)

After the service in honour to Lorric, Heirlooms obtained on his last quest are donated to the Abbey to improve their services.

StarSlayer retreats to the Cloister to recuperate after his stay in the Sanatorium.

At the same time, Patriot and Lepanto take to the Tavern to drink and gamble.

And to close up, here are the next four choices for a quest:

A:

B:

C:

D:

Next Session will be on Sunday or Monday, so cast your votes until then.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:36:51 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Yer have the game myself so fully aware of the perils and that some time death is perhaps the merciful end
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Lorric

Can you not heal out of battle? You were forced to take Lorric into battle where one blow would kill him?

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
the only way to heal out of battle is to consume food and during the camping sections if you go the the longer expeditions.

The game is from the outset designed to screw you over hard which is it's charm, it is rarely unfair but it is also *VERY* unforgiving of mistakes, misplays, and misunderstandings of the game mechanics

Offline Lorric

Ah. And I think all the food got eaten. It does seem a bit much not to be able to use healing magic when not in a battle though. I mean that just seems like common sense and a basic RPG mechanic.

Lepanto has a lot to answer for. First the deciding vote to take us to the place of my death, and then she couldn't be bothered to heal me while I'm at death's door, so I died. :D

Maybe I'll be along later to have a word or two with her...

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Good. Good turnout. Thank you for gathering to remember Lorric. He was always fighting for your sake, for all our sakes, you know? Always out in front. Always taking the hits that would have felled us adventurers, so we could keep fighting to purge the evil that still threatens you all.

I-I know, as a woman of the Church, I should be saying something inspiring, right? But, even on his worst day, I didn't have half the presence and drive that he did. His hearty battle cries always rang in my ears, and I'm sure we'll all be hearing them in our heads for quite a while to come.

To address the rumors already spreading: I confess that my own haste and inattention did play a role in his death. I can only ask that you, and he, forgive me.

He had his faults, like all of us. But he tried to overcome them, despite facing terrors that pushed us all to our physical and mental limits. I hope that the Light has seen his honest valor, and has granted him eternal benediction.

May perpetual Light shine upon you, Lorric. Rest in peace.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline Lorric

Awww. I can't send my ghost after you now. :)

I thought that was genuinely touching with the music in the background.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
My vote is on A

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thanks.  :)

My vote is for exploring the Ruins. Let's find the boss and finish it off, for Lorric's sake.

Scourge's Log, Week 6:

There's this kid in the hamlet, we pay him as a sort of watchman, he'll ring a bell and call out when stuff happens. So we all heard as soon as the team was first spotted in the distance, shambling toward the gate. We all gathered as they drew closer, and the three silhouettes resolved into individuals. Yeah... three.

I knew what had happened. I saw it in the dark, sunken eyes of Patriot and the Occultist. And I saw it on Lepanto's dusty, streaked cheeks.

As they trudged past, I just wanted to hug them all, they really looked like they needed it... but I couldn't. Instead, I just clasped my hands, and lowered my head as they passed. If it weren't for my mask, I probably would have broken down right there.

I spoke a bit at Lorric's memorial, after Lepanto opened. Here's a copy of my written speech, I don't know how much I was actually able to speak:

"Lorric died as he lived: bleeding.

"He has been at the front of every party, shielding us from unholy monsters and brutal maniacs, sacrificing his body and never complaining. This time was no different. I heard the reports: Where any of us would run, or hide, or cower behind our softer companions, Lorric was never that way. He knew he would die if he took another blow, but he did it anyway to protect his friends.

"Lorric, like all of us, fought demons. There are the ones in the dungeons, and the ones in ourselves. Lorric's attitude toward both were the same: fight with flesh and faith, give all you have, and don't stop. There is no doubt in my mind that his God is looking favorably on him now.

"We would all be lucky to live as well or die as nobly."

The fight must continue though, this all needs to mean something. Next week, four more of us will be heading back in.

I cast my vote for Option C, a cleansing raid of the Warrens.

Offline Lorric

I've been pondering whether or not I'd like to come back into this with another crusader, with some connection to Lorric. Since one's available, and you're going to throw him out if no one picks him up, I'd like you to give him to me. I don't want to firmly decide I want to do that then wait potentially weeks and weeks for one to come in off the coach.

And hey, it could be good to do it now, comes looking for Lorric and arrives just too late and finds him dead.

Scourge, I might be able to use your latest piece as a basis for that arrival. Need to come up with a new name for this one. Can't call him Lorric now, can I? (Well, I can, but it will complicate things. :D) So I won't.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:41:43 pm by Lorric »

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I've been pondering whether or not I'd like to come back into this with another crusader, with some connection to Lorric. Since one's available, and you're going to throw him out if no one picks him up, I'd like you to give him to me. I don't want to firmly decide I want to do that then wait potentially weeks and weeks for one to come in off the coach.

And hey, it could be good to do it now, comes looking for Lorric and arrives just too late and finds him dead.

Scourge, I might be able to use your latest piece as a basis for that arrival. Need to come up with a new name for this one. Can't call him Lorric now, can I? (Well, I can, but it will complicate things. :D) So I won't.

Twin brother who trained with Lorric, arrives at the hamlet, torn between their desire for revenge, their holy vows demanding their actions being above such base emotions and guilt over not being their for the brother.

Offline Lorric

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm going to go with best friend though. Not necessarily Lorric's best friend, but Lorric was the new crusader's best friend. The wheels are turning in my head already.

I think I'll try and make this character more serious. You know, less of the "I am the sword of Justice!" and "For justice, honour and faith!" Not as cheesy. I was thinking to send Lorric that way as the story went on, but that can't happen now.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Not long after leaving the Guild Hall did another venture out into the Weald catch the attention of the people I've come to associate with. It didn't matter much, I wasn't going with them this time either... still much to take care of with myself. Best to be at the top of my abilities lest I bring down the group more than I had already. I was certain I was being excluded, but perhaps not for the reasons I thought initially. They don't trust me, not that I can blame them for that, and my melancholic demeanour would only serve to sully the good that they think we are doing here.

Who the hell cares? Gold, riches, adventure, all that could be had elsewhere in far more... natural... places. Places that aren't filled with what can only be described as an unnatural presence brought on by the previous owner of this House. Rot, decay, makes it hard to believe that at one point this might've been a thriving bastion of... something.

Watching the four 'heroes' march off to patrol the surrounding area brought a thought to my head: What happens to us when we die? In a vile place such as this with cultists roaming around with their skeleton 'friends'... are we simply destined to become one of those skeletons? Controlled by the backwater bastards to do their bidding?

Not something I would enjoy thinking about. I need a drink, a stiff one.

---------------------------

Commotion brought my eyes to look out the window. Seems like there were new comers, but not of the venturing out type. Opening the door to the Tavern, I walked out into the muddy street and find myself looking at some people moving gear and supplies into the Hospice. What were they doing?

My answer came as what seemed like their representative walked out and sauntered over towards the returning group. Had it been that long since they left?

Doctors and nurses they were, armed with some modern medicine to aid us in our cause provided we required it.

Hasn't even been that long and this place is starting to seem a little bit more... homely. Hell, even a troupe of carpenters rolled in, following the Doctors and Nurses. Wasting no time, they began building us better lodgings to which I will definitely not complain. While the tent I had been spending my time in was private, most of me ended up covered in mud the following morning or whenever the hell it was I woke up. That god damned sun, or light, or whatever the hell made the sky red in these parts, gave no good sense of time.

Hopefully they don't ask for any gold

Least things have been looking up, those that just came back showed a particular proud accomplishment in their posture.

My slumber was rudely awakened by someone yelling out my name, requesting that I get up and ready. Suppose it was about time wasn't it. I wouldn't say I was yearning for another outing into the veil, but I do need to contribute, or at least provide the semblance of my assisting around here. Grabbing my coat, knife and pistol sling, I move outside to meet up with one of the new comers, Trashman, and two others, StarSlayer and Scourge.

Nodding to Scourge, I fasten my belt and sling once more to ensure that it's ready for our search for the entrance to the Warrens.

Unbeknownst to me, a lone traveler had recently found his way into town. Well, more along the lines of dragging given he was missing a few parts. Could say the trip cost him an arm and a leg!

No one found the humour amusing, so I slink back to the rear of the group and continue listening to the story. We were on a hunt for his captors, creatures that were half man, half pig. Our task was to find where this place was based on his rough sketch, and kill these beasts lest they take another pour soul and ruin my appetite for anything pork. Actually, I think I already can't stand the idea of a full roast pig anymore...

Lacking any sort of proper healer, this trip was going to be a difficult trek if we found ourselves taking more blows than we dish out. Rations weren't by any means plentiful, and the ability for anyone to tend to the wounds was elementary at best. Bad feelings were already brewing in my stomach, but a quick drink from the flask I had with me stemmed it for the time being. Alas, it was the last of the liquor I had on me so from here on I only had my wits and dark humour to keep me sane.

Our journey along the path beset by our former guide who now rests with the many others claimed by this land was short, and relatively uninteresting. Nothing more than dead trees, rotting plants and a stench that implored people to stay away. I don't see how anything we do here could possibly repair this **** hole. To me, this entire place was too far gone for its own good.

StarSlayer stopped the group and pointed just to our right. There it was, the entrance, guarded by nothing more than dead vines and an incredible odour which seemed to emanate from inside the darkness before us.

Amazing that there was something that had a more pungent smell than the territory that surrounds it. No matter, we enter and prepare ourselves for whatever horrors we may find. Pigmen, abominations by the sound of it, and apparently not something to be trifled with.

Not long after entering the Warrens did we come across some loot. According to one of the group, this isn't uncommon to the ways of these creatures. Hoarders, the lot of them. Great news for us, but the feeling began to come back that there was a catch for the easy loot.

Sure enough, we were not the only ones who came here looking for a fight and some easy gold. Three hooded bandits greet us with unsheathed blades and show no intention to talk it out. StarSlayer takes the first hit after a great deal of footwork leading to many missed opportunities. As swift as they were, the first strike was followed by us crushing them down with ease. There was something to be said for large swords, and that something was demonstrated in this moment.

Wasting no time, the four of us dwelled deeper into the dampness below, our feet crackling the bones beneath and our noses becoming more used to the stench that only grew stronger. Scourge leaps forward in a brief moment of excitement as she finds scrolls laying around, perhaps of use. As it turns out, they were nothing more than the mundane transactions of what was probably a caravan that fell victim to a pigmen raid. Not only was there junk laying around everywhere, but evidence that these Warrens were once populated by some ancient people. What happened to them is uncertain, but from my astute observations, it was most likely not pretty.

Our path came to an abrupt halt as a crude wall of various different pieces of rubble prevented us temporarily from proceeding onwards. Once again, we look to one another as if implying that someone forgot to bring a shovel despite being told. Regardless, our hands were enough for the job and we take it apart within a decent amount of time.

Not long after we clear the rubble we find what seemed like a camp setup by bandits with gear still stowed away in one of the backpacks. Seems like they weren't aware of the dangers in these Warrens and got caught by pigmen either coming from, or going to their keep deeper inside.

My anxiety was beginning to crop up as the visual evidence of the pigmen was strewn across this unholy place we find ourselves exploring, but the lack of pigmen gave chills down my spine. Where the hell were they?

Sounds echoed from the next room... and there they were. Four grotesque beings that begged to be removed from this world for simply being an abomination, a black mark on evolution. Our presence was meant with what appeared to be a form of shock as they turned around to find us at their feet. Appears their lack of intelligence works to our advantage, allowing us the element of surprise! Either that, or they don't expect visitors geared only to smite them where they stand.

Scourge proves her adept skills at alchemy, blinding the enemy while Trashman brings down a lance upon them. Seeing the wounded fiend, I put it out of its misery with a single shot. A swift death was more than it deserved, but I wished not to prolong any of the fights in here. The smell was offending my nostrils more and more, I may not be able to taste food after this! Formidable is not a word I would use for these four in particular as our blades finish them off once and for all. Unfortunately, there was no break and we found ourselves face to face with once again, Cultists.

What's worse, is the pigmen seem to follow these bastards. I doubt they meant much to the Cultists, acting no more than fodder for our blades. Today however, the fodder served them terribly as we cut through them (pun intended) without problem. My blade found its way to their neck, severing anything important. The gurgles from their attempts at breathing, hands grasping at their throats, gave me satisfaction. Strange, given how I never found myself satisfied with taking a life before arriving here. This place... was starting to make me more primitive I suppose. I wipe my blade on their skin, cleaning the blood that would otherwise stain the metal.

Searching the camp earned us a map of the Warrens, and even some additional information regarding where we may find ourselves in battle. An odd contraption lay not too far from where we found the map. Curious it was, looking benign in nature, a simple tanning rack.

Why was I surprised to find out that it was more than it appeared and my mind was penetrated by a darkness I have never before witnessed. It made me lightheaded, my knees weak. I stumbled and struggled to retain my balance and overall sanity. The moment passes, but something felt off inside me... there was a darkness I could feel brewing.

No one else seemed to have been affected by this, and were already heading out towards the next section of the Warrens. Shaking my head, I quickly move to catch up, trying to piece together what had just happened to me.

StarSlayer points towards the map and indicates to us an existence of some 'market' that may or may not be on the other side. While my curiousity has been sated for the time being, the others looked eager to see what may be in store for us.

Brigants, and one that wasn't so small. Pulling out my pistol, I quickly fire a shot towards the Fussilier that was attempting to find better cover from us. The bullet found its mark through the head. Hearing a click, I realized that I was not the only gunman in this fight. The brute himself had a pistol! Albeit, not maintained and in poor condition, it went clean through the armour Trashman was wearing. Death was near for our Crusader, but his Faith kept him from falling to the wound.

Within me, I felt it. A shooting pain as though it was I who had been shot. This made no sense, but here I was rearing from this discomfort that engulfed my every sense. Moving my hand felt light, delayed, as though the very fabric of reality was in question.

I could see StarSlayer ending yet another one of the Bandits with his sword, but could not for the life of me decipher his motions. They were more fluid than usual, as though he was made of water. My vision began to tunnel, which did not bode well for the already dark cavern which we currently reside in.

We all took a knee and passed some of our rations around. I struggled for a bit, trying to fix my coordination. It was welcomed though, despite the food lacking in any flavour. All I could taste was the wretchedness of the Warren itself. My mouth quickly mashed down and I swallowed with a slight wince. We were on our feet once again, proceeding back on our mission.

Trashman fell to a knee, seemingly becoming eroded with stress, only to rise with his sword in hand. Seems like Faith once again proved useful to have in these times, the power of God allowing for a fierce recovery from the horrors we face.

Walking further into the Warren seemed to take forever, from one dark room to the next, from one sight I wish never to see again to the next. None were quite as vile as the room we found ourselves in. Meat, rotten and fresh, human and otherwise, hung from various points in the ceiling. The blood dripped from each corpse, the putrid scent of decay stained my very lungs.

Cultists greeted us, bringing us back to a harsher reality. They were dispatched quickly and efficiently, allowing them no quarter at this time. Not that they'd give us any proper discussion aside from our deaths.

Seemed they were organizing some books which caught the attention of Scourge. Rare were books one could read in the hands of pigmen, most were either destroyed by poor care or stained from the blood of those who carried them. Upon reading the one open on the stand, Scourge of Ages makes a rather interesting sound, one of disgust perhaps, hard to tell. This seemed to stir a previously unseen fortitude within her person.

Continuing on brought us to a shrine which to our surprise, had no Cultists around to serve. Perhaps those were the ones we had killed earlier, but now was not the time to question and ponder the ways of the Old Gods. Fortunately for us, the nature of the pigmen's hoarding gave us some decent stuff to carry back with us.

That is of course, if we make it out of here alive.

Cultists once again appeared, and we once again cut them down like dogs. I would not call them savage, but they were by no means civilized in their practices. These ones proved to be weak at any rate. Perhaps they ought to have just left the pigmen to fight on their own? Might've been a better fight.

Alas, sometimes it is best to keep these thoughts in the back of one's mind. Upon entering what seemed like the final marker on the map, the party was demonstrated the intelligence of our foe. Carrion Eaters, disgusting worms which discerned not what they decided to feast upon, being herded as it were by a lone pigman. Seems as though even they knew how to control others, rather than just being controlled themselves.

One lunges towards Trashman, the teeth sinking right through the armour plating as though it wasn't even there. StarSlayer begins to lose it, seeing these monstrosities act with such primal desires. Trashman saw this as an opportunity for revenge, striking the Herder down with a single strike allowing the rest of us to dispatch the repulsive vermin.

The dust settles.

Victory was ours at last.

Obviously more to write, but I am le tired

"No"